IGNORED

who here is an insurance expert need help

pmelah

one of my girlfriends was in a wreck 3 weeks ago and the insurance company just offered her 166.00 totaled yes thats correct in what you see one hundred and sixty six dollars for her truck its a 94 jeep grand Cherokee 4x4 the jeep has damage on the left bumper fender and hood she had full coverage on it which i thought was a waste the truck is derivable his is a small co. out of Minnesota offering this i think its a scam kbb shows 1800.00 it would take about 400.00 to fix thats the cheap way at a shop 1000.00 this co. told her she could not drive it that they own it by law and she will get in trouble if she drives it im at a loss except scam MS is a title state if you have the title you own it no other paperwork is accepted other than title bond and even that is disputable by the original title holder or lien agent and she holds the title free and clear also the idiots wont produce the written law in black and whit does this sound like attorney time opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated

it was a one vehicle accident she swerved to avoid hitting a stupid cage stopped at RR crosing and no gates were down the lights were not flashing and the cage driver said yea was stopped these tracks havent seen a train in 3 yrs and have been cut from the main network from what i was told not sure about that but my thing is 166.00 offer and the truck is considerd totaled by them because of age

Texas law says like kind and quality, The vehicle is returned to its condition within (I believe 20 seconds ) before the accident. (designed for multi car accidents). Pull ebay adds, craigs list adds, and yes KBB pricing as well as NADA, auto trader. Also add any accessories, radio, bumpers, hitches, window tint, dual exhaust, vent visors, anything that adds value, or cost money. The loss estimator and the claims adjustor are usually two different people. Get your facts together and have a sit down with your information. A total loss is usually 60% of the value of the vehicle in repairs. Let them justify to you in writing where their numbers are at.

Do not sign until you are good and ready.

Good Luck.

Bill

thanks ok my phone has been cut off so the computer will be left on at the house until the power gets cut :rotf: dam bill ok anyway ill check back i got to ride to her house and get some more facts about her scam insurance

Don't see how the insurance company feels that they own her vehicle. They don't own squat until she signs over the title.

If I am not mistaken, Texas also has an insurance commissioner. If you are not happy with the way the insurance company is treating you, you can always file a complaint with the insurance commissioner's office. Then they have to justify what they are doing/did to that office. Cheaper than an attorney who is going to take 1/3 right off the top.

Black owl you are correct they dont own squat I think she got hold of someone who was having a bad day and just didnt want to talk right a:confused24:nd you would figure to get good service from a small company not in this case

Don't see how the insurance company feels that they own her vehicle. They don't own squat until she signs over the title.

You are so correct Black Owl ...

When I wrecked my RSV, my insurance company went to the towing place that had my bike and had it on a tow truck on its way to another town to be auctioned off THAT NIGHT..

AFTER they loaded the bike on the tow truck and departed is when my insurance agent called me to tell me that the bike is totaled, and that he was on his way over to my home to cut me a check. When he arrive, and told me the amount of the check he was going to give me ($800.00) I told him to get lost and that there is no way I would settle for that low amount. He said well its to late because the bike is on a tow truck at this very moment on its way to be auctioned off tonight.. I said REALLY NOW.....

I then grabbed my cell phone and told the jerk that he has 1 minute to call that tow truck and have my bike delivered right here to my house or I am calling the police because YOU stole my motorcycle... I never signed anything and until I do that bike belongs to me...and I will sue you with everything I have so get my bike back here now.

He made the call and the bike was delivered right to my garage door .

Don't let your insurance company walk over you...take your vehicle to a place and get estimates for repairs..if the vehicle is able to be fixed consider fixing it yourself..

It

Every state has a department that is charged with an insurance oversight. Pull some sold's from ebay and ask some local dealers what they sold a like one for. They will be happy to share some paperwork, minus the owners info if you ask them right. You are lookin for kbb retail in fair condition, not wholesale or or trade in. It's worth more in scrap than what they are offering. Don't sign a thing and ask to speak to a supervisor. They only have to speak with the insured.

Having spent the past 20 years working for/with insurance companies I can tell you that one of the things a claims adjust does not want to hear is "I want to speak to a regional manager."

And a regional manager definitely does not want to hear "I am going to the insurance commissioner."

So, if your friend is not happy with the way she is being treated, tell her to start working her way up the food chain.

But, and this is a BIG but, make sure she has her ducks in a row.....

time, date, name of person dealt with, etc

:15_8_211[1]:

You are so correct Black Owl ...

When I wrecked my RSV, my insurance company went to the towing place that had my bike and had it on a tow truck on its way to another town to be auctioned off THAT NIGHT..

AFTER they loaded the bike on the tow truck and departed is when my insurance agent called me to tell me that the bike is totaled, and that he was on his way over to my home to cut me a check. When he arrive, and told me the amount of the check he was going to give me ($800.00) I told him to get lost and that there is no way I would settle for that low amount. He said well its to late because the bike is on a tow truck at this very moment on its way to be auctioned off tonight.. I said REALLY NOW.....

I then grabbed my cell phone and told the jerk that he has 1 minute to call that tow truck and have my bike delivered right here to my house or I am calling the police because YOU stole my motorcycle... I never signed anything and until I do that bike belongs to me...and I will sue you with everything I have so get my bike back here now.

He made the call and the bike was delivered right to my garage door .

Don't let your insurance company walk over you...take your vehicle to a place and get estimates for repairs..if the vehicle is able to be fixed consider fixing it yourself..

It

My 2 cents:

Everyone should re-read the comment above and understand the standard insurance scam; If they have your vehicle, they are in the driver's seat. Do not let them have it. If the vehicle cannot be driven, tow it to your house or a friend, or a storage unit. Sometimes the police will even insist that you must have it towed to a storage yard. Generally this is not true and the cop is simply being lazy or feels challenged. Charge the insurance company for storage and demand a rental car. The insurance company does not want to spend money and they will be more willing to meet reasonable demands of value. They will always lowball the first offer. As someone else has said, prepare documentation that supports your claim of value. KBB, NADA, Craigslist, newspaper . . . local value is best. :080402gudl_prv:

My 2 cents:

Everyone should re-read the comment above and understand the standard insurance scam; If they have your vehicle, they are in the driver's seat. Do not let them have it. If the vehicle cannot be driven, tow it to your house or a friend, or a storage unit. Sometimes the police will even insist that you must have it towed to a storage yard. Generally this is not true and the cop is simply being lazy or feels challenged. Charge the insurance company for storage and demand a rental car. The insurance company does not want to spend money and they will be more willing to meet reasonable demands of value. They will always lowball the first offer. As someone else has said, prepare documentation that supports your claim of value. KBB, NADA, Craigslist, newspaper . . . local value is best. :080402gudl_prv:

Except for the highlighted comment you are correct. If YOU put the car in a storage facility, YOU are responsible for any charges incurred. The insurance company has no legal obligation to pay that expense.

Also, you can demand a rental car all you want, BUT if you do not have rental coverage on your policy, they do not have to give you a rental vehicle. With insurance, you only get what you pay for, not what you would like to have.

I found an independent appraiser when my car was in an accident and the insurance company wanted to total it. In my state the insurance company will try to total it if they think it will cost 70% of value to fix it and they had set the value way too low. Are you sure they are not offering to sell it back after settlement for $166?

The insurance company will usually try to total if it's more than a small accident because many times there are cost overruns when the restoration process is underway. If they can get you to accept a lowball total offer it's much more cost effective for them.