IGNORED

3M Paint Protector and Pics

Hart

Just triked the 07 RSV. Has anyone used the 3M Paint Protection Film to guard against chips or scratches. I have mine scheduled to go in next week to get it done but am wondering if anyone has any experience with how it looks or lasts. I know it has a UV protector in it so the paint won't fade underneath it but is there anything else I should know. Coach Guard is installing it for $215.00.

All replies appreciated

John

[ATTACH]75873[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75874[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75875[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75876[/ATTACH]

That really looks nice. Very nice!! :thumbsup2:

I have the 3m on the hood of one of my Avalanche's. It has protected the hood since 2005, and the clear is chipped/nicked, cut and torn in places.

I'm getting ready to take a heat gun to it and remove it. I will recover it again with new once I get this old coat off..

I think its pretty close to the stuff we use to use on open wheel race cars I worked on. We called it helicopter tape. It can be bought by the roll but it aint cheap. Does a nice job of keeping stone nicks and chips off your paint and cracking the fiberglass. We used it in the AF on some stuff but orginal use was leading edge of helicopter blades for the same reason, rocks etc nicking blads and causing repairs.

That's the Hannigan conversion we all like! Looks great! I don't have any input but would love to hear how it works out. In a couple of years I will need to repaint mine..

Thanks everyone. I guess I will find out how I like it next week. It is removable but not easy to take off the dealer said. I am having them put it on top of the running board also so I don't scratch the running board when I use the pegs or when wife steps on.

I'd be interested in your results with this. I stopped at a truck accessories shop once asking about them doing something like this with a 3-M product but they said they couldn't do it to the 05 trike.

Larry

Hi Larry, The place is Coach Guard and all they do is paint protection and make banners :confused24: They do a lot of dirt and racing bikes with the protection. He had a couple Harley fenders in there doing them when I was there. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Also thanks for the lift adapter it worked great. The Trike was really stable on it once I found the center point on it. Only problem I had was with the floorboards on it I couldn't get my HF lift in far enough to catch the far rail on the adapter. I ended up welding 2.5 inch square tubing on the lift rails that were 2.5 inches longer so I could reach the other side of the adapter. Worked great after that.

John

Last summer I went to A 3M place to get a quote on getting my Hannigan trike done. The guy there told me that the fenders had a too complex shape to install a 1 piece sheet He said he could do with 3 piece & a lot of time And didn't really want to do it.

I Saw a product online called PLASTI DIP. It's a multi purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying,brushing,dipping. If you don't like it you can easily peel it off.

I got me a spray can of clear to try it , if it ever warms up around here

Ride safe Bob

that's even a cheaper fix than the Shultz...

just make sure you get the clear as it comes in a variety of colors.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Performix-075815112095-Clear-Plasti-Spray/dp/B000LNN11G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366716527&sr=8-1&keywords=plasti+dip+clear]Performix 075815112095 Clear Plasti Dip Spray - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416oMRLC-cL.@@AMEPARAM@@416oMRLC-cL[/ame]

:mo money:

HMM let us know how the spray on stuff works. The bottom of my shroud around the rad and leg gaurds are getting pitted and chipped and this stuff may help.

It will be quite awhile before I can use it, still snow on the ground here.