IGNORED

Yamaha's new 950 ...maybe we are next??

Atoolnut

Well from the looks it is a decent bike but too small for me after riding my Venture the last seven years. I will keep my bike and do some upgrades instead of buying another bike. Like V-Max cams and springs, V-Max gears and a DK-3. That should do it for this year anyhow.:whistling:

Looks like a cheap sportster knock off but that just my opinion from the picture.

more like a skirtster, just another warmed over leftover idea, looks like a twenty year old idea. not much different from a Virago 950. I wish Yamaha would stop trying to be Harley lite, and make some innovative bikes, maybe mount some of their sport bike engines in a cruiser frame. I bet Yamaha would be supprized how many would eagerly give up that V twin look and sound for a smooth running thourobred. The 1300 deluxe is at least a cruising touring bike the ladies can fit on

put a 150 hp engine from a FJR on a luxury tourer and I would be fighting to be first in line:fingers-crossed-emo

Al

For what its suposed to be I dont think its bad looking. But where is it price wise for what its compairing to? I mean an 883 sporty is what under $6k. Heavens only knows why they wont make a touring bike with like a FJR or sport bike motor detuned for civalized folk. Its pretty obvious they are making thier money on the sporty bikes I think so thats where the R&D money goes.

I guess some will like it but I just don't think it will be a big seller. And what is it with Yamaha that they can't figure out how to make a gas tank without the big flange/seam showing like that. Our bikes have it too but it really seems to stand out on that one.

But where is it price wise for what its compairing to? I mean an 883 sporty is what under $6k.

Assuming you can get a harley Dealer to sell you a bike for MSRP the 2013 883 Iron (model Yamaha is targeting with the bolt 950) is the cheapest sportster and MSRP is 7999.00

Per the article MSRP on the new yamaha is also 7999 or 8290 for the R spec which adds a few extras. The yamaha is lighter , likely faster than the 883 and IMO better looking than the Iron.

I have ridden both an 883 and a 1200 sportster before and will Venture a guess that the Yamaha 950 will likey be smoother, although Yamaha seems to have a habit of making their bikes shake on purpose now. You gotta love the marketing department.

I still say (hope) they will build a tourer with a version of the new Vmax motor. That would make the most sense form a cost recovery standpoint.

Nope; I'll keep my 07 RSTD. I think yamaha has regressed instead of Progressed. Looks too much like a HD Sportster. I am sure somer will buy it . It just wont be Me.

Jim Bell

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: :dancefool: 5 days left in Afghanistan :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

:beer::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::beer:

If someone has a product that is a good seller and they make a ton of money off it why wouldn't you want to get on the band wagon. We all know HD is the king of motorcycles that's why we compare everything to them. I had a 1983 Honda 900ss back in the day and this reminds of it. Suzuki , Kawasaki and Honda all had bikes like this. To me it looks more like a retro look-a-like, like they are doing with a lot of the cars. The gas tank and the exhaust is nothing like a sportster.

Its not bad! Belt drive, springer seat option, led brake lamp, disk brakes, 950cc. Its not a Victory High Ball, but its almost half the price. If I was 16 and wanted something to run around on and couldn't get a Fury or the adventure NC700x, it would be an option. Definitely better than Honda's phantom 750 that's shaft drive, drum brake (rear) and 200cc less for the same money.

[. We all know HD is the king of motorcycles that's why we compare everything to them.

Not sure I would call Harley the King, there are very few kings but a lot of sheep. We do not compare all bikes to Harleys, we wonder why they are popular, sort of like why vanilla Ice cream outsells the other flavors instead of the bourdeux cherry chocolate chunk I am eating right now. As for the king, I just looked down at my shirt it appears to say king of the road Royal star Venture.

Ok I agree if you look at numbers you will see Harleys outselling the others, why I will never understand, I have occasionaly owned other bikes including Harleys, I allowed myself to be convinced they were better via peer pressure, never kept them very long. The yamahas I have owned have been much more reliable and more comfortable for my tastes. That's why I keep hoping Yamaha will move away from being a wanna be Harley lite builder.

Al

Guest tx2sturgis

Cool bike, but in the $7000 to $9000 range, there is a lot of competition for bobber/barhopper money.

Not really a competitor for our attention, we tend to like the bigger smoother, comfortable highway luxo-barge road-sofas.

But if you're 25 years old, have out-matured your 600cc crotch-buster, and want to add to the fleet in your parents garage, it might be a good option.

I like to see the styling department get some time at the CAD now and then...just my :2cents:.

Will I go out and buy one? uh....no.

[. We all know HD is the king of motorcycles that's why we compare everything to them.

Not sure I would call Harley the King, there are very few kings but a lot of sheep. We do not compare all bikes to Harleys, we wonder why they are popular, sort of like why vanilla Ice cream outsells the other flavors instead of the bourdeux cherry chocolate chunk I am eating right now. As for the king, I just looked down at my shirt it appears to say king of the road Royal star Venture.

Ok I agree if you look at numbers you will see Harleys outselling the others, why I will never understand, I have occasionaly owned other bikes including Harleys, I allowed myself to be convinced they were better via peer pressure, never kept them very long. The yamahas I have owned have been much more reliable and more comfortable for my tastes. That's why I keep hoping Yamaha will move away from being a wanna be Harley lite builder.

Al

this is so funny (move away from being a wanna be) if yamaha had there own style of motorcycle what would it look like. I mean Ford pickups are the best so Chevy,Dodge,GMC, Toyota pickups are wanna bee,s :rotf: