IGNORED

Waiting to buy...

I own a Royal Star Venture,same engine etc. The RSTD is just more of a cruiser set up of my bike and indeed a great bike. Now,If you like the thumper sound of a V Twin it will never sound that way but if you just want a great bike it will last you a long time. That said it has its quirks as do most any bike. You will notice a gear whine,slight, but if you dwell on it it will seem to worsen. Also expect after a little while you will hear a clicking noise from the rear end area...It is usually dry splines that Yamaha will fix(Lube the splines). Put a set of Avon Venoms on it and the handling is greatly improved. NOW just ride it like you stole it! (This covers why not and why you should buy it...I think.) Tom

:scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

The only reason I can think to NOT buy is if you like to spend a lot of time wrenching on your scoots before you go riding. These things are almost maintenance free. The ride is very smooth, engine pulls good, ergos fit me pretty well too.

A new seat is all thats needed to keep it livable, of course most bikes have crappy stock seats.

Hope this helps, good luck deciding.

They do have a few common problems.

Noises in the Rear Drive assembly's, some have never had the problem, others have had lots of problem's here. Sombody will chime in on this item.

Many folks install a one size narrower front tire, to improve low speed steering in parking lots.

There have been clutch problems, also, check with those that have experienced this.

The 1st Gen bikes have clutch problems also, but not hard to fix.

The RSTD is a great bike, it just depends upon what creature comforts you want in a bike. If you do a lot of solo riding then I would say it's perfect for you. Now if your into a lot of long distance riding and will be 2 up then the RSV is a better bet with everything you could ask for. Lots of passenger room and very comfotable....you can't go wrong with either one

:happy34:

I have a 07 RSTD and love it even in the short time I've owned it. The electroic cruise is great, handles great. Plenty of power for interstate riding. No real complaints, I added the UTOPIA Backrest, well worth the $189.00. easy to install too. center of gravity is higher than the 1100 I had. plenty of leg room.

Jim Bell

There have been clutch problems, also, check with those that have experienced this.

I hadn't heard of any clutch problems. Is it for a partitular year?

I have not had or heard of any clutch problems..I know some have added a heavier spring or something as such.

The RSTD is a great bike. As Squid said, just depends on the type / style of riding you might do. I bought my RSTD as I thought I still wanted the "cruise" type of bike - that I wasn't going to often have a passenger, never would be interested in a CB / radio (XM, IPOD,) would immediately loose the windshield, etc. WRONG. In retrospect, wish I would have gone with the Venture - but then I've "converted" my bike over to be able to handle all the above (at a considerable amount of money spent - not including the paint job). Also, I think the Venture will sit you slightly lower in the saddle than the RSTD - not 100% sure on that one, though. Take you time and pick between these two bikes out of the gate - you won't be sorry about either one - they are great.

Good luck!:thumbsup2:

Guest FFMCPres

10 street bikes over almost 27 years in the saddle, and I finally got the right one. Best bike I ever had, and I'm not trying to justify buying it!

:bighug:

I have a '99 and I think the clutch problem is the clutch slipping once in a while when I accelerate like a Vmax-throttle wide open or when the oil is cold. Other than that, it's not a problem for me and I don't plan to replace it because of those to instances. Sooo.. I don't accelerate like it's a crotch rocket and when its cold I take it easy. But as far as reasons to not buy one? When I think of one, I'll post it. Don't wait by your computer! I love mine.

I love mine, but I would had I known about venture first and all the great things it offers, I would not have bought the RSTD.

Better passenger seat on the venture, at least everyone says so.

I would also not be afraid to purchase a earlier year Venture model such as a 2000 or 2001... low miles is a plus, but more inportantly is the fact these things reduce in price and are the same bike as a new bike.

Hoping that when mine is payed for, I can afford to buy a new version of the venture providing yamaha does not destroy the original concept of what the Venture has stood for in all the past years.

So If you still want to buy a RSTD I will be more than happy to sell you mine, cheap ! ........ and I will go buy the Venture. :)

David