IGNORED

On the Road Report...

Miles

Left home outside of Olympia, WA. on Tuesday afternoon, as weather report said it was going to be raining on me Wednesday morning. Got 500 miles under my belt on Tuesday, before stopping for the night in Nampa, Idaho. Left Idaho yesterday morning, rode a little over 900 miles yesterday, hit elevations of over 11,000 feet in Colorado...in the RAIN.

Note...for those of you East of the Big Muddy...11,000 foot elevations if like 3 times as high as anything you can stack up in those Eastern States. If any of you have ridden through Colorado, then you know what I mean. If you have not ever ridden West of the Big Muddy, then...you need to.:whistling:

Leaving Denver this morning, and should make it to Tennessee later today. Need to stop and do an oil change today, on the new bike.

I hope they do not run out of Frog Legs before i get to B2's.:rotf:

:backinmyday:

Miles,

You now have 1,372 miles under your butt.... and you have about 1,042 miles to go to get to Martin, Tn.

I surely hope you do not try to ride the 1,042 miles in one day.. Party doesn't start on Thursday so take another day and be safe..

Your doing great on making miles...... be MILES..............:stickpoke:

11000 feet is three times are high?

At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome is the highest point in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is the highest point in Tennessee, and the third highest mountain east of the Mississippi.

But 6,643 is still not a Rocky Mountain High........:detective::detective::detective:

Please be careful. We have some rain predicted here today, tonite and tomorrow morning. So please ride safe. No hurry. Friday afternoon / Saturday will be gorgeous!!!

Yes, I've been thru the mountains in Colorado. Pretty and all...but I'm not a big fan of mountains. I prefer the water, ie: Ocean / Lake / pool....sand between my toes...that's me. A nice bike ride there always makes me feel better.

Hey bongobobny: Don't feel bad...I am a lightweight like you. 400 is about my max for a day. Nothing wrong with that. Would rather take my time and see the sights and be able to get off the bike and walk a bit, stretch, give the seat a rest.

Everyone be safe please!!!

Left home outside of Olympia, WA. on Tuesday afternoon, as weather report said it was going to be raining on me Wednesday morning. Got 500 miles under my belt on Tuesday, before stopping for the night in Nampa, Idaho. Left Idaho yesterday morning, rode a little over 900 miles yesterday, hit elevations of over 11,000 feet in Colorado...in the RAIN.

Note...for those of you East of the Big Muddy...11,000 foot elevations if like 3 times as high as anything you can stack up in those Eastern States. If any of you have ridden through Colorado, then you know what I mean. If you have not ever ridden West of the Big Muddy, then...you need to.:whistling:

Leaving Denver this morning, and should make it to Tennessee later today. Need to stop and do an oil change today, on the new bike.

I hope they do not run out of Frog Legs before i get to B2's.:rotf:

:backinmyday:

Miles, I hope ya have fun on your trip out east, but I gotta tell ya. I've been west, and I've been east, and they are both beautiful in their own right. In the Smoky's when your riding along at an average elevation of 1000ft, and you come up to and climb a mountain that is 5000ft-6500ft, its almost exactly the same depth perception as when i'm in the Rockies scooting along at an average elevation of 6000ft, and come up to and climb a mountain that is 9000ft-11000ft. Both scenarios I'm climbing 4000ft-5000ft. I know, I know, these two areas look totally different, with the east being so full of trees, and the west being so wide open with lower height greenery. But, I prefer to appreciate the differences and not choose one as better than the other.

Just sayin. LOL.

Mt Mitchel in North Carolina is 6,684 feet looking down on valleys 5,000feet below. The story goes that the Appalachian mountain range is much older than the Rockies and at one time were higher. But with the erosion over time, they are worn down.

I was up on the Blue Ridge Parkway today between Asheville and Cherokee and the visibility was so good you could see 50+ miles. It was an awesome view.

RandyA

Mt Mitchel in North Carolina is 6,684 feet looking down on valleys 5,000feet below. The story goes that the Appalachian mountain range is much older than the Rockies and at one time were higher. But with the erosion over time, they are worn down.

I was up on the Blue Ridge Parkway today between Asheville and Cherokee and the visibility was so good you could see 50+ miles. It was an awesome view.

RandyA

Do they have the highway fixed between Gatlinburg and Cherokee (441) ?

Do they have the highway fixed between Gatlinburg and Cherokee (441) ?

Yes, as mm noted, it is back open. It is amazing to look down this huge trough of where the landslide went. It looks like a miniature Mt St Helens looking off the side of the mountain. I bet it was an impressive site when it gave way. I wish I had taken my camera with me.

RandyA

Guest tx2sturgis

A few years ago, on a trip through Colorado, I rode to the top of Mt Evans....the highest paved road in North America.

14,264 feet.

You can see into Kansas from up there...yeah we were high!

No living things existed, other than the lichens on the boulders, and of course, the humans visiting.

Sunburn, vertigo, and altitude sickness, are quite real up there.

It was fun once, but I wont be going back. At least, not on a motorcycle.

:cool17:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt_evans