IGNORED

Brake lines cracking?

garyw

I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday picking up a few items getting ready for spring and the parts guy was telling me about late moder RSV and simular models having problems with break lines cracking and brakes going spongey. I have about 11K miles on mine and he said I should have the brake system flushed. Is this an attempt to get more service business or is it real? I would have something like that done when I need a brake job but before then? Any thoughts?

Brakes and clutch should be flushed once a year. If you check them and they are dark in color it needs a change. I had 60,000 on mine and went to stainless steel lines and cables. I also use speed bleeders, they make flushing the system a lot easier.

Actually I think the dealer in this case was pretty honest about it. How much he wants to do it might make him questionable. :rotf:

I would agree with the brake fluid flush being a regular scheduled item to do. Keeping fresh fluid in the system helps control the contamination by moisture and debris. It's not hard to do yourself and once you get the hang of it it takes less than 15 minutes to do.

Adding the Speed Bleeders shaves time off of that.

Don't forget about doing the clutch system at the same time.

I think the owners manual even states the idea of replacing brake lines every two years or so. I think that is a bit of overkill but still they do deteriorate over time.

Changing to Stainless Steel lines is the best thing you can do.

Some of these 1st gens haven't had new brake lines for over 20 years. They still function, yes, but safety is an issue. Grab the rubber brake line on an older bike and bear down on the brakes. You will feel the line expand. Do you feel comfortable with that?

Although I'm not in agreement with flushing every year which IMHO is overkill, it is something that should be done periodically, depending on mileage and time. Your dealer may be a little overenthusiastic but he is not out of line. As mentioned, if your fluid is dark brown it has a lot of moisture in it. Moisture is what makes it turn color.

Stainless steel lines are a little pricey but well worth it. Along with longer life, you also get a little better braking power because SS lines do not expand like rubber ones do...

SkyDoc sells SS brake lines in choice of 4 colors - $300

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4052&title=second-gens-sbrake-2fclutch-5-line-set-21&cat=22

"YOU GET 4 S.S. BRAKE LINES, YOU GET A S.S. CLUTCH LINE, YOU GET THE SPECIALLY MACHINED VMAX SPLITTER, YOU GET THE S.S. SPLITTER ADAPTER BRACKET WITH ALL S.S. HARDWARE, AND YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR BRAKE LINES IN 4 DIFFERENT COLORS, CLEAR, (SILVER) RED, BLACK, AND BLUE"

I had the "oh s#!t what happened to the brakes" experience on my 09 thispast Oct. In the mountians on twisties following a dweeb in an SUV that obviously didnt know how to drive twisties. Thats how I got the problem to start. Had to ride the rear brake more than I really wanted to scrub speed off, then he started almost stopping going into corners. Anyways the rear brakes faded out I mean so bad I thought I had a leak. Once I stopped and verified no leak everything had cooled enough, brakes back and good to go. Milage was about 11K at the time. I think every year may be overkill, but I certainly would vote for a 2yr program of flushing. Make sure you get DOT 4 fluid. If its dark like Jack Daniels it needs changed.