IGNORED

Bikers Code

AngryAmish

"The Bikers Code" reads… Never ride off and leave anyone you rode out with, if they break down you pull over and wait, come hell or high water bikers do not abandon a brother or sister. Remember life is about the journey, the ride, not getting there. You already are there.

And don't just help bikers; show the world that we are better than our image portrays us. Courtesy costs you nothing and it brings honor and respect to the biker nation.

"The Bikers Code" reads… Never ride off and leave anyone you rode out with, if they break down you pull over and wait, come hell or high water bikers do not abandon a brother or sister. Remember life is about the journey, the ride, not getting there. You already are there.

And don't just help bikers; show the world that we are better than our image portrays us. Courtesy costs you nothing and it brings honor and respect to the biker nation.

I second that one. As stated you are already there. When were out riding we are in no rush and stop for anyone broke down

Uh ohhh. Somebody must've gotten left on the side of the road by their biker friends.

Reminds me of when my fuel pump went out and I was bypassing it on the shoulder on I-77 must have been a couple dozens bikes went by, did have a couple of cars stop.

When I was younger I stopped in my truck one day and picked up a really rough looking guy on an old pan head he asked why I stopped so I told him your a biker you can't be that bad. I dropped him off about 20 miles up the road at a gas station where he called a friend to come pick him and the bike up. When I finished pumping my gas he was gone and when I went to pay the clerk told me my buddy paid for gas and handed me a couple bucks in change.

A few nights ago I was riding and saw an old Suzuki at the side of the road, I pulled over and asked if everything was ok. He said bike started to sputter and died. I asked him if he was alone, he said he was riding with a buddy and that his buddy couldn't wait and stick around. I asked him if he had fuel, he said his gauge is marking 1/4 left. I asked him how many miles he did on the tank (don't recall how much he told me he did). So I told I was going to the nearest gas station, get some fuel and try to see if maybe he ran out of gas. Did that, poured gas in the tank and bike started right away. His gauge was not working properly. He thanked me, I refused any payment from him, I told he can pay me back by Paying it Forward !! We exchanged phone numbers. He told me he was glad he made a new friend because he just lost one a few hours earlier for abandoning him.

AA

A few months ago Patrolman46 and I were traveling in his pickup south of Torrington WY. We stopped to help and elderly couple pulling a trailer. They had tire trouble. Very hot day. Dan was well prepared. Floor Jacks, Air tank, 18v Dewalt impact. We had them on the road again in less than 30 minutes. Several vehicles passed by and luckily we did not need them to stop. However one lone biker slowed down and motioned for a status. I gave him the thumbs up and he continued on his way. Made me feel good that someone else made an attempt to stop, especially a biker. :)

Dang, I haven't thought of this in years. Back in the early 60's down in Azusa Ca. I was riding home on a dark and deserted road around 10 at night and passed a bike parked off to the side. Flipped a U, and stopped to see if I could help. . The rider was on his knees groping around on the ground. No flashlight. He explained that he'd been pulled over by a cop and given a ticket, and after the cop took off he couldn't find his key. Figured he'd dropped on the ground somewhere. It was a UK bike, and back then they didn't have cut keys like they do now. Just one of those stamped out El Cheapo one key fits all things. So being a UK rider myself I whipped out my trusty universal screw driver and turned the ignition on, the bike fired and he was one happy camper.... Told him to pass it on...

Dang, I haven't thought of this in years. Back in the early 60's down in Azusa Ca. I was riding home on a dark and deserted road around 10 at night and passed a bike parked off to the side. Flipped a U, and stopped to see if I could help. . The rider was on his knees groping around on the ground. No flashlight. He explained that he'd been pulled over by a cop and given a ticket, and after the cop took off he couldn't find his key. Figured he'd dropped on the ground somewhere. It was a UK bike, and back then they didn't have cut keys like they do now. Just one of those stamped out El Cheapo one key fits all things. So being a UK rider myself I whipped out my trusty universal screw driver and turned the ignition on, the bike fired and he was one happy camper.... Told him to pass it on...

Condor = Macgyver. :cool10:

Guest bodasefus

A week ago when I broke down on interstate 75 when my brakes locked up... the only people that stopped was a State Trouper and a Road Ranger... Neither could help or had any Brake fluid... A group of apx 30 cruisers, harleys and other cruisers and no one stopped... Finally a Hayabusa stopped and we were able to free up the brakes to get it down to the next exit... I was along the side of the road for 2 hours before able to move the bike...

I guess they never read the code,,, or maybe as they ride harleys,,, they can't read...

Previous post did remind me : I stopped a few months back near the home in my truck when a Vulcan had the brakes lock up and was not able to safely get off the road. Since it was close to the house I got some wrenches and orange safety cones. Soon others on crotch rockets stopped and eventually off he went. There is nothing that stinks more than being stranded with no where to pull over and cool down while other bikes and people ride by...staring at you.

Well I can say we've never abandoned anyone that we've ridden with that broke down or had some sort of trouble. We also stop for all sorts whether folks on bikes women alone in a car or with kids, or older folks.

I can't imagine leaving someone on the side of the road that I'm riding with.

Margaret

A few weeks ago I had picked my son up from work and headed home. When we got to our exit off I-81 I saw a bike on the side and stopped. He was removing his rear wheel, had a flat. I told him that I had everything in my garage to fix it and balance the tire. He said no thanks, he d had every thing with him to do that. It was a very hot day so I had my son to go over to the BP gas station and get us something to drink and stayed with him till he was on the road again. I won't leave anybody on the side of the road.

A week ago when I broke down on interstate 75 when my brakes locked up... the only people that stopped was a State Trouper and a Road Ranger... Neither could help or had any Brake fluid... A group of apx 30 cruisers, harleys and other cruisers and no one stopped... Finally a Hayabusa stopped and we were able to free up the brakes to get it down to the next exit... I was along the side of the road for 2 hours before able to move the bike...

I guess they never read the code,,, or maybe as they ride harleys,,, they can't read...

I was on my Vulcan 2000 my first time at Yellowstone and I pulled off onto what looked like a turnout only to find that it was very soft ground and somewhat below the level of the road, which itself was an 8" thick layered stack of tarry black impediment. I tried to drive out of there but was merely sinking my rear wheel into the dirt. A couple of guys in Halloween colors rode past and looked and I was freaked when I saw them actually come back around. These guys were much larger than most normal humans. They had me steady the bike while the largest of the two actually lifted the front wheel and the other guy pulled it so that the front wheel at least was back on the road. Then they pushed while I drove out of there and back onto the road. I didn't know what to do, didn't want to cheapen the whole thing by offering cash so I just said "Thanks", and I'm writing this as well to pay them back for helping me and to say not all Harley riders are asses. As a matter of fact some of my best friends are Harley riders. :confused24:

Just this morning I stopped on I-85 to assist a bike on the side. He was OK and the bike was OK, he was looking for something in his trunk. He asked me if I always stopped for bikes on the side, I told him I always stop for any mode of transportation on the side.

:farmer:

I was surprised that with all of the issues that I had on the way home from MD, not one single biker even asked if there was anything they could do to help me out. I was in a rest area with parts of the bike scattered all over the parking lot. There were many bikes of about every brand and style bike that stopped at the rest area and just walked past looking but not saying a word.

I ride withe the perfect example of a guy they pattered this code by. Some of you know him as Phoneman1981. He is the most helpful guy in the world & he knows somebody everywhere that can help in any situation. I have only been biking with Mark for 3 years and I could write 10,000 words, and tell of numerous stories I have personally witnessed. We are really lucky to have this great group of guys & gals here @ VRO to fall back on, but stopping and helping a stranger is the ultimate "Paying It Forward".

Keep up the good work and thoughts. What goes around, does come around.

In this day and age, not to defend folks, but instead to say that many of these folks dont know the code. The code is very old school 50, 60 + years old and I have to say, probably initiated by 1% clubs that never left a brother behind (much like the military)

My Grandfathers, both Mother and Father side rode bikes, so I knew of the code and paying it forward at a young age. I always stop or slow down if I see a bike on the side of the road. Even if it's a slow drive by and ask if they are ok to see a thumbs up or not. I do it with vehicles as well, but I have to admit that I do stereotype. If I see some kid with the the lime green slammed fart muffler car, I usually dont stop. I KNOW he has a cell phone, and there are some things that you need to know and be able to do. Like say, changing a flat tire. Will I stop if I see a lot of distress, yeah, I will. I'll also stop if I see a carload of women in distress and perhaps not really knowing what or how to do something.

I am a pay it forward type guy, but in this day and age, there are lots of scams and robberies that are taking place under the guise of a stranded motorist. With that said, we all need to be careful when approaching a situation like this....:2cents:

But good on ya Amish for following the code :thumbsup2: