IGNORED

Insurance Coverage In Ontario

Midicat

Sorry about my statement, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I did not mean to insult anybody. I have been in Canada on many occasions and liked what I saw and did while there.

Wow our U.S. brother adds a little humour & good natured dig and you go OFF-SIDE! Your an embarrassment. He was making fun of our situation in general re: the high cost of Ins. Nothing personal at you! Maybe you should look at some professional help if that's all it takes for you to loose it. Either that or you were looking for an excuse to get your money back?

Hey slowrollwv the rest of us got it!

Sorry about my statement, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I did not mean to insult anybody. I have been in Canada on many occasions and liked what I saw and did while there.

Hi Chuck, I don't think you said anything that warrants an apology, his retort was the only rude remark in this thread. How you been, your health holding up? Somebody was looking for parts (muffler brackets) on here the other day, are you still making stuff? Cheers, Ron

I pay around 650.00 a year through the Personnel insurance company in Missisauga and I am fully covered :thumbsup2: and that's on a 04 Midnight Venture

Barry

Hey Barry; Same year bike,Same Insurance company. Premium $1050 This would be my point about Brampton. I also had a friend in London area with a newer Venture that paid less than me as well in past years and with the same insurance provider.. I called the Personal but they were adamant that where I live has a higher rate than other parts of the province. Funny thing is the first thing I do is ride out of Brampton(ha-ha) and into the country.

As long as I can afford it I will ride and that I hope is a long time.

As for south of the border I am sure they realize that a big part of our insurance is the medical portion that they do not always have as some members from the US. here have told me. Bottom line is you pay what you pay or shop around or move or whatever. I like where I live so I pay what I have to to keep riding.

Hate to actually defend pprince.... but insurance is a very tender point with us Canucks. You've got to admit paying double to ride half the time is ludicrous, an obvious insurance gouge.

But, with skin that thin I'm surprised he could handle the wind behind a bike. :)

'nuff said

In sask. we have no choise , we have a gov. insurance here , full coverage with a $700.00 deductable, my 02 RSV is $1545.00 for a year , the 87 VR is $1350.00 a year and there is a big deal going on right now . They are looking into putting all bikes up , the crotch rockets are looking at a 300% increase ,, for me the 02 with go up to $2650.00 a year and the 87 is for sale so I am not going to plate it this year .

For my 07 RSTD with custom paint ( read that as can not be touched up and valued at $6000.00) I pay 389.00 full year full coverage... i do have two other vehicles a 2012 Jeep and an 07 Ranger with the same company, AMA. Overall I pay a little over $2000.00 for all three full coverage with an average of 135 km per day on the bike or the Ranger depending on the season.

I have wondered what others pay for their rides....

Wow, insurance seems to be all over the map regarding prices. I got full coverage, replacement value on a 2013 RSV for $627/ year. I wonder if some of the higher prices we are hearing about have something to do with your a poor driving record, like multiple tickets or previous accidents, etc. I also think that charging someone more due to what area they live in is ridiculous! isn't that like charging a particular ethnic group more because they typically are bad drivers?

I'm with State Farm for my 07 RSTD and just got my renewal at $1233.81 for full coverage which has remained relatively the same since I bought the bike in 08. It's a big expense but for the pleasure I get from my riding it's worth it to me.It's a lot but I know I'll have no problem in the event I have a claim.My buddy was with Jevco last year and had a problem and got screwed around royally

In sask. it does not matter about your driving record for the price for the bike , here they charge you more for your driver's licence if you have a bad record , every one pays the same for the same bike .

There was a change to the increase , due to every one complaining ,, mine will only go up 15% , so this year it will cost me $1539.00 and then as of aug 2013 it will go up to $1770.00 ,,, did i mention that we also pay $4.50 for a gallon of gas ,,, $1.21per lt.

Hi Chuck, I don't think you said anything that warrants an apology, his retort was the only rude remark in this thread. How you been, your health holding up? Somebody was looking for parts (muffler brackets) on here the other day, are you still making stuff? Cheers, Ron

HI Ron My health is OK (no operations planed) this year. I am doing some parts, like the Carb covers and breather covers and the hanger brackets, but I am out of the hanger brackets right now.

I started with Kingsway in 2005 at $500.00 for Liability only by 2008 they jacked me up to $1000.00. So I switched to riders plus back down to $600.00. by last year they jacked me up to $800.00. Come October I will be shopping around again.

Edited by saddlebum

Wow, insurance seems to be all over the map regarding prices. I got full coverage, replacement value on a 2013 RSV for $627/ year. I wonder if some of the higher prices we are hearing about have something to do with your a poor driving record, like multiple tickets or previous accidents, etc. I also think that charging someone more due to what area they live in is ridiculous! isn't that like charging a particular ethnic group more because they typically are bad drivers?

Your in for a shock here!! That is what it is! Two highest areas in Ont. if you live there? Brampton/Mississauga & Markham/Richmond Hill and why.....well they Ins. Industry will tell you it is the area with the highest claims. Why? They will tell you lots of traffic with the rush in & out of the GTA so more Rick of accidents. Also more fraudulent claims being made here.

But here is the kicker they don't tell you.....both these areas are the fastest growing in Canada with the most diverse population/highest immigration of ethnic groups. A lot are new drivers never owned a vehicle where they have come from. Also if they did drive before hand and have years of experience, they have never seen snow never mind drive in it. I work down in this area and many of these people are my friends and co-workers, so don't accuse me of being anti immigration or racist. I'm just saying this is how the ins. Industry compiles that stats and justifies there rates in these areas. Ridiculous yes! Just like how they use to hammer all the new young male drivers but not the female new drivers. My son was so happy when they change it to just new drivers period! And his rates went down but my daughters weren't to happy when theirs went up. But the Ins. industry in Ont. only made billions in profits and they call this kind of profiling RISK assessment.

Thanks to those who posted here!

I was with Jevco...which was bought out by Intact.

For basic coverage (no collision or comprehensive) they wanted to boost my rates from $850 or so to over $1000.

I found that both Allstate and Desjardins would offer me the same coverage for almost 1/2 of what Intact wanted.

It pays to call around and ask questions.

Only after I asked about experienced rider type discount the one company said .....oh yeah....that can give you almost 30% discount.

Needless to say....I didn't go with that one.

full coverage for the 87, same rate 2013, no record, 1,069. Every year I try to negotiate a rate reduction with the ins rep and get the same response :rotf: , rates are set based on too many fatal claims in the province.... that's 'their' story.

On the upside, apparently this same policy covers and extends thru winter should one decide to trailer ones bike to southern states for 6 months eh... pay the piper.