IGNORED

New RSV-S

Ride2much

Buying "new" is never a good deal unless it's a bike that has been sitting there and they are offering a deep discount. Buy used, plenty out there for less than half the price and usually with go faster chrome. But if you insist on spending the extra cash, by all means, make the purchase.

If no one ever buys a new one then there will be no used ones to buy later.

If you are planning on keeping it a long time then it is not as bad to get new just so that you are not dealing with anyone else's problems.

I bought my truck new 17 years ago but I know it was broken in correctly and it now has 300K miles. I could have got a 1 or 2 year old truck but I would not know if it was broke in right. the breaking does not show up till much later in a vehicals life. I know people that get a new vehicle every 3 years. They do not worry about proper break in because they will not have it long enough for it to be an issue.

Sometimes you can get a better deal by financing it even if you have the cash. Some dealers get a commission on the financing some times there are other financing incentives to the dealer and will share that with you in the form of a lower purchase price. You can always pay the loan off a week later.

Don't be afraid to make an offer and then turn around and walk out the door telling them that you are driving to XYZ dealership to see if they will take your offer.

If no one ever buys a new one then there will be no used ones to buy later.

If you are planning on keeping it a long time then it is not as bad to get new just so that you are not dealing with anyone else's problems.

I bought my truck new 17 years ago but I know it was broken in correctly and it now has 300K miles. I could have got a 1 or 2 year old truck but I would not know if it was broke in right. the breaking does not show up till much later in a vehicals life. I know people that get a new vehicle every 3 years. They do not worry about proper break in because they will not have it long enough for it to be an issue.

Sometimes you can get a better deal by financing it even if you have the cash. Some dealers get a commission on the financing some times there are other financing incentives to the dealer and will share that with you in the form of a lower purchase price. You can always pay the loan off a week later.

Don't be afraid to make an offer and then turn around and walk out the door telling them that you are driving to XYZ dealership to see if they will take your offer.

Of course when you buy new and keep it 17 years, there isn't anything used either. When was the last time you bought a new bike or car? I see in your avatar you bike is quite old. Not trying to start an argument, but you make a statement about buying new and then you say you bought something new 17 years ago and still have it. Hmmmm.

I bought my 09 RSV "used" (was only 3 months old and had 2500km on it so it was practically new). The last two cars I bought were used as well.

Sorry... but I don't think telling someone that is buying a new bike that they should buy used is good. There is nothing like a new car, a new bike, or a new house. Knowing that YOU are the first owner, that no one else has messed with it.... the smell of a new house/car.... sorry, but if you haven't had the pleasure then you are missing out.

Sure... a car depreciates the minute you drive it off the lot. But who cares? No one plans on selling their car the moment they drive off the lot. And really... knowing that it is new and you are the only one .... priceless.

I bought my 09 RSV "used" (was only 3 months old and had 2500km on it so it was practically new). The last two cars I bought were used as well.

Sorry... but I don't think telling someone that is buying a new bike that they should buy used is good. There is nothing like a new car, a new bike, or a new house. Knowing that YOU are the first owner, that no one else has messed with it.... the smell of a new house/car.... sorry, but if you haven't had the pleasure then you are missing out.

Sure... a car depreciates the minute you drive it off the lot. But who cares? No one plans on selling their car the moment they drive off the lot. And really... knowing that it is new and you are the only one .... priceless.

Agreed. I buy all of my cars new. Just bought my wife a 2013 Honda CRV. I buy alot of things new. But a motorcycle, I will probably never buy new. The hit you take on value on a motorcycle is too much for me. Plus there are plenty of poeple willing to take that hit. I bought my 07 RSV in 09 with 9100 miles on it for 11k from the original owner. He had 21k into it. He took the big hit, not me AND I love my bike just as much as if I would have bought it new. But that's just me.

Back to your question is price on this high. Several 2012's new on eBay for 16-17k range. Only difference is color. I'ld start with that price as reasonable for new, plus a little more if the dealer is local and you know they have good service. Of course if you like the color on 2013 more then that's fine too.. Just decide how much difference that color is worth to you. Bottom line, buy what you like best and enjoy the ride!!

Ride2much,

Lets address your original question first. Is that a fair price for a "2013" RSV-S? The answer is yes.

However, the question that needs so much to be answered is.......WHY? Assuming you are not interested in buying a used or slightly used bike like so many of us would do, lets talk about why you would spend $20k+ on a new 2013, when the bike has been identical for the last umpteen years?

I agree with some on here that make a case that there is a certain value in buying new because you know that you and only you will be the first and only owner. No guess work needed as to how well it was treated by the previous lover. So, why don't you save yourself a chunk of money and look at the scores of brand new 2012, and 2011 models that are out there. It's the exact same bike with different color options. There are 2012 and 2011 brand new ones sitting in dealerships all across the country. You still get the 5 yr warranty. There is absolutely no change in mechanics of the machine for the past several years. Heck, just last month the Yammy dealer down the road from me finally sold a brand new 2011 RSV that he has had on his floor for over a year. It went for $14700.00.

If money isn't an object for you, well crap, run down and grab that 2013 for $20K+ and get to ridin. But, if you're interested in buying the exact same bike AND saving a chunk of money, somewhere there's a brand new 2012 or 2011 waiting for you to come get it at an awesome price.

Ride2much,

Lets address your original question first. Is that a fair price for a "2013" RSV-S? The answer is yes.

However, the question that needs so much to be answered is.......WHY? Assuming you are not interested in buying a used or slightly used bike like so many of us would do, lets talk about why you would spend $20k+ on a new 2013, when the bike has been identical for the last umpteen years?

I agree with some on here that make a case that there is a certain value in buying new because you know that you and only you will be the first and only owner. No guess work needed as to how well it was treated by the previous lover. So, why don't you save yourself a chunk of money and look at the scores of brand new 2012, and 2011 models that are out there. It's the exact same bike with different color options. There are 2012 and 2011 brand new ones sitting in dealerships all across the country. You still get the 5 yr warranty. There is absolutely no change in mechanics of the machine for the past several years. Heck, just last month the Yammy dealer down the road from me finally sold a brand new 2011 RSV that he has had on his floor for over a year. It went for $14700.00.

If money isn't an object for you, well crap, run down and grab that 2013 for $20K+ and get to ridin. But, if you're interested in buying the exact same bike AND saving a chunk of money, somewhere there's a brand new 2012 or 2011 waiting for you to come get it at an awesome price.

This is exactly what I meant buy buying a new one that has been sitting around for awhile. It's still new, but discounted down pretty darn good!!

Don't forget you have a 600 mile checkup and if I remember it was oil, adjustments . . . and that was another $200 or so dollars. I bought a new one in 2011 and it is nice knowing that you are the only registered owner, breakin. Mine has 2 miles on it. Make sure you get your isimple/ipod with it and a good walk around

I was surprised at the price on them new ones, I always buy new but thats me. I would not buy a Venture for 20000+ when you can get a much nicer bike for that money, well maybe a little more ,HD, Goldwing, BMW, Victory

I was surprised at the price on them new ones, I always buy new but thats me. I would not buy a Venture for 20000+ when you can get a much nicer bike for that money, well maybe a little more ,HD, Goldwing, BMW, Victory

NO better bike than the Venture !!!!

I bought a new one this year too, still have not ridden it ( another ton of snow fell today!). Anyway, here in Alberta, everyone wanted $20,000 for it, and there were some dealers that had some a couple of years old for not much less. I found one dealer that had it on sale for $17,800, which i bought. I Actually saw an 09 in a dealership for only about $1000 less than what I paid for a 2013. I don't care that it is the same bike since 99, I like new and don't plan on selling it for many years. I know when buying new that I m not buying someone else's problem, or poorly maintained bike. I also looked at the Goldwing ($10000 more), and the Victory ($5000 to $10000 more- depending on which model) too expensive for a toy. I bought a 1997 gmc Sierra truck brand new, sold it in 2008 when I bought a brand new Toyota Tundra, which I love. Like I said, I like NEW! It just feels good,you know?

Dale

I bought a new one this year too, still have not ridden it ( another ton of snow fell today!). Anyway, here in Alberta, everyone wanted $20,000 for it, and there were some dealers that had some a couple of years old for not much less. I found one dealer that had it on sale for $17,800, which i bought. I Actually saw an 09 in a dealership for only about $1000 less than what I paid for a 2013. I don't care that it is the same bike since 99, I like new and don't plan on selling it for many years. I know when buying new that I m not buying someone else's problem, or poorly maintained bike. I also looked at the Goldwing ($10000 more), and the Victory ($5000 to $10000 more- depending on which model) too expensive for a toy. I bought a 1997 gmc Sierra truck brand new, sold it in 2008 when I bought a brand new Toyota Tundra, which I love. Like I said, I like NEW! It just feels good,you know?

Dale

When does riding season start in Edmonton ? Same time as Winterpeg ? LOL............... . 2013 RSV's all run between $19,995 - 21,995$

Edited by AngryAmish
typo