IGNORED

Hi-Vis safety vest

djh3

I have been thinking about one of these hi-vis mil spec type vests to be seen a little better. I think for where I'm at I need a vented or mesh type. The Icons and firstgear ones I have seen are a solid type that look more like the sport bike types. I guess I could just get the $9 one from wal mart the construction workers wear. But I would think they might flop to much at speed. Any thoughts.

I have seen them around. We stayed on an Air Force Base last fall and when we got to the gate the SP told us we had to have hi-vis clothing. Best I could do was dig rain gear jacket out, they are brite yellow.

An article in rider magazine several years ago stated the author had a wing with all the lights, reflectors, high vis clothing and the like. He said the cars in calif gave him no room at all on the freway. Then he came upon a hells angel, all black bike, black leathers, had a chain with a lock over his shoulder....said not a car within fifty yards of this guy. Make your own judgement.

One of my riding buddies that just got back into bikes a couple years ago has a black CT50, stock lights and nothing else. He leaves his house at 2:30 AM for work. He's had some close calls in the dark from every angle.

He showed up last year with a HI VIS mesh vest with the Neon Yellow panels over a neon safety orange. I got to say he stands out like a lightbulb now. No doubt where he is at night when the head lights hit him.

He won't ride day or night anymore without it. In the daylight it still stands out like it's plugged in.

I don't recall the brand but I know he got it at a local bike shop. Military specs to as he goes on base a lot. Zipper front, fits well over his gear and tucks in nice in the bags.

Don't waste your money on those vests at WW. I wore them when I was doing photography for the dirt buggy boys at the track. PITA to wear and lost the shine real fast. I tossed 4 of them out.

I have been thinking about one of these hi-vis mil spec type vests to be seen a little better. I think for where I'm at I need a vented or mesh type. The Icons and firstgear ones I have seen are a solid type that look more like the sport bike types. I guess I could just get the $9 one from wal mart the construction workers wear. But I would think they might flop to much at speed. Any thoughts.

Google : safety vest,

safety jackets,

safety gear,

safety clothing,

you will be surprised at how much stuff is available and can be used

summer and winter. A lot of the stuff is high quality and tough so it can

withstand abuse.

Dion, I have an alpine stars hi viz jacket in yellow. It has saved me bacon a few times, especially on US 19, which is famous for its fatalities... I would say anything to be seen and heard is bettering your chances to avoid an issue. The vests at Walmart? Nah...

Also, you can also try some hi viz tape and have them either on your bike or added to the jacket you currently have. My jacket is really bright and looks like radiation, but hey, as Miles says, "Those blue haired ladies in Florida" may actually see me...

I picked up a bright red firsgear jacket with liner for nothing. I am having a zipper put in it thus why the good price. lol But I think when it get to be in the high 80-90's no way I'm gonna find it very easy to wear it. I might wear my Tourmaster mesh jacket. but the 2 vests I have tried on in the store felt warmish.

[ATTACH]76296[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76297[/ATTACH]

I have a Fieldsheer mesh vest that I like. Its not as bright as some, but its nice in hot weather. I'm sure there's better, but the best I could find at the time.

I both a bright yellow safety vest from Wal-mart and it has a zipper in the front. I also have a mesh type with velcro fastner. With the tall windshield on my Venture, I don't have any problem keeping it closed. I like the zipper model the best

Yea Foster thats the kind I'm thinking of, But why are the dang things so pricey. Geeze. Jacket I have that is red is like this one.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5037546608984873&pid=15.1

I picked up a cheap orange hunting vest with a zipper, probably alot like the construction vests. Works great over my regular crash protection. It's not reflective but it really stands out in the rain. I feel more visible with it when I get caught by weather so I keep it in the trunk just in case. With any luck, and diligence on my end, I won't have to fully test the theory of visibility.

-Best

-JK

• 2 weeks later...

Well while killing some time in Charlotte the other week I went to Cycle Gear. Picked up a Bilt screamin green vest. With milatary dicount under $20. Its brighter than in pic belive me. Light enough weight I think I stand it in summer.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/CycleGear/web1001085~59477?$SM$