IGNORED

MKII Choke Plunger Bent ?

While cleaning and lubing the carb and choke linkage, I noticed that one of my plungers were bent. That explains why my choke lever would never go past the half way point.

I was able to remove the plunger. Attached is a picture.

I was wondering if anyone has a non usable carb laying around with a spare plunger. PM me if you do.

Now my thoughts are if I try to straighten it will it break off. And if it does not then how strong is the tip. Will it break off later.

Whats the best method in straighting the brass plunger?

The other question is how does a plunger get bent in the 1st place?

How does it get bent? Wasn't your bike in a major crash event last year?

On the bent bit, your photo is very helpful. This type of brass is an alloy making it harder than the usual soft brass. If it were my problem, I'd clamp the shaft in a padded small vice, and gently hammer the projection end straighter, doesn't need to be perfect for the application, just better. Due to the metalurgy, heating the part doesn't help. The bent part should have most of the original strength, unless one keeps bending it, then fatigue sets in. If it broke off, I'd grind/file the end flush, then drill and tap a suitable screw into the shaft as a replacement end. If all else fails, I'd start looking for a replacement part, as soldering and welding would have mixed results.

My mantra is "if a human designed and made it, surely I can understand it and fix it"

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88