IGNORED

Camping and alternate to air mattereses

etcswjoe

Last week in Vogel we set up our tent and everything was good till we realized the air mattress had a slow leak. It seems that every air mattress we buy only last once or twice so I am asking is there a compact alternative or a decent air mattress out there?

Edited by etcswjoe

Thermarest is best and they have every size and thickness up to 2". If you really cant keep sharp objects away from it though you may want a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Therm-Z-Lite-Sleeping-Regular-Coyote/dp/B00453NA1E]Amazon.com: Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite Sleeping Pad (Regular, Coyote/Gray): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510kBNyPBfL.@@AMEPARAM@@510kBNyPBfL[/ame] from Thermarest. It doesn't inflate because it's a closed cell foam pad that folds up fairly compact. There's different versions of this too. You will get your best rest on a thicker inflatable, provided it remains leak-free but the trade-off is bulk. The Z Lite is less comfortable, bulky, but always performs.

Been using the same two Coleman air mattresses for years. Only had one small leak in mine and that was my own fault. Quick patch and its still doing service today. Only had one fail me. It was 8 years old and i flopped down on it. The entire top seam blew out. Quick drop to ground level. Then i got the Coleman's.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

+1 on the Themorest. I have two of them. They roll up compact, inflate themselves ( via memory foam), and are very comfortable. I also got tired of buying those air mattresses then use them twice and wake up on the ground anyway. I have had my Thermorests for 8-10years and they still work great. The best I've found!

WNY rally I tried a new combination of a 1/2 cheap blue foam pad and a military self inflating pad and slept very comfortably. Still no comparison to a Coleman air bed. Mine is many years old and I will be going back to it.

Thermarest is the only thing for me. Don't over inflate it though they are more comfortable when they're floppy. I pack a patch kit with mine and only had to use it once in the 20 years I have had it. Patch kit installs with glue and cures by setting a pan of boiling water on it to simulate the heat of an iron. Slick! Anyway, we've tried other copies and they don't roll up as tightly as the Thermarest. I've used mine for 4 season backpack camping and it hasn't failed to deliver yet! even after all this time I can still get the roll down to 6 or 7 inches in diameter without loss of comfort.

Best!

-JK