IGNORED

Shipping a bike internationally

DarkLeftArm

Good morning, everybody.

I haven't been around much for a while. Just had a shoulder replacement, and have some time on my hands, though, and that is ALWAYS dangerous.

I have been starting to plan a trip to the United Kingdom next spring, to go to the Isle Of Man for the Tourist Trophy races. I also have a friend who lives up on Shetland island who has invited me to come to their big motorcycle rally called Simmer Dim. I looked into renting a bike for a month, and holy catfish, that was enough to make me start looking at shipping my own bike over there. I have been real surprised how inexpensive it is to ship from L. A.

The shippers I have contacted talk like there are possibly fees and taxes I'll have to pay. I attempted to contact the British consulate, but had no luck with that, yet.

Just figured I'd float this here.

I know this forum has a lot of experience with a LOT of different topics.

Thanks

Bert

#KIC... Har de har har. :rotf:

#flyinfool:

Turns out that is the best choice. I found a guy in Ireland who provides this service. Ireland's laws make it real easy for this to happen, and used bikes are CHEAP. I've been surfing the ie version of craigslist today, looking at all the bikes we can't get here.

And this guy I found seems very genuine. His travelogues remind me of that Miles character that was here for awhile. Just simply loves motorcycling, and the people that ride.

Other than paying the normal import custom dues, you of course have the cost of shipping. Make sure you find a qualified and reputable international Non-Vessel Operator Common Carrier (NVOCC). My recommendation would be Carotrans or Kintetsu. Both have offices all over California. Motorcycles are considered dangerous cargo by the International Maritime Organization and if shipped with fuel in the fuel tank (must not be more than 1/4 full) the bike must be "declared" as UN3166, Vehicle, Flammable Liquid Powered, Class 9. If the fuel is completely drained, the motor run until it stalls for lack of fuel, the battery disconnected and the cables taped back to prevent short circuiting, the bike will be considered as non-dangerous cargo. Do not allow anyone to tell you the battery must be removed, they are absolutely wrong. 49 CFR in 176.905 (which you can google) explains all the requirements but Special Provision 962 of the International Dangerous Goods Code also applies. The title will have to be presented to a customs agent for clearance before loading the vessel. I say vessel because I assume you are not interested in air shipment and if you are, the cost of air shipment is about 15 times the amount of surface transport (rail, truck and vessel). I would also make darn sure your NVOCC makes their booking with a highly trained steamship operator (Hyundai, APL or Hapaq Lloyd to name a few). Your bike will be palletized for loading in a ocean container with lots of other freight, so make sure you personally supervise that process (and approve their methods) cause they will be using banding material to secure the bike to a "double" pallet or a specially constructed pallet. A good experienced NVOCC will construct a large wooden box for loading your bike. I highly recommend that for international transport. The bike will move from the USWC by rail to most likely New York where it will be loaded on a container vessel for a 8 day voyage probably to Felixstowe, GB where import duties will have to be paid or perhaps your NVOCC can arrange prepayment. That depends on the NVOCC you choose and the services they provide. Basically the better their services are, the more you are going to have to pay.

Cost will vary depending on the NVOCC you choose and the vessel operator they make their booking with.

Don't ask me how I know all this stuff.

Herb

Motorcycle insurance? are you covered over there.

If not how much...:mo money:

Also: good luck driving on the left side of the road...that would freak me out...LOL

Lol! I already had my freak out in Australia.I think a bike will be easier than a car was. In the car, you are on the wrong side. and have to shift gears(i specifically asked for a standard just for the thrill factor)

The hardest part was blind curves and roundabouts. I could never really relax. One second into instinctive driving put me in danger. Had to concentrate the whole time. I think it made me a better driver.

A bike imported from here is hard to insure. A bike purchased there is easy...

Just picking up info from another forum I belong to.

Other than paying the normal import custom dues, you of course have the cost of shipping. Make sure you find a qualified and reputable international Non-Vessel Operator Common Carrier (NVOCC). My recommendation would be Carotrans or Kintetsu. Both have offices all over California. Motorcycles are considered dangerous cargo by the International Maritime Organization and if shipped with fuel in the fuel tank (must not be more than 1/4 full) the bike must be "declared" as UN3166, Vehicle, Flammable Liquid Powered, Class 9. If the fuel is completely drained, the motor run until it stalls for lack of fuel, the battery disconnected and the cables taped back to prevent short circuiting, the bike will be considered as non-dangerous cargo. Do not allow anyone to tell you the battery must be removed, they are absolutely wrong. 49 CFR in 176.905 (which you can google) explains all the requirements but Special Provision 962 of the International Dangerous Goods Code also applies. The title will have to be presented to a customs agent for clearance before loading the vessel. I say vessel because I assume you are not interested in air shipment and if you are, the cost of air shipment is about 15 times the amount of surface transport (rail, truck and vessel). I would also make darn sure your NVOCC makes their booking with a highly trained steamship operator (Hyundai, APL or Hapaq Lloyd to name a few). Your bike will be palletized for loading in a ocean container with lots of other freight, so make sure you personally supervise that process (and approve their methods) cause they will be using banding material to secure the bike to a "double" pallet or a specially constructed pallet. A good experienced NVOCC will construct a large wooden box for loading your bike. I highly recommend that for international transport. The bike will move from the USWC by rail to most likely New York where it will be loaded on a container vessel for a 8 day voyage probably to Felixstowe, GB where import duties will have to be paid or perhaps your NVOCC can arrange prepayment. That depends on the NVOCC you choose and the services they provide. Basically the better their services are, the more you are going to have to pay.

Cost will vary depending on the NVOCC you choose and the vessel operator they make their booking with.

Don't ask me how I know all this stuff.

Herb

Herb:

Thanks for this writeup.

I knew I would find somebody with a ton of info.

All this is making me less interested in shipping my bike. Especially the part about how many people would be handling it, and having to truck/train across the country first.

I would be hesitant to use a lowballer, that's for sure. Probably never see it again. Or worse yet, have it be all busted up when I did see it.

I think I'm just gonna buy one there!:cool10:

I have shipped my trike twice now with an Australian company called "Get Routed"

No one touches your bike but you, and they are in a sea-tainer. His cost includes marine insurance. He does a tour to the Isle of Man races every year. His name is Dave Milligan and he knows all the paperwork stuff too

I have now decided that the cut-off for price is about 3 weeks, I am going to buy a bike there. My trip will be about 6 weeks, and the more I look at shipping my bike, or renting one there, buying one is obviously the way to go.

Plus, now my trip includes Ireland!

Cheers.

Bert

Bert,

Now that I know you are rich enough to travel internationally and buy a bike on a whim, the cost of the center stand in my garage with your name on it just doubled, maybe tripled in price... :shock3:

:rasberry: