IGNORED

Engine ID #

Hi Everyone! New to the site, looks great. I just purchased a 1989 Venture Royale w/35K. Great running/looking machine. I'm having an issue with something stupid?? MN DMV requires a "Motorcycle Engine Number" for the title transfer. The number I've located is an 1NL-****** number stamped on the upper portion of the engine block on the left side. They're telling me it's an 17 digit number, but that one I cant locate. Any thoughts? Thanks, Brett

:confused24:Confused people at the DMV?

The VIN is 17 characters, starting with JYA1NL00xGA00xxxx. The VIN is permanently inscribed on the steering neck and also on a sticker on the lower frame rail (the removable one) under the right side of the engine. BTW: I don't see a problem with stating the entire VIN, what can an unscrupulous person do with it? I can walk up to any Venture and get the VIN. In fact, I am compiling a database of all First Gen Venture VINs. PM me with your VIN, if you don't want theses scoundrels to know it.

The ENGINE number is stamped on the block and it will look like: 1NL-00xxxx; if the engine and chassis are original the engine number should match the VIN.

I've never heard of a requirement for the engine number for a DMV, and at any rate, if they want a 17 character identifier, it ain't gonna be from the engine.

welcome to the crazy house you have a good bike thats not even broke in yet i cant answer your question but some one who can will chime in soon :080402gudl_prv:

oh i was to late but see some who knows will always chime in this is a great place to be

Snaggletooth and Prariehammer, Thanks for the responses. Snaggletooth, where about are you talking?? I'm new to the model so bear with me. I tried to explain that to the uncooperative ladies in 2 offices, but to no avail. They suggest that I take it to St paul for an inspection. Thanks.

Edited by bart1963

Dang. I thought I deleted that. The VIN is on the triple tree neck, where the forks attach, on the left side.

The engine serial number is stamped in the case on the right side.

NOTE* Learning this may vary with the model year.

Edited by Snaggletooth

Dang. I thought I deleted that. The VIN is on the triple tree neck, where the forks attach, on the left side.

The engine serial number is stamped in the case on the right side.

Dang!, Mike, you need to settle back and relax.

The VIN number on the steering neck is on the RIGHT side of the steering neck.

And the engine number is on the LEFT side of the engine right above the middle gear or if you prefer where the drift shaft exits.

Bart: all directions are as if sitting on the bike, except in Nebraska, apparently.

Dang!, Mike, you need to settle back and relax.

The VIN number on the steering neck is on the RIGHT side of the steering neck.

And the engine number is on the LEFT side of the engine right above the middle gear or if you prefer where the drift shaft exits.

Bart: all directions are as if sitting on the bike, except in Nebraska, apparently.

Ya know, I thought I had that right, but it's been 6 years or more since I looked at mine.

So I did the next best thing. I pulled the manual. Section 1.1.

It states left side neck for VIN and right side rear case for engine serial number.

I guess looking at the pics they are standing on the passenger side of the bike. :bang head::rotf::rotf:

Must be from being on the other side of the planet.

Excuse me while I go pull my head out of my tailpipe. :rotf:

I cheated.

I actually went out and looked at my bikes. Now this may get confusing. On MY '90, the VIN is on the right hand side of the steering neck. Perhaps on the '83 it is on the left?

And because the crankcase is covered up on my '90 with panels, I looked on the '83 to determine engine number location and it is on the left side over the middle gear. Perhaps the engine number is in a different location on the '90?

The books always right...right?

Pretty hard to see the steering neck on a Venture. Easier to read the VIN from the sticker on the right frame, right below the brake pedal.

So long as the digits match on the engine, just tell them the engine has the same number as the frame.

The books always right...right?

Depends on what you're reading. Like "1984" or maybe anything by Glenn Beck. :rotf::rotf::rotf::smile5:

But there is an interesting point. My manual is for the 1983-1984 models. 1st Edition, second printing. (1985) So who knows what they did in following years.

Wasn't somebody keeping track of how many typos were in the manuals at one point? :rotf:

Edited by Snaggletooth

I just checked out my 89 VR and the VIN sticker is located below the clutch cover on the right side as you sit on the bike. It is just above the exhaust pipe. It is also stamped into the triple tree neck on the right side also. I have my fairing off at the moment and is easy to see but with the fairing on, it will be a little tough to see, but if you take off the grate where the emergency flasher switch is, that might make it easier.

Let me if you need some assistance with it.

Rick F.