IGNORED

Nightmare in Laramie

Miles

Guess the moral to the story is to be as careful were you park your bike as you can.

I'm going to get a bright colored cover and park in a well lit space. The cover may also save me a scratch or two if it does get knocked over.

something like this:

http://www.compacc.com/p/Dowco-Guardian-Ultralite-Motorcycle-Cover?scpid=6&scid=scsho2819818

Also, never, ever park on an outside corner space. Use to work in the city and can't tell you how many fender bender/clips I've seen over the years, and a lot of them will keep on going....

Lesson learned at Krogers food store also taught me to park in a cameras view. Luckily a kind pedestrian was thoughtful enough to take the hit and runers license number and description. The Police handeled it to my satisfaction...By the way... they were averaging 4-5 accidents a month there...

Most of the motels I stay at allow me to park under the carport or near it. Just have to be careful not to get your bike between the hydrant and motel or you could wake up to find your bike has been towed.

Brian, the reason they pull out in front of you, is they know you'll stop, and they know you have excellent insurance with deep pockets... same for the cadillacs and other expensive cars... The morons are out there amongst us...LOL

Edited by CaptainJoe

Speaking of people that don't know how to park...

We went to Wendy's the other night and parked on the drive-thru side. Not very many cars there so lots of empty spaces. I make sure I park in the centre of the parking spots to give lots of room on both sides of the bike.

Come out after dinner and there is a van parked right beside me... even though there were still lots of free spots on that side of the building. The front of the van was centered in their slot but the rear of the van was 1/3 of the way into my spot. Lots of scratches and dings on the passenger side of the van. Don't know who it was but was so tempted to do something to their van. Wouldn't gain me anything and they wouldn't notice one more scratch or dent.

Guest tx2sturgis

Brian, the reason they pull out in front of you, is they know you'll stop, and they know you have excellent insurance with deep pockets... same for the cadillacs and other expensive cars... The morons are out there amongst us...LOL

Thats part of the reason, of course, its called 'motorist abuse' in the transportation industry, lumped in with aggressive driving, passive-aggesive driving, tailgating, close lane-changing, hyper-miling, etc.

But in reality, some people just are not looking for other vehicles when making a move. Backing, turning, lane changes, red-light runners, etc. Some are texting, some are playing with the radio or gps, eating, putting on makeup, whatever. Lumped in with distracted driving.

This lady that hit Miles, was probably visible from the front office, or saw a camera or other witness, and decided to be up-front.

You know, in a dark parking lot, with rain covered glass, maybe fogged over, hard to see, its possible that she just looked and couldnt see the bike.

Either way, I'm sure glad its only property damage.

:cool10:

Miles: I am sorry to hear of your incident. Glad you were not on the bike. Accidents do happen. At least the other driver admitted to it. Our Daughter lives West of Laramie in Saratoga. Our car has been damaged two different times while in the Laramie area going to or from our Daughters home. One driver left a half A$$ed note after doing $1000 damage. I reported it to the police and several months later our insurance company was finally compensated. The other was simply a hit and run at a Subway parking lot. I now try not to stop in Laramie!!! Hope you come out ok with any damage to your bike.

Okay...Family...I am back home in Washington State. I got home about 12:30 pm today, and been sitting here are the computer taking care or snail mail, e-mails, and forums.

The bike has very little damage to it, as someone stated...a small scratch on the right rear crashbar...a small scratch on the right front Kuryakyn highway pegs, a tattoo of a mark on the right valve cover (but thankfully no punch that would cause a leak there). I intend to wash the bike tomorrow, and then very carefully inspect all the tupperware.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

I was parked legally, in the first vehicle parking space just outside the office area. The problem was...it was late at night, right at midnight, and raining, when this woman pulled into a unloading space...and then backed her Jeep Cherokee up more than 20 feet...across a 10 foot wide paver-walkway...and finally struck my bike. I think...and the police think...and the motel manager all think that I was parked correctly.

I probably should not have parked it on the centerstand. But only for the reason that it was easy to knock off the centerstand. I like my bikes to be straight up when parked, so that when started in the morning, the engine oil is delivered equally to all places...an OLD BMW trick. Ever notice older air-cooled BMW's smoking out of the left cylinder whwn first started? Because it was parked on the sidestand.

Yes, I was very happy when I saw her USAA insurance card. Of course...the female police office that was just stading by treated me, like the criminal, because thuis poor woman was in hysterics when she was explaining what happened...and that she, "didn't really knock it all the way over...see...it din't fall all the way onto its' side". That pissed me off, and luckily the male officer that was in charge of the situation...and he rides...explained to her that the crashbars stopped the bike from falling further, but that it was knocked over as far as it would go.

So, I am home, the bike is 99.314159 % okay, and all will be well.

There are alwasy firsts on rides like this...firswt time anyone has ever backed into my bike, knocking it over...first time I have ever been hit by side winds so hard...that they literally ripped both of my hands off the hand grips, and almost tore me off the bike. The bike was unaffected by the sidewinds, but it almost tore me off the bike. First time I ever had a deer jump out in front of me...runing...because it was being chased by a coyote...which also ran out in front of me. Had lots of deer issues over the years, but never one being chased by a coyote.

Such is life.

:backinmyday:

That had to be very dissapointing, being a new bike and all..

Good thing the cops came and took info... You never know what a person will do when given some time to think about an accident, and it is 1200 miles from home.

When I purchase a cover for my bike, perhaps I should consider getting a neon green or fluorescent orange one... LOL

Actually, Easy Rider, you are 100 % right about the bike cover. I will be buying a new bike cover for this bike. I have been using two GEZA covers, which are the ones that look and act like Lycra spandex. I always put the newer one on first, then the older one on top. But...in a heavy rain, it still gets through both covers. They are not designed to be waterproof.

So...I will commit the older GEZA cover to one of my other bikes, for storage in the shop. The newer GEZA cover will still be used, as it is like silk on the bike surface, and protects the bikes paint. But I will buy a new...waterproof...bright colored cover, that will be used in situations like this.

As for the police coming, this woman was very upfront to the motel manager of what she did. She did not try to run off, or hide the fact. I did give her credit for doing that.

Edited by Miles

What kind of quick, light, easy to store ain overs do you folks recommend?

You see, Barry, this is the Brooklyn side of you. They are called...Rain Covers...not ain overs.

Oh, fogetaboutit !:rotf:

When you speak of "firsts" on this trip...what about your first B2dad and B2MOM meet n eat? Definitely a first for you!!!

We were glad you came and we got to meet the infamous Miles!! So sorry tho that you had to weather some severe storms and a hysterical woman driver, not to mention several deer and a coyote. We have to watch for the wildlife all the time, due to our location. Better luck on your next ride.

Thanks again for coming all this way and your support of St. Jude.

Patti and Don