IGNORED

1st gen upgrade battery cable sets ..... maybe

Mike,

Since your "get rich scheme" has died, would you cough up the pertinent information about the cables: lug configuration, lug hole diameter, cable length, etc.?

I don't want to take all the cables off until I have new ones made.

Pretty please?

Your adoring minion, Kevin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that I have found all the necessary items to fabricate the cables. They would be made from 4 ga welding cable, crimped and soldered terminals. Terminal to cable attachments covered with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

The initial investment would be near $500.00 to obtain bulk pricing. This would be 200 feet of cable and an assortment of connectors. The cable would be available in red and black with terminal lug ID's from #10 to 3/8 in.

I have a spare set of Gen I MK II cables for samples. Others would need to have specs provided. Any length and configuration could be made available, within the limits of the materials available, as described above.

The cables could be made to any practical configuration. I need a make unique set for my 86 as the battery is being moved to the right saddlebag. The coils, OEM TCI, and fuse panel are being scrapped. This leaves a nice big hole for the Ignitech, coil over plugs and a marine style fuse panel.

I will measure the OEM cables and figure a price for fabrication. I may make a set and post a picture or two for your consideration.

I am not planning to order 200 feet of cable and 50 or so terminals if there is not enough interest to reach the break even point. I would estimate that a 3 foot cable, with lugs and a #10 pigtail, would be about $20.00, with shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. Add or subtract about $3.50 for each foot in length.

When I was making them I used the welding cable, and a commercial hex crimper. The cable is a tight fit but does help a lot. Takes some patience to get them threaded in. Then soldered the lugs. The hardest part was the accessory leads. I solved this with the ring terminal as shown in the one picture. The ground side used a large posilock. Hardest lug to work with was the 90 degree on the ground cable. Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the cables again, I will make up a few sets. I do have all the components and the crimper. About 130 feet of cable. Just been quiet on this subject in order not to step on any toes. I believe I can do a complete set of three cables with accessory leads and the extra leads for about $55.00 inside the U.S. Not sure on Canada, it was about an extra $7.00 for priority shipping.

Will dig out my stuff and get set up. Take a week or two with my present schedule.

No pre-pays or orders yet. I will put them up as they are done.

JB

I intend to replace the main fuse with a MAXI Fuse.

I am going to eliminate the connector in the neg ground pigtail. Mine got acid on it and is corroded beyound repair. I will replace with a but splice. I use the splices with the built in adhesive lined heat shrink.

So for both of these I just need a chunk of 10 AWG wire.

The extra "accessory" pos wire is a nice touch.

Edited by Flyinfool