IGNORED

HJC SY Max II II and simliar modular helmets

Snaggletooth

I've had several HJC helmets over the years and when I decided to buy a new one I liked the reviews for the HJC SY MAX II modular on the WebBikeWorld site so I went with that. The model was getting older and I found one at MotorcycleGear.com and purchased from them.

I was happy with the helmet for fit and finish and liked the modular feature a lot. I'd had full face in the past so the flip up was a plus.

I'd had the helmet for a little over a year when I started to have problems with the chin release not working right. Some times it would pop right open and sometimes not. Didn't care for the NOT part. So I researched the SY MAX II. Found another article on WebBikeWorld concerning the chin latch failure.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/hjc-sy-max-2-flip-up-failure/

Kind of uncomfortable with that info so I contacted HJC directly. They were aware of the failures but less than helpful due to two things

1) Past the 1 year warrenty

2) They don't sell directly to the public.

So they did suggest to contact the seller. I fired off a friendly inquiry to the MotorcycleGear folks about the situation and they were well aware of the problem also. Within 48 hour I had a RAF to send it back and the best they could do was exchange it for another helmet. Except for two things.

1) The SY MAX II was out if stock and probably stay that way.

2) A friend of mine had done a rather nice pin stripe job on it. Dang!

So I set the helmet aside and figured for what I had bought the helmet for I wasn't out that much and would buy another new helmet. (Probably a full face model after learning a bit about the latch problems on modulars)

So the helmet got set aside and I got bored the other day and decided to look at the latch assembly and see what failed.

What I found was not the same issue as described in the WBW article at all. What I found was not the pivot points at the latch catches but the center point where the pivot is for the chin release bar. The molded plastic nub for the screw mount had completely pulled away for the chin body itself. This is not even much a pressure point. Just a spot to retain the end of the pivot to lift the bar that goes to the release catches.

I decided to clean up the parts and attempt to expoxy the nub back into place. I built it back up with some extra epoxy and filled the screw hole for a good grip.

I stripped down all the mounting points for the release catches and inspected every mounting nub in the helmet. I found no other sign of weakness at any point so it went back together when the expoxy cured on my repair.

With the repair made the chin release worked well as new. I'm not to concerned about another failure at that point as if that breaks again the chin will still lock and stay locked with an impact. I do still have concerns about the overall durabilty of the mounting points for the retaining and release catches. The plastic nubs there are no stronger than the one I repaired. If they break under impact..... the chin will more than likely not stay closed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knockin HJC at all. I still like their products. Kudo for the customer service from MotorcycleGear folks for standing behind their sales and respect to WBW for their honest articles and reviews for products good or bad.

But with knowing what I've seen during this last deal with my own helmet I do question the safey of the modulars just due the number of moving parts that may fail.

So with that said if you have a modular helmet and have noticed any difference in the movement of releases or pivots, before the season starts take a look at it. Be sure it's safe for the time you need it.

Edited by Snaggletooth