IGNORED

Torn between two Venture's.

New to the organization, but have already learned a lot. I am looking at a couple of 1st Gens, and would like some guidance to make my decision.

Bike A is a 1990 with 25,000 milesand a lot of bling. It has light bars on the side cases, trunk and front fender. It has KC driving lights, brake rotor covers, side case luggage, all the helmet controls (in a bag, not on helmets) and original tool kit and service manual. He even has a cover for it, but it has not been used, because it is really dirty. It is missing one button on the handlebar radio control, and has a piece of fairing broken where there are wind deflectors bolted on. The battery is weak (original type with sensor), but when charged it started and ran fine. Tires are 8 years old and both are less than 50%. It was mid 40's, so it took full choke for about a minute. Owner wants 3,500 for it.

Bike B I have not seen in person yet, but it is a 1989 (same color as A) with 23,000 miles and was in for service this winter. Owner states that ignition module and coils were replaced, along with "full tuneup". I will get the chance to see receipts when I go to check it out. This one has no extra ornaments on it, but it does have drivers backrest. PO passed away and the family fixed it up to sell it. It has a new battery (don't know what kind yet) and tires are 75%. The pictures look really clean. This one can be had for 3,000.

Which one? :confused07:

Dennis

Bike B!

More things to not work or to go wrong on bike A. Dirty shows his overall care of the bike. Personally, I'm not one for a lot of bling....I have a stock '86 and the closest thing to bling is the dual firestik antennas I changed to.

The stock stator in the 1st Gen doesn't have a lot of extra room for extra power needs. Bike A is overpriced, especially with all of the work that is needed. I paid $2,800 bucks for my '86 in 2005 so I would an '89 to be less than that today.

Hope it works out for you!

Dave

function before fancy, if bike b is tuned and running like a top i would go for that. you can add all the extras you want while you ride. pretty wont do you any good sitting in the shed while you hunt down parts. just the way i see it

I hope these will help. I am torn on what to tell you. These are beautiful bikes when "blinged out" . The blue is my favorite. There is a gold 87 with a trailer that was just posted for $3500.00 that has a lot of extras. http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4537

But, all advice given here is good, unless it came from a 2nd Gen owner then do the opposite ! :no-no-no:

:rotf:

CHECKLIST for 1st Generation VENTURES.doc

You know that there is a song about your problem....

By

Mary Macgregor

Torn Between Two Ventures lyrics

Torn between two Ventures, feeling like a fool

Loving both of you is breaking all the rules

Torn between two Ventures, feeling like a fool

Loving you both is breaking all the rules

You mustn't think you failed me just because there's another one to consider

You were the first real love I ever had,

Never looked at a 2nd Gen

I swear that still is true

For no one else can have the Venture color blue :sun:

Kit you should sing it, record it, then post it.

I would offer $2000.00 for starters for each and see where that goes.

I bought my 89 VR in June of 2010 for $2500 with 24K miles. It was in nice shape, licensed and run some each year. It came with Chrome Caliper covers, Chrome fairing air intake vents, Markland floor boards, Markland hwyway boards, Ventureline back rest, Chrome side covers. The Chruise Control did not work tho. Tires were probably at 70%. Took it over to Jack(Condor) he synced the cards and I took off for an 800 mile trip home. Ran perfect. It can ve viewed on my profile "1st trip in 27 years"

While looking for a parts bike I came across a 91 VR with 6500 miles, in show room condition, origional owner. Never saw a drop of rain, always in a heated garage. he said he ran it yearly a couple times but never took it out for a trip. I synced the carbs and changed all the fluids, ran perfect. It was a Royale with only chrome caliper covers as accessories. I paid $3500 for it. I want to pay only $3000 for it, but he wouldn't come down so I gave him his $3500. George S and MikeWa saw it sand were amazed of its condition. I send the 91 seat to Butler Seat and he did his trick on it. He said that he has not seen any 1st gen seat in such pristine condition. Well the 91 is history for I wrecked it last year. It can be viewed "MyNewToMy91venture" on my profile with a lot of accessories that I moved from the 89 VR.

I think that $2000 is a good starting point that is if the 90 runs. But I would probably go with the 89.

Good luck...

Edited by Golf&Venture

Do not be fooled by.... tires have 75% ! How old are the tires? Every tire has a date code on it.... check them! If they are five or more years you are replacing them so subtract a set of tires from purchase price... by the time the smoke cleared at the shop today I was $745.00 with taxes and a set of rear pads all installed on my 2002, prices may vary in your region.

And yes Bling is nice but it means nothing on dead tires and batteries.

Good, someone mentioned the tires! Tires more than 6 years old are a no no even on cages, much less motorcycles where you only have 2 of them keeping you upright! You certainly have a tough decision as IMHO both are worthy of consideration. I agree with Brian, start at an offer of $2000 and negotiate from there. You should be able to pick up either for less than $3000, just bring the cash with you as money talks, bull crap walks!

When it comes to resale, bling adds very little to the value of a bike. If anything it personalizes a bike and the buyer might not have the same personality! This was brought out in a recent episode of Pawn Stars where a bike (yes, a Harley) was brought in with a red paint with pink flames and Big Hoss's argument was that there wasn't a big market for bikes with pink flames and that he would have to repaint the bike to make it salable which brought the offering price down a couple of thousand dollars. The same is true of lights and chrome doo dads. Although they cost to buy, they do not necessarily make the bike any more desirable or run any better...

Running is better than a pretty garage queen.

Broken plastic is a big issue, it is hard to find.

If the 89 had the ignition module and coils replaced with new, that was well over $1000 at a stealer. But check the age of the tires.

And they are both blue...... Watch out for Dan making a road trip to WI if he can escape the watchful eyes of the warden........

My 2 cents

Bling is nice BUT reliability is better.

1. Bike A needs tires. 8 year old tires no matter how nice they look are due for replacing. (I just bought a set of E3 $430.)
  2. Broken plastics - UGH! fixing will may screw up the paint.
  3. Dirty bike, says to the way it was cared for.
  4. Bike A need battery

On paper I'd go with bike b for a few reasons,

Asking price is less - offer less as well.

p.o. passing away & eager to sell

bike seems cleaner

maintenance done

new battery

Tires may be an issue check dates

with the savings you can find bling (I did I bought a blinged parts bike for $600)

Then again, a test drive may make me go the other way!

I got a chance to look at bike B today, and it was not in very good shape, after all. I seriously doubt it only has 23k on it. It must be 123k. There were a lot of cracks, adhesive and extra screws all over the plastic. The bottom of the instrument cluster had a bunch of adhesive on it as well.

The aluminum engine cases were very corroded and pitted. Even the aluminum on the handlebars is corroded. Some of the side panels were loose (probably broken posts) and had some broken vents. Trunk had cracks.

I think I am going with the first one. I drove it today and it ran without any problems over a short 6 mile run. I may be able to get the battery and tires for under $250. If I can get that off the asking price, I'm in.

I hope these will help. I am torn on what to tell you. These are beautiful bikes when "blinged out" . The blue is my favorite. There is a gold 87 with a trailer that was just posted for $3500.00 that has a lot of extras. http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4537

But, all advice given here is good, unless it came from a 2nd Gen owner then do the opposite ! :no-no-no:

:rotf:

heck, now it's only $2800....isn't the trailer worth a chunk of the $2800 ? Could off the trailer and keep the venture....win win

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/data/3/large/Yamaha_Update.JPG

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/data/3/large/Trailerupdate.JPG

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/data/3/large/YamRight.JPG

heck, now it's only $2800....isn't the trailer worth a chunk of the $2800 ? Could off the trailer and keep the venture....win win

Kit you should sing it, record it, then post it.

I would offer $2000.00 for starters for each and see where that goes.

I bought my 89 VR in June of 2010 for $2500 with 24K miles. It was in nice shape, licensed and run some each year. It came with Chrome Caliper covers, Chrome fairing air intake vents, Markland floor boards, Markland hwyway boards, Ventureline back rest, Chrome side covers. The Chruise Control did not work tho. Tires were probably at 70%. Took it over to Jack(Condor) he synced the cards and I took off for an 800 mile trip home. Ran perfect. It can ve viewed on my profile "1st trip in 27 years"

While looking for a parts bike I came across a 91 VR with 6500 miles, in show room condition, origional owner. Never saw a drop of rain, always in a heated garage. he said he ran it yearly a couple times but never took it out for a trip. I synced the carbs and changed all the fluids, ran perfect. It was a Royale with only chrome caliper covers as accessories. I paid $3500 for it. I want to pay only $3000 for it, but he wouldn't come down so I gave him his $3500. George S and MikeWa saw it sand were amazed of its condition. I send the 91 seat to Butler Seat and he did his trick on it. He said that he has not seen any 1st gen seat in such pristine condition. Well the 91 is history for I wrecked it last year. It can be viewed "MyNewToMy91venture" on my profile with a lot of accessories that I moved from the 89 VR.

I think that $2000 is a good starting point that is if the 90 runs. But I would probably go with the 89.

Good luck...

:sign yeah that::2cents:

Seeing a bike is so important . as i was reading this i felt a bike needing a good cleaning isn't bad . but the tires had me worried too. Old tires must be replaced . But an owner that dresses up a bike also has put a lot of time and thought into the machine. Glad you saw the bike first.

I bought an 85 sight unseen from Michigan. I got lucky. thought the trunk had been repaired the owner did half way decent job. The fork seals were leaking but i got the bike for 1800.dollars with 3 new tires.

Congrates on the bike and welcome to the forum.

:ice_congrats-vi6886:thumbsup2: