IGNORED

Fuel pump

Do like I did. Bypass the pump and ride it for awhile to be sure it's the pump. Then take it to them and explain to them that by disabiling and bypassing the pump the bike runs good. It's an intermittent problem, it may be doing fine, but you want it replaced because the bike is not reliable with it hooked up. The warranty is suppose to cover it so it's not coming out of their pocket. As a matter of fact they make money doing warranty work! If they still won't do it, go somewhere else. If no one else wants to change it out, go over their heads and call the customer service number. It's a known fact that the pumps go bad slowly or all at once. They'll probably want to keep the bike a few days and check it out, but talk it out with the service manger and try to get him to see your point of view and if you are like me, the bike is ridden daily so it doesn't need to be kept in a service shop more than it takes to replace the pump.

The only problem is that it was a year between the first and second time the third was a week after i picked it up and by the time it gets to the shop it runs fine. I will call them and tell them I'm not happy with this and tell them to change the pump. Yes I ride every day and they have had it 3 out of the last 4 weeks. Grrrrrrr

My dealer took my word for it last October and swapped it out.

It,,,, almost left me stranded in no-man's land but I tapped it and it started back.

(But I have been through a couple with him on my bikes.)

What I and he noticed later was that first thing in the morning the pump did not immediately click,, hesitated for several seconds. That was good enough for him.

I got a great dealer in Sumter SC (Extreme Sports Yamaha) and never understand when other dealers protest warranty work. My guy likes it.

I'm guessing your dealer is the big multi-brand dealer in Concord. Might try a Yamaha bike only dealer, like Interstate in Cornelius or even the one in Sumter, SC.

Mike G.

EDIT: And,,,, yes, like Kirby said, read up on Gravity Feed (use search), so you will be prepared if you get stuck.

I ran for 1000 miles on gravity while waiting for a pump.

Just found my old post: copy/paste from last year:

Quote:

Originally Posted by djh3 viewpost.gif

Mike you mention "setting pump for gravity feed". What/how do you do pray tell? I'm leaving on a mountian trip next week and was thinking about just replacing the fuel filter for good measure. Currently 15500 miles.

Dion,

Below is a cut & paste of a cut & paste from 2009. That was on my RSTD. Will be the same for a RSV.

I got lucky the other day by tapping the pump, that got me home. But it's really nice to know about setting up for Gravity Feed.

Mike G in SC

Like Jim said, Gravity Feed. I found my 2009 post about it(below). I ran for a week, almost 1000 miles until the dealer could get one in.

Mine went at about 50k. If you get stuck, like Wizard said, you can re-route the fuel line to the carbs. in 15 minutes. Remove the seat, remove the rear tank bolt, lift the rear of the tank for access to the carb port. Pull the line off the top of the filter and re-route it to the carbs. (obviously you have to pull the line that came from the bottom of the pump to the carb.)

Make sure you have a good needle nose pliers for the clamps. Oh, and a flashlight incase it happens at night. You should also open the left side cover and disconnect the electrical connection to the pump so it won't try to poop out any remaining gas.

If you think you may do this for a while, buy a small cheap inline filter and a couple of inches of gas line and put it inline close to the fuel cutoff valve.

You are good for lot's of miles this way. Might have issues if you let the tank get too low.

Ah, and don't smoke while you are doing this!

BUT,,,, now thinking about it, you could simply carry a 3' length of gas line (same size as comes off the pitcock). Maybe even put a small inline filter in it. Then, if you need to do the Gravity Feed thing you would simply run this line from the tank to the carb port. You would still have to lift the back of the tank to do it. So, then you would not have to pull the line off the filter/pump area. But do remember to open the left side cover and disconnect the pump.

That is a bunch cheaper than carrying a spare pump and a lot less complicated too.

I think I will head to Autozone for a few feet of gas line.

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

I understand carrying a chunk of fuel hose to bypass the fuel pump, but why not just bypass at the pump itself? I cut a short piece of 5/16" O.D. copper tubing and bent into a "U". The pump appears easy to remove with just two small bolts holding the bracket. Once the pump is pulled out some, just take both inlet and outlet tubing off and insert onto copper "U" using the stock clamps. You need to disconnect the wires anyway.

I don't see why this won't work. The fuel will seek its' own level. You will still have to keep adequate gas in the tank. Be easier to stow. The copper only measures a little over two inches across. Hopefully I won't have to find out how well this works.