IGNORED

A stick of dynamite fits neatly into the....

1BigDog

I discovered that a stick of dynamite will fit neatly into the exhaust hole on my HD mufflers. I know this because I plan on lighting the fuse if I cant get a stripped bolt out. I have been toying with this bolt for a few weeks. Its one of the allen head bolts that hold on the faux cylinder fins. The top (deep) one at that. The piece of crap bolt material that Yamaha uses has rounded off and I have been trying different methods to remove it. Im leery of an impact driver as I dont want to crack the cylinder even though I have tried it with moderate force to no avail. Its almost impossible to get in there with a dremel to cut a slot and an extractor tool didnt work. I just built up the hole with JB weld and taped the socket into place. Maybe it would harden enough to get a turn out of it. Last resort would be to have a welder come by and tack weld the tool to the bolt head. That aint a cheap solution. So, if you see a mushroom cloud over Jacksonville......well.......

I discovered that a stick of dynamite will fit neatly into the exhaust hole on my HD mufflers. I know this because I plan on lighting the fuse if I cant get a stripped bolt out. I have been toying with this bolt for a few weeks. Its one of the allen head bolts that hold on the faux cylinder fins. The top (deep) one at that. The piece of crap bolt material that Yamaha uses has rounded off and I have been trying different methods to remove it. Im leery of an impact driver as I dont want to crack the cylinder even though I have tried it with moderate force to no avail. Its almost impossible to get in there with a dremel to cut a slot and an extractor tool didnt work. I just built up the hole with JB weld and taped the socket into place. Maybe it would harden enough to get a turn out of it. Last resort would be to have a welder come by and tack weld the tool to the bolt head. That aint a cheap solution. So, if you see a mushroom cloud over Jacksonville......well.......

Try a few methods that have worked for me. Find an Allen head socket that looks like it might bite into the hole. Heat up hex on the driver mounted to an extension, cherry red if you have a torch, tap into the stripped out hole, let it cool down. Try that. The only other way would be to carefully drill out the center and us an easy out. It kind of looks like a top but with reverse tapered spiral that grabs the walls of the hole. USE ALOT OF CAUTION AND CARE when doing this.

In some extreeme cases, i've had luck drilling a hole in problem bolt and mig welding the center full. Then weld a washer on and finish it off by welding a nut on top of washer.

let cool and 99% of the time it comes right out

If you can get the bolt hot enough to melt wax, Use gulf wax(canning wax)to melt down into the surrounding area. let cool down, should release and be able to remove. This method works on frozen bolts on tractors when a torch can be used to heat the fastner. I do not know if engine heat will be enough, but it may be worth a try.

Bill

I know this because I plan on lighting the fuse if I cant get a stripped bolt out. .......

Where were you when I was fighting my clutch slave? A little fire power had crossed my mind to. I know what you're going through.

All I can offer is what worked for me. An inverted Torx socket. It was the only thing that woud grip. But..... that involved heat, a BFH and a hand impact driver. I know the beating is what you want to avoid.

But try it beore you light the fuse.

Good luck.

Mike

Depending on the size, these are excellent for taking out stripped Allen bolts... use to outside!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-power-bolt-out-reg-set/p-00952168000P?prdNo=1

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_208037701?hei=321&wid=321&qlt=65,0&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P?prdNo=24&blockNo=24&blockType=G24

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_207242301?hei=346&wid=346&qlt=65,0&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Where were you when I was fighting my clutch slave? A little fire power had crossed my mind to. I know what you're going through.

All I can offer is what worked for me. An inverted Torx socket. It was the only thing that woud grip. But..... that involved heat, a BFH and a hand impact driver. I know the beating is what you want to avoid.

But try it beore you light the fuse.

Good luck.

Mike

Mike, you da man.....I had a bunch of torx sockets. I found a larger one, hammered it into the allen hole and with a gentle twist with a 1/4" ratchet it broke loose!! I was going to have a mobile welder come out and tack the allen socket to the bolt but they all had a minimum price of 125 bucks. For that I could find a welder at H/F.

But there is another problem now......I tried removing those sticks from the mufflers and the fuse pulled out. Maybe a good rev will blow them out..whatcha think???:Avatars_Gee_George:

Thanks for the responses......:smile5:

Mike, you da man.....I had a bunch of torx sockets. I found a larger one, hammered it into the allen hole and with a gentle twist with a 1/4" ratchet it broke loose!! I was going to have a mobile welder come out and tack the allen socket to the bolt but they all had a minimum price of 125 bucks. For that I could find a welder at H/F.

But there is another problem now......I tried removing those sticks from the mufflers and the fuse pulled out. Maybe a good rev will blow them out..whatcha think???:Avatars_Gee_George:

Thanks for the responses......:smile5:

A few good revs should clear the pipes:whistling:

This could cause one of two things.

A great headline on tonights news or.....

A new ET record for the 1/4 mile.

Well, maybe both. Glad it worked for you.

I just realized you got off easy. You got away with driving in a Torx drive. If you ever find yourself in a tough spot again and have to deal with the inside of the Allen strippped out and break the Torx drive bit..... Drive a inverted Torx socket onto the head of the Allen. There is almost always a way out. Without fuses. :rotf:

This could cause one of two things.

A great headline on tonights news or.....

A new ET record for the 1/4 mile.

Well, maybe both. Glad it worked for you.

Do anything to try and make those 2nd Gens faster than the 1st Gens!!!:whistling::whistling:

(quote): Mike, you da man.....I had a bunch of torx sockets. I found a larger one, hammered it into the allen hole and with a gentle twist with a 1/4" ratchet it broke loose!!

WOW, I was getting prepared to say bye to my dream bike ....

Sure am glad it came out Ruffy.

Would have hated to see pieces of Yamaha and HD bike parts landing here in Ms...

I just realized you got off easy. You got away with driving in a Torx drive. If you ever find yourself in a tough spot again and have to deal with the inside of the Allen strippped out and break the Torx drive bit..... Drive a inverted Torx socket onto the head of the Allen. There is almost always a way out. Without fuses. :rotf:

Mike, no way was that inverted drive going to fit a faux fin bolt, especially the deep set ones. Sometimes easy is better.

Do anything to try and make those 2nd Gens faster than the 1st Gens!!!:whistling::whistling:

Bet my pile of 2nd gen parts is faster then your pile of 1st gen parts.....

(quote):

WOW, I was getting prepared to say bye to my dream bike ....

Sure am glad it came out Ruffy.

Would have hated to see pieces of Yamaha and HD bike parts landing here in Ms...

Still needs some more work Eck. Im trying to decide whether to just put the fins back on or polish them first.

Still needs some more work Eck. Im trying to decide whether to just put the fins back on or polish them first.

Food for thought here my friend..

Anything you polish will require same effort every year...........:whistling: