IGNORED

Zumo 660 or 665 locking up

saddlebum

Has any one else had issues with their Garmin 660 or 665 freezing or locking up. Mine began doing this on my trip to Galena I would unplug it and within a short time it would do it again. Sometimes it would not even turn on it would just faintly show Garmin on the screen and freeze there, at which point you can't even turn it off. the unit is just over a year old. I have called Garmin and talked to them about it and they. talked me through a reset but this did not help. So now I get to send it back to them and for $165 they will replace it, a little discouraging since I have only had it for a year and three months.

P/S I bought it from Best Buy and like a total idiot paid $89.00 for their so called replacement plan. When I walked in to get it replaced I was informed they could not replace it because they no longer carried it but that I would get a gift certificate of equal value to spend in the store instead. What a Joke.

Edited by saddlebum

Take the battery out and make sure the contacts are clean. Install and start it up again and see if that helps. Sometimes just a rub on your pants will do the trick for the contacts.

I have had to do this before. Hope it works for ya.

I'm not sure about the 660 and 665, but some GPS's have a reset button accessed with a pointed object. I had an older unit go wacko when in Ft Collins. Drove me nutz until the light bulb went on and I hit the reset. It's been sane ever since. I just noticed that my c550 has a rubber plug covering a hole near the volume control. Could it be???

I'm not sure about the 660 and 665, but some GPS's have a reset button accessed with a pointed object. I had an older unit go wacko when in Ft Collins. Drove me nutz until the light bulb went on and I hit the reset. It's been sane ever since. I just noticed that my c550 has a rubber plug covering a hole near the volume control. Could it be???

Did the reset with Garmin's tech support and it did not help

No it did not.

Try loading the previous working firmware/mapset. This will likely take care of it. Keep an eye on the Garmin site to see when a newer firmware is released and then try that.

This is not without precedent. In the LD community, it is common knowledge to never update a GPS right before a run. Kind of like never wake a sleeping baby.

RR

Try loading the previous working firmware/mapset. This will likely take care of it. Keep an eye on the Garmin site to see when a newer firmware is released and then try that.

This is not without precedent. In the LD community, it is common knowledge to never update a GPS right before a run. Kind of like never wake a sleeping baby.

RR

On the way home from WNY The Counts did the same thing and He said he had not updated it since 2011.

Hey gang

yest my unit is about 2 years old now and has not upgraded the map since the original map and is currently running the following software details

Zumo 665 Software Version 2.70

GPS 2.90

DSP 2.30

Text 2.80 (British English)

Voice 3.00 (American English - Jill)

Mount 0.00

Detailed maps are all 2009

Map Info

CN North American NT2011/10 3D

CN North America NT 2011.10

As Saddlebum indicated, the unit "froze up" when the route would "recalcuate" and specifically in the up-state WNY (Orchard Park/Buffalo/Niagara Falls area). I had this happen a few times, but not to the extent Ben has.

What happens when you go under Settings and use the Restore screen button??

Steve S

Basemap Worldwide Autorout DEM Basemap, NR 5.00

On the way home from WNY The Counts did the same thing and He said he had not updated it since 2011.

Don't know if this helps, this is mine:

Zumo 660 Software Version 4.90

GPS 2.90

DSP 2.30

Text 4.9 (American English)

Voice 2.40 (British English-Emily)

Mount 0.00

Detailed maps are all 2013

Map Info

CN North American NT2014/10 3D

CN North America NT 2014.10

Don't know if this helps, this is mine:

Zumo 660 Software Version 4.90

GPS 2.90

DSP 2.30

Text 4.9 (American English)

Voice 2.40 (British English-Emily)

Mount 0.00

Detailed maps are all 2013

Map Info

CN North American NT2014/10 3D

CN North America NT 2014.10

Have you cleared your trip log recently? Mine would freeze up till I started clearing mine.
My system is loaded identical to Carls all the same versions etc.

Yes they were all cleared before the trip and again when I had tech support try to help me out. Performed a factory reset no change.

It seems as though it has to cool down for a bit and then it comes back. Until it does it again.

My system is loaded identical to Carls all the same versions etc.

Yes they were all cleared before the trip and again when I had tech support try to help me out. Performed a factory reset no change.

It seems as though it has to cool down for a bit and then it comes back. Until it does it again.

Ben,

Now that you note "it has to cool down" I am thinking it may be the battery related issue, as it may be producing heat internally that is not exhausted or vented? Just a thought?

S2