IGNORED

Help...I have to go to Sidecar school

Miles

Despite my attempt to avoid going to any kind of motorcycle riding school...because I could foresee serious conflicts between my experiences, and what the instructors would be teaching in class...I now have to go to a special class that teaches people how to ride a Sidecar/Trike.

In Washington State, the law says that if you want to operate a 3 wheeled Trike or Sidecar rig, you have to have a special endorsement. It is a different endorsement than for 2 wheeled motorcycles. The only way to get this endorsement for Trikes/Sidecar rigs is to attend a 2 or 3 day class, both written and riding skills tests, and if/when you pass this class, then the class will give you a certificate to show to the Dept. of Licensing, to have the endorsement added to my drivers license.

I have had a motorcycle endorsement for 43 years. I have ridden sidecar rigs several times, and most recently from Prince George, B.C. up to Prudhoe bay, Alaska, and back. But I did not have the endorsement for it. That was not a problem in B.C. or Alaska (as far as I know). But in WaWa State, I have to get this endorsement. They have beginner classes, and advanced classes, but to take the advanced class...you have to supply your own rig...either trike or sidecar rig. Since I do not have my new sidecar YET...I elected to sign up for the beginner class.

So, it is seriously...honestly...no joke...going to be painful for me to sit there for 2 full days and watch these instructors attempt to educate newby riders as how to ride a trike or sidecar rig. I have been practicing...not riding...but practicing keeping my mouth shut...and listening, rather than making strange faces at them. I think I am ready for this painful ordeal. I will find out Saturday morning. It is just far enough north of me, and starts at 8:00 am sharp, that I will go north tommorrow evening, stay at a motel for two nights, and attend the class all day on Saturday and Sunday. I am 100 % confident that I will pass the class...no problem ! I did not say I would ace it, but I will pass it. My only trepidation is whether or not I can keep my mouth ****, keep my opinions to myself, and be a good little boy.

This same motorcycle safety instruction class has tried for many years to get me to be an instructor, but as I have told them, my experience of riding more than a million miles on the road will be much different than what they teach as riding skills, so I can see a conflict, and I choose to avoid that.

This is going to be hard:depressed:

:backinmyday:

Miles let us knpw how it goes I am trying to get the MSF to let me become a sidecar rig instructor out here but no go they say they are over staffed in NC.

The closest sidecar class to me is Fla or Pa and I am not going to play that game.

What chair did you order????

Jeff

Despite my attempt to avoid going to any kind of motorcycle riding school...because I could foresee serious conflicts between my experiences, and what the instructors would be teaching in class...I now have to go to a special class that teaches people how to ride a Sidecar/Trike.

In Washington State, the law says that if you want to operate a 3 wheeled Trike or Sidecar rig, you have to have a special endorsement. It is a different endorsement than for 2 wheeled motorcycles. The only way to get this endorsement for Trikes/Sidecar rigs is to attend a 2 or 3 day class, both written and riding skills tests, and if/when you pass this class, then the class will give you a certificate to show to the Dept. of Licensing, to have the endorsement added to my drivers license.

I have had a motorcycle endorsement for 43 years. I have ridden sidecar rigs several times, and most recently from Prince George, B.C. up to Prudhoe bay, Alaska, and back. But I did not have the endorsement for it. That was not a problem in B.C. or Alaska (as far as I know). But in WaWa State, I have to get this endorsement. They have beginner classes, and advanced classes, but to take the advanced class...you have to supply your own rig...either trike or sidecar rig. Since I do not have my new sidecar YET...I elected to sign up for the beginner class.

So, it is seriously...honestly...no joke...going to be painful for me to sit there for 2 full days and watch these instructors attempt to educate newby riders as how to ride a trike or sidecar rig. I have been practicing...not riding...but practicing keeping my mouth shut...and listening, rather than making strange faces at them. I think I am ready for this painful ordeal. I will find out Saturday morning. It is just far enough north of me, and starts at 8:00 am sharp, that I will go north tommorrow evening, stay at a motel for two nights, and attend the class all day on Saturday and Sunday. I am 100 % confident that I will pass the class...no problem ! I did not say I would ace it, but I will pass it. My only trepidation is whether or not I can keep my mouth ****, keep my opinions to myself, and be a good little boy.

This same motorcycle safety instruction class has tried for many years to get me to be an instructor, but as I have told them, my experience of riding more than a million miles on the road will be much different than what they teach as riding skills, so I can see a conflict, and I choose to avoid that.

This is going to be hard:depressed:

Head down to central Mississippi and I'll cure that "don't have one" problem.... :cool10::cool10::cool10:

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

What chair did you order????

Jeff

Jeff, we are getting the Champion Sidecar Co...Legend Sidecar, in all Black, to match my '06 RSMTD. I am even going to supply a 16" front wheel from a RSTD/Venture to be used on the sidecar, so that all wheels match.

http://www.championsidecars.com/products.asp?scPage=3&catID=3&itemID=18

I won't get it until this next late Fall, so I can install in late Fall, and then ride it next year.

I am really wanting the Hannigan GTL for the 12 wing I have to get back to work as soon as the doctor releases me so I can talk Mini in to adding it to the bike

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/sidecars.html

Jeff

Jeff, that is a very nice sidecar to attach to a newer Wing. I wernt with the Legend model from Champion, because I wanted an older look, retro, to look like an old Indian style sidecar.

I understand I have a Motorvation formula 2 mounted to my 02 Venture I pulled the chair off and sat it next to the wing but it didnt look right so I spent some time window shopping and this is the best looking one I found for the wing. I also like a real heave sidecar so I dont have to worry about picking the wheel up off the ground in a curve

Jeff

Wow!!! This is the first I have ever heard of something like that!! In NY if you pass on 2 wheels you are good to go for 3 wheels, but if you take the test on 3 wheels you are restricted to just 3 wheels...

Come on, Bob, you already knew that NY does things backwards from all the other states:rotf:

Yeah, In Washington we can get a Class 3 endorsement...for 2 wheeled motorcycles...or a Class 5 endorsement...for trikes and Sidecars...or a Class 7 endorsement...which means I can ride 2 wheeled bikes and trikes and sidecars. A Class 7 covers it all.

I also like a real heave sidecar so I dont have to worry about picking the wheel up off the ground in a curve

Jeff

Jeff, that is easy...simply put an 80 pound bag of goat feed in the sidecar:rotf:

...So, it is seriously...honestly...no joke...going to be painful for me to sit there for 2 full days and watch these instructors attempt to educate newby riders as how to ride a trike or sidecar rig....

Thing is we all pick up bad habits and no matter how many safe miles you've ridden, practical experience.... if you pick up even one thing that keeps you safe, your life is worth 2 days.

Thing is we all pick up bad habits and no matter how many safe miles you've ridden, practical experience.... if you pick up even one thing that keeps you safe, your life is worth 2 days.

Don, you are 100 % right. I know that, and will keep my mind open.:detective:

Edited by Miles

If i were to get one for my 07 midnight, I'd want on like this:

QUOTE]

Easy Rider, that looks good, but...I do not ever intend to have a passenger in my sidecar.

My wife rides her own bikes. She "may" take the RSMTD with sidecar for a ride a few times, and on ONE occassion she will offer to give her friend a ride in the sidecar, but not me.

I originally bought my first RSMTD in August 2005. I special ordered it, and it was an '06 RSMTD. The entire reason I bought that first bike was to eventually put a Legend sidecar on it. After a couple years of riding the '06 RSMTD, I grew tired of the bike, because I was used to the speed and handling of an 1800 Wing, my FJR13, and others I have. To me, the RSMTD was too slow, to heavy, and it bored me. I traded it in after 2 years for another 1800 Wing. I rode that Wing for 4 years, and then decided I was done with very high speed endurance riding (insert laugh here)...so I traded that '06 Wing in for this used '06 RSMTD.

I even thought...hmmm...is this my old '06 RSMTD ? I checked the VIN on it, and it was not my old bike. But now, with all the bikes I have, I decided to do the sidecar thing...again. I have been spending the last year and a half reworking the RSMTD to be a better bike, and now I am ready to order my sidecar.

When it is all done, it will look good, and have more than enough power to flat-track the entire rig through big sweepers:rotf:

I had ridden a sidecar for over 12 years and was always learning something. Going into a class thinking you already know everything could be a sad mistake . Especially if you miss something that in the future might save your life. Also you may have something to contribute to those instructor. Remember as an older rider you will always have something to contribute. go in with and open mind and a desire to learn and contribute.

learning that a sidecar immediately returns to a motorcycle the minute that outside wheel leaves the ground is a mistake that has killed many a new rig rider. because a bike counter steer and a rig doesn't. :thumbsup2:

You know, I've been a computer instructor for many years, since 1987 to be specific. I've also been a student in classes where I thought I knew more than the instructor .... the bad parts of that was, I didn't pay attention, did the multi-tasking thing (opened my mouth, spoke some words, and made an arse of myself) and found my foot in my mouth a few times. Since then I learned to humble myself, never pre-judge something, to keep an open mind, and to remember that no matter how boring something might seem to be, to always try and learn something or barring that, to at least be entertained. One thing else I learned .... never try and "one-up" the instructor, especially in front of the class! LOL (and that's a lesson I've taught a few over the years myself LMAO)

If i were to get one for my 07 midnight, I'd want on like this:

QUOTE]

Easy Rider, that looks good, but...I do not ever intend to have a passenger in my sidecar.

My wife rides her own bikes. She "may" take the RSMTD with sidecar for a ride a few times, and on ONE occassion she will offer to give her friend a ride in the sidecar, but not me.

I originally bought my first RSMTD in August 2005. I special ordered it, and it was an '06 RSMTD. The entire reason I bought that first bike was to eventually put a Legend sidecar on it. After a couple years of riding the '06 RSMTD, I grew tired of the bike, because I was used to the speed and handling of an 1800 Wing, my FJR13, and others I have. To me, the RSMTD was too slow, to heavy, and it bored me. I traded it in after 2 years for another 1800 Wing. I rode that Wing for 4 years, and then decided I was done with very high speed endurance riding (insert laugh here)...so I traded that '06 Wing in for this used '06 RSMTD.

I even thought...hmmm...is this my old '06 RSMTD ? I checked the VIN on it, and it was not my old bike. But now, with all the bikes I have, I decided to do the sidecar thing...again. I have been spending the last year and a half reworking the RSMTD to be a better bike, and now I am ready to order my sidecar.

When it is all done, it will look good, and have more than enough power to flat-track the entire rig through big sweepers:rotf:

So... since you are not planning to haul anyone, do you intend to haul "stuff" in it, or, are you buying just to have one...

To haul your favorite goat perhaps?... LOL :confused24:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Guest tx2sturgis

In Washington State, the law says that if you want to operate a 3 wheeled Trike or Sidecar rig, you have to have a special endorsement.

Ignoring all the boasting, Miles, :moon: it seems like they should have some provision that allows an experienced rider to bypass some or all of the hoops and hurdles.

With Ural HQ in your state, maybe they should look into that...and you might be the guy to get the ball rolling.

After all, your typical 16 year old teen driver can hop in a 24,000# GVW truck that has 6 wheels and hustle it down the road pulling a loaded livestock trailer, and do it with a standard license that he may have only had for 2 weeks, but someone with your credentials needs to go play nice with the MSF guys and donate $150 or so?

Here in the republic, a motorcycle seems to still be a motorcycle...at least...so far.

:happy34:

Okay, ya'all, I have completed the State mandated sidecar/trike class, and now have the certificate to turn in to the Dept. of Licensing, so that I can change my drivers license to allow me to ride anything made.

At the start of class, there were a total of 12 of us students. There were 4 women riders, and 8 men riders. By the end of the first day, one of the women dropped out, saying it was just too much for her right now. At the start of the second day, with 11 students left, we had classroom again in the AM, and riding skills again in the afternoon. After the morning classroom education, we had what they gloriously call...a Celebration of Knowledge...meaning a written test. After the riding skills education in the afternoon, we had another Celebration of Knowledge...a riding skills test.

There were some people that did not pass the written test, but were allowed to take the riding skills test, so that "if" they passed that, then could come back and simply take the written test again, hoping to pass it the second time. Of the 11 people that took the written test...8 people passed it. At the start of the riding skills test...there was only 10 of us, as one more of the women dropped out. Of those 10 people that were left to take the riding skills test...2 of the men riders were dropped out, due to failure to properly complete the riding skills test. Now we were down to 8 people left. One of the guys dropped out by the instructors was an older guy with his own personal HD trike.

After all the education for two days, and written test and riding skills test were done by the end of the 2nd day, there were only 6 people that received their certificates for having passed both tests. 1 woman and 5 men. BTW, that 1 woman had never ridden a motorcycle or sidecar rig or trike before...ever. She had snowmobile experience, and is a flight attendent for Alaska Airlines, but she worked hard to learn what she needed to , and she did damn well.

Of the 100 points available for the written test, and 100 points available for the riding skills test, for a total of 200 points, I scored a total of 194 points, for a total of 97% average.

I have to say...I learned a LOT. The instructors were very good, two of the three instructors knew me, or knew of me, and we had a good time. Riding a sidecar rig is much harder than I ever thought it would be. The trike is a little easier, depending on model. We also had two Can Am Spyders...an RS, and an RTs, and they were a BLAST to ride around the course. The last riding skill test we had to do was to "fly the chair" in a full circle around a ring of cones, without putting the chair back down before the circle was completed. Once the skill was learned, I did a full 1 and a half circle with the chair flying.

I opened my mind...kept my mouth partly shut:whistling:...and assisted other students as much as I could. There was great harmony and friendship amongst all student riders, and we all supported one another. I learned a LOT...or did I already say that? Yes I did, and it was worth repeating.

As of NOW...the sidecar rig that I had a deposit on with Champion is going to be put on hold, and my wife and I are looking at getting at least one...maybe two...new Spyder RT's.

It was all worth the experience to me. I have suggested that my wife take the same class, even though she already has the endorsement for 3 wheelers (grandfathered in by an error at Dept. of Licensing)

So, that's all folks...