IGNORED

Another Soldering ? Only With Pictures

GolfVenture

First weld never had penetration. I'd do the same thing again, only better.

Send it to me and I'll do it up for ya. It'd take about 30 seconds.

If you want to keep it local, find someone who knows how to weld and have them do a proper job. I wouldn't worry about whether it's a stainless weld or not.

If you want to, you can do a high silver content braze to that as well. A little trickier on stainless, but would be non corrosive and stronger than the weld that was done.

Again, I can send you a bit of silver wire and flux if you want to try it. :cool10:

Edited by uncledj
wanted to mention brazing option

I'd clean that up with a grinder to look like the bubble gum weld was never on there. Then take a very sharp center punch and make a row of very small dots all the way around the circumference of the pin in the center where it goes into the banjo type rod end. You want it to swell the diameter some but not so much it takes a lot of force to reinstall.

Then lightly tap the rod back into the hole.

I ended up brazing them both for ya.

The ? choke shaft ? is brazed, and at least as strong as original, but will need a bit of reshaping before installation. I didn't realize it was so small from the pics. It was like trying to braze a brazing rod. LOL There's a rubber seal at the base, so I immersed it in "cool gel", only allowing the top to stick out to keep the rubber from being distorted. I included pics showing what it looked like after brazing, then after I removed a bit of material. I stopped before I took it down to a smaller diameter than original. I figure if you can fit it to whatever slides on it, it'd be a better fit than me guessing. I included a few small pieces of emery cloth to sand it down. Simply clamp it in a vice (use a soft jaw) then take the strips of emery cloth that I ripped down to 1/4" or less and pull them back and forth across the radius until you get the size you want. It'll sand down pretty easily. (brass)

I must say that the pin on the bottom is bent a bit, and that may be a problem for you. (It was that way when I got it)

I was afraid to try to straighten it, as I didn't want to break it.

As far as the jet ski thingy, I ground the (kinda) weld off then brazed it as well. The pin that went through the head was a pretty loose fit, but the braze filled in the gap well. I can't see it being a problem again.

I'll put them back in the mail tomorrow, and am including a piece of 45% silver wire, along with a dab of brazing flux, and a bit of emery cloth.

Anyhoo, I did the best I could...hope it works out for you.:cool10:

Thank You very much John. That jet ski part is never going to break again.

As for the carb plunger, I'll ask my machinest friend if he can take measurments off a good plunger and then machine the excess material off the welded plunger. And with all that extra material he should be able to machine that bent neck right out of there.

Cool... I'll post pictures with the results... but it may be several days until he has a break in his work schedule.