IGNORED

Goldwing bufferting and passenger wind problems

Haber

Everything I read about the buffeting andwind problems for the passenger says to go with a bigger windshield or add more wind deflectors. Found the fix. I cut 9 inches off my windshield so the top of the windshield is in line with my chin.

Now riding at interstate speeds no more eddies that were like slaps in the face. The wind goes up over my head and my. My passengers hair goes back (instead of forward).

I think my bike looks sportier, I can see much better, and my passenger doesn't hate the wing. The dead air pocket from the big windshield is gone and its like riding a motorcycle again.

Harry

2002 Goldwing 1800

My solution to the buffeting on my Wing was to trade it in for a Victory CCT ... no more buffeting. Reason is the windshield has an air vent at the bottom that neutrailzes the low pressure (dead zone).

On the Wing as well as on the Venture, my ears would flap and my wife's sunglasses would bounce from the buffeting ... no more of that on the CCT. :big-grin-emoticon:

okay we have the 2012, would a full face helmet, stop the issue with buffering?

I find by opening the vent on the windshield, I get less, buffering. but my passenger, is still having the same problem. Question? change her helmet to full face?

It be nice to see some wind tunnel data. I do not understand how cutting the shield down would cut down on wind buffering? Maybe you are saying that the wind is a constant pressure on the driver with the lower shield?

I had a vent in my shield and my wife didn't think it helped if at any all.

She also rides with a full face and that may make her head heavier for the wind to push around but the bufferring is still there.

I find by opening the vent on the windshield, I get less, buffering. but my passenger, is still having the same problem. Question? change her helmet to full face?

She will still feel the same amount of buffeting...just won't feel direct wind in her face.

Much of the buffeting comes from under the mirrors. Install the hand wings from Baker-Bilt and the buffeting will be much less.

Joe

It be nice to see some wind tunnel data. I do not understand how cutting the shield down would cut down on wind buffering? Maybe you are saying that the wind is a constant pressure on the driver with the lower shield?

I believe Windbender http://www.firecreekacc.com/ did extensive wind tunnel testing. The problem that causes the buffeting on the driver and passenger is a result of the low pressure zone caused by the air flow over the body and windshield. The low pressure zone then sucks the air back into the rider and passenger area ... causing the buffeting.

If you don't have a Windbender but do have a shield with a vent, I think the vent does not let enough air in at the first or second notch to fully neutralize that low pressure zone. Flip it another notch or two and then you get too much air directly at you.

On the Victory CCT, the opening at the bottom of the shield is of good size and then there is a lip that directs the air upwards. The effect is neutralizing the low pressure zone therefore no air passing over and around the shield and fairing gets sucked back into the rider and passenger area.

Now, cutting the shield down means a change in the low pressure zone area which could result in less buffeting for the driver but not the passenger.

(that's IMHO based on what I've read about this)

If... I was hauling a passenger...(I don't cause Penny prefers to ride her own bike), they would wear a full face helmet ...

She wears one anyway, but did some reading on the subject and found there are a lot of facial injuries from the passengers face impacting the back of the drivers helmet.

:confused24: just an observation

As always to each his own...:missingtooth:

She wears one anyway, but did some reading on the subject and found there are a lot of facial injuries from the passengers face impacting the back of the drivers helmet.

One needs to do smoother shifts to prevent that... :Laugh:

I believe Windbender http://www.firecreekacc.com/ did extensive wind tunnel testing. The problem that causes the buffeting on the driver and passenger is a result of the low pressure zone caused by the air flow over the body and windshield. The low pressure zone then sucks the air back into the rider and passenger area ... causing the buffeting.

Ahhhh, mystery solved. This explains why I can't spit off to the side when riding at highway speed. Did that once (and only once) only to have saliva coating the inside of my windshield. Lesson learned as they say.:scratchchin:

Ahhhh, mystery solved. This explains why I can't spit off to the side when riding at highway speed. Did that once (and only once) only to have saliva coating the inside of my windshield. Lesson learned as they say.:scratchchin:

:rotfl: :rotf: :rotfl: :rotf:

Almost ordered the windbender, but after talking to a rider who has one it was more of the same. His wife was also getting beat up on the back of the wing with the windbender. My girlfriend just hated getting on the back. Her neck would get sore, her hair wore holes in her checks (we don't wear helmets). Riding interstate, 75-80 mph, any vehicle in front of us would cause eddies that were like slaps in the face, for the passenger they would whip her head around. Seems every wing rider's passenger says the same thing, buffeting is terrible.

After cutting it down, there is a little more wind noise for me and music is harder to hear at highway speeds. But anything to make my passenger happy. Now going 75 mph and closing in on a vehicle no more eddies- at all. Its absolutely wonderful.

In cutting down the windshield, I found that top of shield to be in the lower chin area was about right. A little experimenting with the 4 inch travel found the perfect spot for my comfort/passenger comfort. There is enough lift that bugs and rocks are not a problem.

Before you spend money on a new windshield you have nothing to lose. Tape the windshield with blue masking tape (wont pull the protective layer off the windshield). draw a curve and using a jig saw slowly cut it off. 80 grit sandpaper smothes it, and finish with 120 grit.

I will post a picture for everyone to see.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opposite experience with the WindBender. I actually bought one and it worked to eliminate the head buffeting for myself and my wife.

You do have to experiment with the height setting but, since that is adjustable on the WindBender, you can adjust it easily.

Basically, the buffeting is caused by higher pressures behind the windshield sucking air into the seating area.

Vents in the windshield can help. However, the WindBender's solution is better than just a vent. It allows air to get up behind the windshield and equalizes the pressure as the air flows off the trailing edge.

There is also a powered option you can add to it but, it is rather expensive. I opted not to get one.

YMMV - I'm 5' 9.5" and my wife is shorter than I. If you or your passenger is taller, you may have to adjust the windshield higher or, it may not work for you. (shrug)

Regards,

Almost ordered the windbender, but after talking to a rider who has one it was more of the same. His wife was also getting beat up on the back of the wing with the windbender. My girlfriend just hated getting on the back. Her neck would get sore, her hair wore holes in her checks (we don't wear helmets). Riding interstate, 75-80 mph, any vehicle in front of us would cause eddies that were like slaps in the face, for the passenger they would whip her head around. Seems every wing rider's passenger says the same thing, buffeting is terrible.

After cutting it down, there is a little more wind noise for me and music is harder to hear at highway speeds. But anything to make my passenger happy. Now going 75 mph and closing in on a vehicle no more eddies- at all. Its absolutely wonderful.

In cutting down the windshield, I found that top of shield to be in the lower chin area was about right. A little experimenting with the 4 inch travel found the perfect spot for my comfort/passenger comfort. There is enough lift that bugs and rocks are not a problem.

Before you spend money on a new windshield you have nothing to lose. Tape the windshield with blue masking tape (wont pull the protective layer off the windshield). draw a curve and using a jig saw slowly cut it off. 80 grit sandpaper smothes it, and finish with 120 grit.

I will post a picture for everyone to see.

Harry

• 1 month later...

On our trip to MD this year I had raised the windshield before we left. As soon as we got on the interstate Christy told me she was getting a lot more wind. At the next stop I lowered it back down and she told me she was getting less wind . I have a show chrome standard windshield. Just my 2 cents.

Bull463

My passenger doesn't want to... or like to...... ride ..................so...that settles that problem of wind buffeting!

I ride solo all the time with my stock windshield lowered down as far as it will go.

When it rains, I raise it upward one to three clicks to throw the water over my head.

Yes, I tried it but, I didn't like it as much as the Windbender.

Same basic idea of trying to equalize pressure on both sides of the "shield" but, the Laminar Lip doesn't do anything for the high pressure already behind the main windshield.

It does smooth out some of the airflow off the top of the windshield but, not as much as the Windbender.

Also, I would sometimes get a harmonic vibration from the Laminar Lip that got really loud. I haven't heard too many other people mention that, though.

Has anyone tried the Laminar Lip? Its supposed to be good at directing air up and over the passenger area and its price doesn't look too bad as it just adds to your existing oem windshield.

http://www.laminarlip.com/gl.php

Brian

I tried a Laminar Lip on my cut down windshield. After I went with the Travelcade Road Sofa seat it raised me too high in relation to the windshield. I installed the Laminar Lip (which by the way, is expensive for what you get) and it offered minimal improvement. I set it an inch higher than the initial install and it began to help with buffeting. Subsequently I replaced the cut down 'shield with a taller one and tried to add the Laminar Lip to it, but the curve was all wrong and I could not make it work.

Anyone want to try a Laminar Lip? Half price!