IGNORED

Keep the venture or move on??? Please give honest feedback...

Barrycuda

I have been riding my 03 venture since I purchased it last November, about 6 months. I enjoy riding it and ride it more than my Vulcan 1500. I have noticed with rides over 150 miles, my Right side of my neck and shoulder get stiff, tight and painful and makes the rest of my miles a battle of wills. My modifications pertaining to my issue were the barons lowering kit ( which was already on the bike prior to purchase) and the butt butler. As a shorter guy , I needed the bike lower and my feet are flat. The bike overall handles fine and it has been carb synced, as serviced with fluids and such etc. I have dropped a considerable amount of money on getting the bike to top level. Recently, I came across a 2012 Vulcan voyager with ABS and 1900 miles. I would have to trade both the venture and the older Vulcan. I am at a tug of war, because I am tempted by the fact the bike is practically brand new, and has ABS and all the bells and whistles. I would have to pay the difference. I love the reliability of my current Vulcan and this venture. However, to keep on riding with the shoulder pain, isn't fun or pleasing. Yes, of course I can get the Flanders bars, but when is it enough? Am I giving up on the bike too soon?

Please don't think I am whining, even though it certainly LOOKS like it. I am trying to decide which is better, 2 older but well taken care of bikes, or trade for the newer bike, and deal w one set of tires, servicing, insurance etc. I am not a rich guy, so I ask all of my breathe ten for the utmost, complete, non biased, subjective opinion . What info know about the kawi is that it is a 1700cc with ABS and 1900 miles. Test drove one a few months back and seemed nice. I am aware the heat output is almost unbearable and other owners wrap there's. no CD player which I like, no butt butler mod. I also have heard complaints about the flimsy bags and trunk doors. I am scheduled to test ride the bike and will see how she shifts. My current Vulcan shifts like no other, smooth, effortless. So....enough of my babbling, tell me whatcha think? Oh, btw...I have not made a definite decision

Ribbing is always welcome, just please have some info as well.

I have been riding my 03 venture since I purchased it last November, about 6 months. I enjoy riding it and ride it more than my Vulcan 1500. I have noticed with rides over 150 miles, my Right side of my neck and shoulder get stiff, tight and painful and makes the rest of my miles a battle of wills. My modifications pertaining to my issue were the barons lowering kit ( which was already on the bike prior to purchase) and the butt butler. As a shorter guy , I needed the bike lower and my feet are flat. The bike overall handles fine and it has been carb synced, as serviced with fluids and such etc. I have dropped a considerable amount of money on getting the bike to top level. Recently, I came across a 2012 Vulcan voyager with ABS and 1900 miles. I would have to trade both the venture and the older Vulcan. I am at a tug of war, because I am tempted by the fact the bike is practically brand new, and has ABS and all the bells and whistles. I would have to pay the difference. I love the reliability of my current Vulcan and this venture. However, to keep on riding with the shoulder pain, isn't fun or pleasing. Yes, of course I can get the Flanders bars, but when is it enough? Am I giving up on the bike too soon?

Please don't think I am whining, even though it certainly LOOKS like it. I am trying to decide which is better, 2 older but well taken care of bikes, or trade for the newer bike, and deal w one set of tires, servicing, insurance etc. I am not a rich guy, so I ask all of my breathe ten for the utmost, complete, non biased, subjective opinion . What info know about the kawi is that it is a 1700cc with ABS and 1900 miles. Test drove one a few months back and seemed nice. I am aware the heat output is almost unbearable and other owners wrap there's. no CD player which I like, no butt butler mod. I also have heard complaints about the flimsy bags and trunk doors. I am scheduled to test ride the bike and will see how she shifts. My current Vulcan shifts like no other, smooth, effortless. So....enough of my babbling, tell me whatcha think? Oh, btw...I have not made a definite decision

Have you put the Baron risers on the handlebars? If not, doing so could eliminate the neck and shoulder pain, it did for me. A driver's back rest helps too.

Is the throttle spring perhaps too strong and causing the muscle tension which in turn causes the pain you describe? Perhaps one of those throttle buster things on the throttle which place a pad under your palm and thus relieve the constant gripping and twisting of your wrist? 150 miles is enough for the tension to have effect on your arm/shoulder.

I had shoulder concerns and neck pains before i installed the gen mar risers to my rsv and it took care of that problem. By the way, that was 150,000 miles ago.

Spend another 79 bucks before yougive up on your 03

It is the fastest year and color rsv!!

Have you put the Baron risers on the handlebars? If not, doing so could eliminate the neck and shoulder pain, it did for me. A driver's back rest helps too.

Same with me.

Also, get yourself a lighter helmet. Get a carbon fiber one if you can ... those things are so light it's ridiculous.

DON'T buy the Voyager is MHO

Barry, its up to you. But 2 things mentioned I belive "should" cure the problem. Risers will move the bars back and take some of the reach strain out of the pic. The other is the cramp buster, throttle rocker for the throttle. Im spoiled I use the cruise. But sometimes you cant use it even on interstate drives.

I had the same problem with my rstd and roadking. Handlebars or risers are a most. 2nd a backrest and the a throttle assist like the cramp buster. But, if after 6 months and your seriously ready to move on then maybe its time.

Lot of good suggestions on what can make your ride more comfortable. Few comments by you and others why what your looking at isn't the best choice.

Get someone to take a picture from the side of how you are sitting when you are riding... bike needs to be moving, not with your feet on the ground... and post it here. I'm not an ergonomist but I'm sure by posting the pic you'll get additional suggestions or confirmations on the bars or back rest.

Minor changes can make a difference. I get a pain in my shoulder and arm when I use a mouse on the computer. Bought a track ball and I don't have the movement that was causing my pain. Even sitting at a computer desk can cause pain depending on height of the keyboard, height and angle of the seat.

If I were you, I'd consider a few more minor adjustments before moving on to another bike. What if you do this and find the new bike is worse? A no cost option might be as simple as adjusting the angle of the stock bars. Adding a back rest will make you sit differently which might also be the issue. Maybe it's your wife hitting you on the shoulder for going to fast for her?

If the new bike is at a dealer, make arrangements to take the bike for a weekend so you can ride it sufficiently to determine that it won't cause the same pains. If the RSV causes pain at 150 miles, you need to ride the new one at least that far too.

The Voyager is a great looking bike but I know someone who has one and is not happy with it. Bad mileage even with a 6 th gear, says the gear ratios are not matched well. That said they are giving the new ones away, check EBay. That kinda makes me wonder why so cheap??

The Venture is a very comfy ride, decent mileage even with a five speed, and IMHO a better built machine. Venture has its downsides also if I could afford to buy new I would probably skip the Venture because of carbs, cassette, 5speed, and no ABS. So... That said... Buying new I'd skip both but used at a good price I'm your Huckleberry.

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback and great suggestions. I did forget to mention I have a utopia back rest. That said, you all seem to have had the cure by risers and other minor mods, so I will keep me raspberry ( its the fastest and coolest color ). Lots of great advice along with, me addressing this after 6 months. hadn't thought of it that way.Guess I got caught up in the " newness" of a new bike. Ok, time to order those risers and go from there. Thank you again for taking time out of your personal lives to interact with me. I truly appreciate it. This is the best forum.

Barry

I had the same issue when I first got my 07, which was a real suprise to me because I never had that problem with my 98 Royal Star Tour Classic. I did exactly what many here have suggested, I got a set of GEN MAR risers and the pain went away immediatly, I also have a cramp buster on my throttle, that helps on long trips.

If we can get hooked up at Leesburg I will let you see what a difference the risers make on my bike.

Also you can try adjusting the handle bars as they are with out the risers to see if a different position helps , sometimes it is the angle that your arms and wrist are at when riding that cause the problem.

Barry

I had the same issue when I first got my 07, which was a real suprise to me because I never had that problem with my 98 Royal Star Tour Classic. I did exactly what many here have suggested, I got a set of GEN MAR risers and the pain went away immediatly, I also have a cramp buster on my throttle, that helps on long trips.

If we can get hooked up at Leesburg I will let you see what a difference the risers make on my bike.

Also you can try adjusting the handle bars as they are with out the risers to see if a different position helps , sometimes it is the angle that your arms and wrist are at when riding that cause the problem.

Steve, I was going to reach out to you this weekend. I am definitely going to be there Saturday. I may swing by Friday on the Vulcan, but will be there w the venture that Saturday. I certainly would love to meet up and get together. Let me know if you will be there and what time. Thanks

I wish you success in finding the cure to what is causing the discomfort on the bike.

I read that you do have a back rest. Before I got my back rest I would feel similar pain/discomfort in my neck and shoulder. A 3 hour ride was about my limit without stoping and resting.

Installing the backrest immediately cured the pains. I can now do a 15 hour day on the bike without any pain or discomfort.

We are all different and if you are a little shorter, is there any way to have the backrest push you a little forward so you are not stretching your arms out so much to the handler bars. Just a thought as I have heard from others that a back rest made a huge difference for them as well.

Good luck and the joy of searching for the right thing is you get to ride.

I wish you success in finding the cure to what is causing the discomfort on the bike.

I read that you do have a back rest. Before I got my back rest I would feel similar pain/discomfort in my neck and shoulder. A 3 hour ride was about my limit without stoping and resting.

Installing the backrest immediately cured the pains. I can now do a 15 hour day on the bike without any pain or discomfort.

We are all different and if you are a little shorter, is there any way to have the backrest push you a little forward so you are not stretching your arms out so much to the handler bars. Just a thought as I have heard from others that a back rest made a huge difference for them as well.

Good luck and the joy of searching for the right thing is you get to ride.

Thank you for your reply. I am going to be exploring other avenues to remedy the situation. Parting w my 2 bikes for the voyager is not an option any longer.

Well I think your whining and just trying to get everyone to tell you how much we want you to stay with the Venture cause you already know it's the best bike for you.:bawling::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

Pm sent

Playboy, you are too keen. Should have been a detective. :322:

I just didn't want to keep a bike I wasn't in love with due to issues with riding. Hence, this is why I reached out to all y'all. You guys and gals have WAY more riding experience than I do with bikes, let alone ventures. Glad I can have my $12 therapy session here. Cheapest around...

1 1/2 inch risers will help with that