IGNORED

front forks not rit after progressive springs install

johnnycruiser

Crap snaggletooth I was hoping to line up the air port and measure oil level from top and be done. I think I will try it anyway. If it still doesnt feel right then I'll take a day and tear it all the way down again. I should have taken my time and asked on here b4 I put it all back together again but WANNA RIDE!!!! Any ideas on how to get that stripped head bolt out of the bottom of the left fork????? By the way, I do have a paypal account. Thanx for the pics of the turn downs, I believe I'd like to get them

John, on the air collars......

There are rubber bumpers (looks like a round castle nut) that fit on the forks just above the air collars. If you have a tube sticking up above the tops of the trees that far you may have one missing. And check closely that the thin wire circlips that go below the air collars are still in their grooves on the inner legs.

With the bumpers and clips in place everything should fall where it should and go no farther.

Edited by Snaggletooth

Oh i missed your other post snaggletooth. Yea I made both those tools. I tried to just take off lower fork like I saw in one thread but couldnt get the seal to go down so had to take upper fork tube off and go to Lowes and get da pvc stuff to drive the frk seal all the way down so the lock ring would sit

John, on the air collars......

There are rubber bumpers (looks like a round castle nut) that fit on the forks just above the air collars. If you have a tube sticking up above the tops of the trees that far you may have one missing. And check closely that the thin wire circlips that go below the air collars are still in their grooves.

With the bumpers and clips in place everything should fall where it should and go no farther.

OH GREAT!! I'll check all that tomorrow. I know the circlip on the right side is correct but I need to look it all over better tomorrow. I told the Yamaha parts guy when i picked up my carb gaskets, o-rings, and fork bushings that I would probably see him soon! What sux is it takes 7-10 days to get parts. Does anyone know a site I could get a bumper(if needed) quicker?

I'll check my spare parts but I don't remember having any extras. Maybe one of the guys will have one laying around.

Send a PM to skydoc_17 and check with him. He might have one and he does order parts for members. None of it's really fast no matter where you get them from.

Mike

That sounds like it's tight then. Yep. Try the 10mm allen and do you have a hand impact with a 10mm bit?

Hand impacts are your best friend on these bikes.

The 10mm is too big. Yea I read where people used air impacts on them. I have one but I had stuck my camera under the fork and took a few pics and the head is reamed out. I dont know if the po did it taking off or putting on but SOMEBODY did it. I didnt wanna try an impact and make it worse. the 8mm will grab a little if I angle it but slips right away. That side isn't leaking yet but eventually I know it will.

Now that is odd. The OEM allen bolt is 10mm. I'm hoping the PO didn't get too creative.

You don't want to know some of the things I've found done to forks over the years. It gets ugly. :rotf:

Air impacts work fine for taking them apart. (but ya gotta get a bite). NOT EVER for putting them back together. (in my opinion anyway)

If it is an 8mm you might get lucky to get a bite with a Torx bit. I was just digging in my box and I don't have any Torx bit that will bite on a 10mm.

Take a break, back at it tomorrow. It will get there.

Mike

I had read on here it was an 8 or 10mm. So i bought both and now dont remember which i used. Lol. ur probably right Mike and my memory is wrong. Now how can that be?? Me with a bad memory!! Hahaha. Today is the day I get my answers. I hope triple B (Big Blue Bertha) is in a good mood. I should go get her a treat!! I will let y'all know this evening what I find out. If I'm not back on here sooner with questions. That's the cool thing about this site...u can b working on ur bike, run into a problem, get on here and ask a question, and usually get an answer in time to go fix the problem :bluesbrother:

Having personal knowledge that a PO might use anything for a replacement bolt/screw/nut/whatever, have you tried using a standard hex, like a 3/8"? That would be .020" smaller than a 10mm (.375 vs. .394), plus going off a socket head chart, a 10mm hex would be standard on a 12mm thread and a 3/8" hex would be on a 1/2" thread, so if they boogered up the 12mm threads, a 1/2" thread would be the next closest size up (.472 vs. .500). Just a suggestion.

-Andrew