IGNORED

How rigid is to rigid?

robclark63

I just got through with a progressive install with block off plates. I have 6 1/2 inches to the top of the fork with compressed forks and a 3/4 inch spacer with 10 weight oil. The question I have is how stiff is too stiff...there is very little movement in the fork. I also have no air in the front forks from the class.

Thanks for any info you can give me.:confused24::confused07:

will do, but how much travel should there be if I pull on the front brake and push and pull...there seems to be very little and it seems to sort of pump up and be very stiff...it could be because I have removed the steering dampers. I will have to go run it tomorrow, got late tonight and ran out of daylight...

It is a huge change in the feel from old OEM springs to new Progressives. At first it does feel pretty stiff until you get used to it. As said, go for a ride for a bit and see how it responds. Some have tried 5wt oil (tranny fluid) and lower oil level in the forks. You said you were already at 6 1/2" now so that's a bit above the limit. Don't think another 1/2" lower would make a whole lot of difference.

Others here have experienced the hard suspension after doing the anti-dive block offs on the MKII. If I remember correctly, Dingy finally determined that a simple anti-dive block off plate on the MKII interfered with the flow of oil in the forks. I think JimmyEnglish had such an issue, maybe someone else. I think reinstalling the OEM anti-dive units (but disconnecting the anti-dives electrically) fixed these instances of hard suspension.

Many who have installed Progressive™ front springs have not used any spacer. It seems that the fork cap provides just the right amount of preload. YMMV

Here's the thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73466

And it was an issue with the A/D block-off plates on the MKII.

Edited by Prairiehammer

Others here have experienced the hard suspension after doing the anti-dive block offs on the MKII. If I remember correctly, Dingy finally determined that a simple anti-dive block off plate on the MKII interfered with the flow of oil in the forks. I think JimmyEnglish had such an issue, maybe someone else. I think reinstalling the OEM anti-dive units (but disconnecting the anti-dives electrically) fixed these instances of hard suspension.

Many who have installed Progressive™ front springs have not used any spacer. It seems that the fork cap provides just the right amount of preload. YMMV

Here's the thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73466

And it was an issue with the A/D block-off plates on the MKII.

Now that is interesting.

I wonder if there was an oil passage cut between the two ports in the block off plate if that would alleviate the hard suspension????:whistling:

Jeff,

That was Gary's thinking (finally) as well.

Apparently, the A/D on the MKI handles the oil differently than the A/D on the MKII.

I don't know if Earl has modified his MKII block-offs or not. The groove or passage between the O-ringed ports on the MKII block-offs would certainly complicate the required sealing gaskets or O-rings.

Just a word of caution, make sure you do have some travel.... I work with a guy who filled his forks pretty much full of fork oil, and did not have any travel. The ensuing ride after ended in a crash. If there is no travel the front end will bounce, not a good thing.