IGNORED

Anyone here make a 'hitch' Cooler or Luggage Rack?

LilBeaver

I know we have a lot of talented members here and I am not one of them (when it comes to fabrication with fancy metal). I have seen some posts from several years ago that Squid and Carbon_one used to build these but I would like to renew the question.

Does anyone currently [or would be willing to] make a luggage rack that would go into the hitch for our bikes?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mYB1qJ4DBf2wd9qfXu96AJQ.jpg This style is what I had in mind.

I am interested in a way of mounting my 5 gallon tour tank that will allow me to still have a passenger as right now it is mounted in place of the passenger seat. I like the efficiency and simplicity of this arrangement but do not like that (1) trunk opening is limited because the backrest bumps the top of the tank and (2) I cannot use my Aux tank if I have a passenger (which is going to be an issue in a few weeks).

I am not concerned about relocating the license plate, adding lights and whatnot as I am capable of doing electrical work and minor modifications.

The tourtank itself weighs maybe ~10 lbs and with 5 gallons of fuel we are looking at maybe, what, 40 lbs total?

I can come up with a quick drawing and specific dimensions.

The tourtank is 10" x 16" at the widest points and is cylidrical. I have brackets that go around the tank and provide a flat surface in which one can bolt the tank to another mating surface.

My tank is what is labeled 4.75 gal configuration #2 (http://www.tourtank.com/TourTanks.html )

I have found some on e-bay but I would much rather support a fellow member [not to mention I have a tendency to trust the skills of our members more than an unknown...]

Thanks in advance for your interest. :thumbsup2: :mo money::mo money:

I picked up one of those in a bike buy, and it was pretty growdy, so tossed it. I think there used to be a member that made those things, but I bet if he's not around Carbon1 could whip one up for you..... I think Squid made a couple in the past too..

I bought the RIVCO rack too.

BUT,,,, when you put it on the bike and put a suit case,, or cooler on it,

you can not see your lights from behind!!!! That is a BIG DEAL!

I got a shop to fab a sheet of stainless steel and added trailer lights.

They are VERY bright, brighter than my LED run/turn/brake on the bike.

EDIT: Larry, I just saw your lights,,, real nice.

Edited by Mike G in SC

I bought the RIVCO rack too.

BUT,,,, when you put it on the bike and put a suit case,, or cooler on it,

you can not see your lights from behind!!!! That is a BIG DEAL!

I got a shop to fab a sheet of stainless steel and added trailer lights.

EDIT: Larry, I just saw your lights,,, real nice.

Ya, I had the same problem, so for the time being I got a smaller cooler so that my stop lights could be seen from behind. It must have passed for I never got stop on a 1400 mile trip.

But I do like your idea and will fabricate something like yours. Great another to do project...

Very nice Larry!

I have a light bar under my trunk and would DEFINITELY add more lights to the back of whatever gets put on.

I don't think I would need something quite as big as what is on the back of your trike though...

---

As for the 'Rivco' one, that seems like it is reasonable too but like I said, I was thinking if we had a member that was able and willing to throw one together [or was already doing so] I would rather support the member [and have some say in the specs] than buy it from someone else.

Guest tx2sturgis
I cannot use my Aux tank if I have a passenger (which is going to be an issue in a few weeks).

Sounds serious!

:yikes:

Sounds serious!

:yikes:

Rut oh... Was I that obvious?

Um... I mean... I have no idea what you are talking about... uh... yeah... that's it! :D:D:D

Or maybe it is just wishful thinking that someone's skills may be learned soon enough...

Edited by LilBeaver

Very nice Larry!

I have a light bar under my trunk and would DEFINITELY add more lights to the back of whatever gets put on.

I don't think I would need something quite as big as what is on the back of your trike though...

---

As for the 'Rivco' one, that seems like it is reasonable too but like I said, I was thinking if we had a member that was able and willing to throw one together [or was already doing so] I would rather support the member [and have some say in the specs] than buy it from someone else.

If you can tell my what size you want, I can make it for you. You can call me at 304-261-8663 and we can talk about it.

If you can tell my what size you want, I can make it for you. You can call me at 304-261-8663 and we can talk about it.

Thanks - Another member offered, via PM first so I will be talking with them first.

Thank you for the offer, I do appreciate it.

Cheers. :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis
Wouldn't mind one for the Harley trike :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey baby, nice rack!

(just getting in some practice)

:D

I made one using a 15 gallon Rubbermaid container. Word of advice: anymore than about 40 lbs. will affect the handling of the bike. And not in a good way.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45060&d=1273697886

Good to know. Do you have the stock shock on your bike? Messed with the air in it to try to help the handling? Aftermarket shock? Mess with the preload, etc?

I have a works shock on mine -- configured for a 200 lb rider and 60 lbs of "luggage"...

Hey baby, nice rack!

(just getting in some practice)

:D

I expect you to be well rehearsed then... :witch_brew:

Here is a post of mine from last year. Made my own after seeing one made buy BushTec for the Gold Wing. I all did is just turn it longways. No problem with lights. I have a light bar for the Brake and the cooler fits between the turn signals. Been on many rides and the bikes behind me say the the Brake/Turns are in full view. Had a custom cover made for it that snaps to the frame. Holds the cooler on. Very efficient.

Works great for about $120 all in...

Go Here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73303

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA

Edited by Long Tall

Good to know. Do you have the stock shock on your bike? Messed with the air in it to try to help the handling? Aftermarket shock? Mess with the preload, etc?

I have the stock shock and always keep it at 55 lbs. I also have the leveling links which raise the back up about 1".

I weighed the carrier loaded before we left for our Alaska trip and it was about 35 lbs. Trunk and saddle bags were all full and one piece of luggage on the luggage rack. Rider and passenger about 350+ lbs. Set up like this I noticed very little difference in handling but when we picked up a few groceries and put them in the trunk and placed the trunk luggage on top of the carrier, I couldn't hardly control it. Luckily we only had to drive a short distance like that.

I have the stock shock and always keep it at 55 lbs. I also have the leveling links which raise the back up about 1".

I weighed the carrier loaded before we left for our Alaska trip and it was about 35 lbs. Trunk and saddle bags were all full and one piece of luggage on the luggage rack. Rider and passenger about 350+ lbs. Set up like this I noticed very little difference in handling but when we picked up a few groceries and put them in the trunk and placed the trunk luggage on top of the carrier, I couldn't hardly control it. Luckily we only had to drive a short distance like that.

Good to know -- thanks for the additional info :thumbsup2: