IGNORED

Gunboat Memorial Ride

Squidley

Hey Folks,

Quite a lot has been happening at VRO with the passing of Gunboat. The Houston crew is still soaking all this in as it's hard to put into words what Don meant to all of us here.

There has been some talk about a memorial ride, and one of our members in Ohio (Campfire12) had mentioned about "people all over ventureland can make the ride in there own neck of the country and report in" I think this could really be a very cool thing.

Now I'm not going to jump right into this, I want to see how y'all feel about the entire VRO country having a M&E in their own state on a chosen day to celebrate Don's life. This would be a pretty good undertaking as we would have to pick a day. I want to mention that Aussie Annie has asked that when we do it in Texas, she would like to be here for it. That would be late August and I know she would appreciate it if we could accommodate her for that as she and Don had a good relationship.

I'd like to hear what the members think and feel about this. Regardless of the date, we in Texas will have a ride for Gunboat while Annie and Alan are in our state. I would love to see if we can all pull it off together...so what say ye brethren?

im in i will get up with the more seasoned vets at setting these M&E and see what we can do here in MS hey Eck you think you will be around in Aug for this or you might be back home in AL by then? maybe we could combine MS AL since we dont have as many members in our states

August is fine...

I'll see what I can do for WV...

Perhaps even combine some states since there is rather large cluster of us on the east coast...

If it's within our state, I vote for the new river Bridge or a longer Black water Falls/Cass RR ride.

Edited by CaptainJoe

I don't want to sound disrespectfull with all that's going on and feelings at this time, but it's hard enough to get one M&E going, let alone one in every state. Let me toss this out. How about a memorial post where all can participate at their own time by taking a pic of themselves in front of their state's 'Welcome Sign' and holding a placard with Gunboat's name on it. Then posting the pic to the Memorial Post. That way he'd be remembered around the world... Don't forget Aus, Ger, UK, Norway, etc. And more than one rider from a state can post. No limit... My :2cents:

I don't want to sound disrespectfull with all that's going on and feelings at this time, but it's hard enough to get one M&E going, let alone one in every state. Let me toss this out. How about a memorial post where all can participate at their own time by taking a pic of themselves in front of their state's 'Welcome Sign' and holding a placard with Gunboat's name on it. Then posting the pic to the Memorial Post. That way he'd be remembered around the world... Don't forget Aus, Ger, UK, Norway, etc. And more than one rider from a state can post. No limit... My :2cents:

That's a grate idea also...

although,

I kinda like the idea of getting everyone together...

im in i will get up with the more seasoned vets at setting these M&E and see what we can do here in MS hey Eck you think you will be around in Aug for this or you might be back home in AL by then? maybe we could combine MS AL since we dont have as many members in our states

No firm plans yet, but I'm trying to convince The Aussies to follow me home from Vogel. Then I just might take off to Texas with them. Don't know their schedule, but If I can convince them to stay more than one night we might Try a quick M&E here in the Jackson, MS area. :confused24:

Ok Folks,

It appears that we are in for a ride from the responses in this thread. Lets call the date Saturday August 31st, respective states post up in separate threads where your M&E will be and we'll do this. When all is done on the 31st, we'll either come back to this thread with the pics we took or we'll place them in an area where all can view them.

Thank You all again for jumping on the wagon with me here, this will be a very cool thing I believe and we will celebrate Gunboats life the way it should be celebrated, with wind in our faces :thumbsup2:

BTW: If folks want to do multiple M&E's in the same state due to the states size, please do this.