IGNORED

Anybody had this electrical problem on their Venture ???

StarFan

Greetings fellow Venture riders.

Have an electrical problem that I was wondering if any of you were familiar with or would have any suggestions regarding what might cause it.

I bought a Millenium Venture from an insurance company here in Iceland and rebuilt it last winter. After rebuilding it (cosmetic issues) I rode it somewhere around 200 miles, shorter trips around 20 miles each time. Started right up and was purring like a kitten. The guy who bought it complained that on his third day of ownership the ignition switch started to act funny. He would have to wiggle the key to have it make contact and sometimes this would take some time to get it to engage. Well, being an honest guy I ordered another ignition switch an sent to him. In the mean time he did the bypass on the switch since he was going on a trip to Sweden with the bike. Worked just fine for two weeks then at a stop he turned the switch off but the lights and the fuel pump still were running. He had to pull the fuses to shut the power off.

When he came back home to Iceland with the bike I sent him the new ignition switch that he installed but still had this shut down proplem with the lights and fuel pump running. I knew that the ignition switch was not gonna fix that but at least there is no wiggling the key anymore and the switch works as it should.

Would any of you have any idea what might cause the lights and fuel pump to still be running after you switch the key off ??? The first thing that came to my mind was a stuck relay.

What do you guys think ? Any ideas ?

Any and all suggestions would be apreciated.

Friendly regards from Iceland,

Jonas / StarFan

Guest tx2sturgis

It does sound like a stuck relay, maybe the connectors or the relays themselves got banged around or possibly some humidity or rain got in them.

I'd try that first, replace the relays.

:happy34:

BTW, about once a year, I spray some WD-40 directly into the ignition switch opening using the little straw nozzle that they provide with the can. It keeps it working smoothly.

Yea Stuck relay guess here too, Open it up and I am almost positive there are some same size relays elsewhere on the bike you can trade out to diagnose, if it fixes it with the different relay, THEN go buy one. And relays are pretty easy to test.

Ummm, I'm thinking your purchaser screwed something up!! When you turn the key off, it kills all of the electricity to the relays...

Sorry, I'm on the road again and no access to the wiring diagram unless I download it to this netbook...

OK I now have the wiring diagram from the 2nd gen read only file. Jonas, disconnect the 2 pin connector to the ignition switch and see if the problem is still there and get back to me. It's the connector with the red, and brown wire to it...

Edited by bongobobny

OK I now have the wiring diagram from the 2nd gen read only file. Jonas, disconnect the 2 pin connector to the ignition switch and see if the problem is still there and get back to me. It's the connector with the red, and brown wire to it...

Thanks Bob.

I will have him do that and report back.

He and the bike are in Iceland but I am in Norway at the moment.