IGNORED

Detroit to Galena

ragtop69gs

The rotator cuff in my left shoulder gave out, just had a mri tonight so no riding anywhere, but we will be coming by jeep. We will be there Saturday nite.

Aw Man... that sucks, Hope the damage is minimal. At least you're still going :thumbsup2:

Barb and I live just west of Joliet, and if anybody wants to meet for dinner Saturday, we'll be there also. In fact, if you want me to suggest or even pick a place to meet, I'd be happy to. I'd just need to know about how many people, and what kind of place you want. We have 2 bedrooms what would be available. We won't be able to leave for Galena until after noon Sunday though. Our church has something planned for the 28th.

BongoBobny......If you want to avoid Chicago traffic, you may want to change your route. I'd stay on I-80 until Joliet (Larkin Ave) and then go north about 1/2 mile and pick up Rte. 52 west. Look at a map and from Joliet there are a lot of good state highways that'll take you on a much more relaxing route to Galena. Of course if you are going to Rockford first, your route is probably the best.

Frank

Thanks Frank! Our route is subject to change without notice! It all depends on how far we get Friday. I've taken the I355 route before on the way to the PIP and it seemed OK. Heavy traffic is OK but traffic JAMS are not!! I90 thru Chicago just plain sux!!!

best route to Chestnut Mountain is to take us 52 which you catch just North of Peru on I-39 Follow this to Savana, Il then up 84 to Hanover and just on the north side of Hanover you will see a sign for Chestnut Mountain and Blackjack Road turn left great ride and you miss most of Chicago and all of Rockford. We will have signs out around noon Sunday at the turns for the north end (off us 20) and south end (off hwy 84) of Blackjack road

Rockford looks a bit too far for some of our group. We will probably stop somewhere just SW of Chicago .

We are running US 12 almost all the way to Illinois

Im wondering if Im looking at the wrong location. I thought it was under 500 miles there. I might roll by myself . I will have to remap this.

Im wondering if Im looking at the wrong location. I thought it was under 500 miles there. I might roll by myself . I will have to remap this.

With the route Ragtop & I are taking mileage would be right around 460 miles to Galena with an overnighter spent near Joliet. Taking the freeway straight thru would be even shorter and probably quicker but we want to avoid the toll roads and freeways as much as possible.

Larry

Barb and I live just west of Joliet, and if anybody wants to meet for dinner Saturday, we'll be there also. In fact, if you want me to suggest or even pick a place to meet, I'd be happy to. I'd just need to know about how many people, and what kind of place you want.

Frank

We're planning on staying at the Red Roof Inn on Saturday night .(Any pros or cons?) I'm sure we would enjoy a meal that evening - we're pretty flexible. If you want to meet up in Joliet, we'll let you choose the restaurant :)

With the route Ragtop & I are taking mileage would be right around 460 miles to Galena with an overnighter spent near Joliet. Taking the freeway straight thru would be even shorter and probably quicker but we want to avoid the toll roads and freeways as much as possible.

Larry

2 lane backroads makes for a much nicer ride, just takes longer than slab riding. I enjoy the slower pace of backroads and small towns. Slab riding zips you past all the best parts of America, slow down and enjoy the scenery. :biker:

We plan to come through the Chicago area sometime Saturday afternoon or late afternoon, and plan to keep on I80 from Michigan. Any comments for a better route?

We will be driving, not riding, as the trailer needs to have a load-on to ride better.

Don't know why people are so afraid of Chi town traffic, either stay with traffic and roll or get in the right lane. Avoiding a jam is staying away from 6-9am CST or 3-6pm cst. Remember 55 usually means 65-70 except for work zones. ( and reminder the time changes 1 hr when you cross into Illinois or Illi noise)

"Chi town traffic" starts about Hammond Indiana and goes to about Joliet where it magically turns back into open road.

If you granny it in a left lane they will pass you and cut in front with the narrowest of margins, it's a hint to move to the right.

To avoid the "crazyness" you are going to have to Option 1: go as far south as rt 30 or Option 2: Take the ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin ( that is about a 2 1/2 hr trip ) or 3: Get off the expressway and take a main road through Chicago ( call it the urban trail) and during rush hour 6-9am CST or 3-6pm this is the way I choose to go, option 4: just ride through avoiding rush hour and realizing it ain't all that bad.

Other things that will influence traffic are hitting the end of a southside game (Go Sox) , oh wait they suck this year and no one is going to the games, nah

I've never made it thru Windy City on I90 without coming to a complete stop at least 5 times and lucky to do faster than 25 MPH! It's like it's a perpetual traffic jam! I have no issue with 80MPH bumper to bumper traffic, it's the sloooow trip thru the city that makes me want to avoid it like the plague...