IGNORED

Water Cooled Harley on the way

Freebird

Stopped at a service plaza off I80 today. A guy parked beside me started talking and I learned that he is an engineer who works for Harley. Don't remember the department...PDQ or PQD or something like that. I assume product development something or another.

Anyway, he told me to hold on to my Road Glide because this is the last year. I already new that though. He then went on to tell me that when it comes back that it will be water cooled. Not only will it be water cooled but all the 103 CU IN and 110 CU IN engines will be water cooled. He said that there will be small radiators hidden in the lowers. He didn't say whether it would be next year or the following year. He did say that the engine is already being tested by some police department in Arizona.

Makes sense, they been sued for the heat issue. http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/07/29/california-court-sides-with-bikers-burned-by-their-twin-cam-harleys/

And lost.

And anyone who wants to know, this is a great read on the motor and HDs attitude. Contains info that could help avert a costly catastrophe.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

Edited by IronMike

Well, when those hit the streets there will be a lot of head scratching going on. Folks will have a hard time deciding whether that spot under the Harley is an oil leak or a coolant leak! :rotf::rotf:

Shouldn't be that hard...they taste different. I would give more consideration to a liquid cooled hardley though.

Hey Don, that is great to meet someone in his position at Harley. It has been the talk around the local H-D Chapters and on a few sites about the liquid cooled heads. As long as it Does Not Change the Sound it will go over good. One of my concerns with it being liquid cooled would be the low center of gravity that gives the Harley Great Handling, especially compaired to many liquid cooled engines. Can't wait until they make them, I will diffently be test riding one, and if it handles great moving up to a liquid cooled harley dresser. Later-

P.S. How was the ride for both of you on a longer ride with the RG?

The ride was excellent. The Road Glide handles like a dream. This may also be the first bike I've every owned that I will not change the seat on. It was exceptionally comfortable. I will be changing the handlebars next weekend however. Got that pain between the shoulders that I got on the RSV before installing the Flanders bars.

Eileen was very comfortable but could use a bit more room. There are multiple kits out there for moving the trunk back so I'll be doing that also.

Gas mileage was OK. I will get a better idea when I am not so heavily loaded but riding two up, pulling a heavily loaded trailer at 75 to 80 MPH on the Turnpike I got about 38 MPG. That is good enough for me.

The negative? Do NOT get caught in a Chicago traffic jam on these things. I've heard some complaints here about the RSV being hot but I never had a problem with that. This bike gets HOT. I mean hot to the point where it becomes almost unbearable on your inner thighs. It is just fine as long as you are moving but WOW....you do NOT want to be sitting in traffic. I had been warned about that though so it did not come as a surprise but it was worse than I expected.

I'm actually not crazy about the VOX intercom. Just can't seem to get it adjusted quite right. Set it too low and you have to speak to loud to activate it. Set it too high and you get a lot of wind noise activating it all the time. Have to play with it a bit more and see if I can find the sweet spot but at this point, I would prefer to have the mic-mutes setup.

Overall, so far, I am not at all disappointed in the purchase.

Hey Don on my RS I have an HD tour pak and they make a chrome slider By kuryakyn. Gives you four inches of slide, but seems like once you get out where you like it, it never moves. But on a solo trip you can load it up and move it fwd for better handling. And I may have mine for sale as now that I have the venture I'm going to take the Roadstar back to a Midnight Silverado. Might make a scooter trailer out of the tour PAC. Oh and the tour PAC has led lights if your interested.

.............Don't remember the department...PDQ or PQD or something like that. I assume product development something or another.

Well it cant be PDQ... that means Pretty Darn Quick......or.. Pretty Darn Quiet..

so PDQ must be correct...:rasberry:

Hey Don, glad you enjoyed the ride. And yes, 38 mpg is not bad when loaded two up pulling a trailer. As far as heat, your right, the HD does get hot, hot, hot. Many have gone to true dual Ceramic Coated exhaust and eliminate the 02 sensor. This will help tremendously. My three complaints about the harley has been simular to yours, Handlebars Pullback, Exhaust Heat, and more Passenger Room. Other than these things, I truly enjoy the Harley. Have Fun, Later-

What is really gonna happen if they come out with a water cooled motor that functions well and is durable is that every other manufacturer is gonna poop in their pants.

People will be jumping to Harley in droves.

They already pooped . I just read a report on line that HD has 60% of all the motorcycle business. Thats 40% to spread around all the other brands .Wow, and to think this company almost went bye bye.

I wouldn't want it shaft drive I like the no lag feel . Plus less parts to worry about.

Hey Don how do you like how that motor runs when the front jug shuts down. Mike and I just back from a 1500 + mile trip to and around the Dragon last night. Rode in all the weathers and about 12 hours a day with not a single problem. Did I ever mention that my RGU is the best riding bike I have ever had ? :)

Well the only time it shuts down is when I am stopped and it is hot. You can certainly tell when it's running on one but it's actually kind of neat I think. At any rate, it sure doesn't bother me.

My one and only complaint so far is that heat when you get stuck in traffic. That will get somewhat better though once I get the catalytic convertor out of there. That will be done within the next few weeks.

Not that you would ever want to but we found out by accident that the rear jug shut down switch can be turned off.. It is amazing to me what all can be done with modern day electronic wizardry.. Yapping with the HD folks out at sturgis about the water cooling that is coming,, heads only and it sounds like this is REALLY gonna help on the hot leg syndrome.. I think its already been mentioned but the fans are tentavily gonna be mounted on the lowers.. I am really not clear where they are going to go with the warm air off the rads/fans,, hopefully not back onto the riders legs...

Hey don, I have helped two friends with the Cat removal on thier bikes and it really helps!!! Did the RG come with an oil cooler on it?? Not to sound dumb but if it didnt getting that hot oil out for cooling may help too!!

Another something crazy I have thought about.. I know that HD has really struggled to meet regs and have to run their bikes as lean as possible to pass regs, life has taught me that this alone makes one hot engine AND may add in creating the need for higher octane fuels .. The race tuners HD is selling are tunable at every 200 rpms,, I wonder if purchasing the race tuner (450 bucks - ouch), dropping the cats and running fatter on the bottum would actually make em run cooler,,, just yappin off the cuff... be fun to have a dyno and the equiptment to play with one...

Love this stuff....

I have wondered for years why HD dont use oil coolers on thier bikes. It only makes sense to me. Shoot they had them on the old XR 750's, Triumph had them on thiers in the 60's and 70's. Victory has had them since they started.

Its a terrible thing you got to spend $1000 or more to make it to where you can ride it without baking. The new Voyagers had some pretty big cooking issues too.

The new Vulcan voyagers had severe issues with heat on your right leg. They addressed it by putting a shield or tube that is supposed to redirect the heat away from riders leg. To what extent it is successful idk. The voyagers are liquid cooled, but I read somewhere not through the entire engine, just the fins. I test rode one. Ran fine, and nice handling. But that right leg was beyond HOT.

My new Road Glide did come with a decent sized oil cooler. It is fairly effective as long as you are moving. It's when you get stuck in a traffic jam that the heat is noticeable.

The new bikes have the CAT in what I think they call the "mid pipe". I took my bike in for the first service yesterday and learned that my dealer has an exchange program. I can remove the pipe and bring it in and they will exchange it for one with the cat for $100.00. I will be doing that within the next couple of weeks.

Otherwise, so far, I have no complaints about the bike. There are some things that I like better about the RSV but there are things that I like better about the Road Glide. They are both great bikes.

Surely you would only have that pipe installed as a "test" pipe rite??? (cough cough) On the oil cooler front an idea for ya. Dont know if you could hide it enough for your liking but a small computer case fan could be mounted to the cooler and it would draw air to help cool. Most run off 12v dc and draw nothing for power.They come in all sizes.

Well the only time it shuts down is when I am stopped and it is hot. You can certainly tell when it's running on one but it's actually kind of neat I think. At any rate, it sure doesn't bother me.

My one and only complaint so far is that heat when you get stuck in traffic. That will get somewhat better though once I get the catalytic convertor out of there. That will be done within the next few weeks.

Thats the only time they shut down , its called parade mode . Put the stage one kit on it from fuel moto . Big difference, then get the 107 kit . It is a whole new bike . I thinking about handle bars too. Let me know what you decide and why.

Eddie, I put on the HD Heritage style bars that fit the Road Glide. They cost about 80 dollars. They are about 2 inches taller than stock and give about 3 more inches of pullback if I remember right. I really like them. I recommended them to Don as well, not sure if that is what he went with.

I also have done the stage 1 upgrade (exhaust, air breather, and tuner) it really helps the heat. There is also a mid frame heat deflector that you can attach right below the seat. I put a set on mine as well, it helps with the heat as well as covering up the space behind the motor where the crossover pipe used to be located. Now that the crossover is underneath there is a big space where there isnt anything and the shield helps in that regard as well. There are several companies that make the deflectors, I saw them at the Kuryakyn tent at Sturgis right inside the entrance. I think the cost is 40-50 bucks for that as well. These are the HD ones. Aftermarkets are somewhat cheaper.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/mid-frame-air-deflectors

I too went with the Heritage bars. I think I am going to like them but won't know for sure until I do a good trip on it. My initial feelings were that I wished they had even a bit more pullback but we'll see. They are certainly better than the stock bars.

My bike came with the mid frame air deflector. It is standard on the '13 models. My dealer told me that they offer an exchange for the pipe with the CAT. I pull mine off and take it in and they exchange it for one without a CAT for $100.00. I will do that over the next couple of weeks.

Otherwise, no other complaints right now. Eileen did complain a bit about not having quiet as much passenger room as she did on the RSV but I took care of that yesterday.