IGNORED

Dash Gauges 1st Generation

I've had some problems with the gauge cluster on my 1986. The speedometer was making the weird "screech", then the gauge began to bounce back and forth, not holding steady, and finally,the needle itself popped off and is just laying inside the case, making the speedo completely inoperable (including the odometer). i found one from a 1987 on ebay and after modifying the plug to work on the 1986 (86 and 87 have a different electctrical plug in off the back of the cluster), the speedometer still doesn't work, and the tachometer needle moves very slowly compared to the original gauge, although it does work. The rest of the dash seems to be working accurately. Should I just assume that I got a bad cluster and try finding another one on ebay? Does anyone know if the electrical plug coming from the back of the 83-85 cluster will be compatible with the 86? It appears that it would be (just from pictures i see on ebay)I would prefer not having to re-wire this plug again, and if an earlier model gauge cluster would work, it opens up many more possibilities, regarding availability. Any opinions?

First, your real issue is most likely your speedometer cable. There is also a possibility that the speedometer itself did indeed seize up. Instead of rewiring, just swap out the speedometer assembly.

Now for your question, the '84 and '85 should be compatible, but the '83 is not! However, the parts are interchangeable except for the CMS...

What ever resolution you decide on, you might want to take a look at this Speedo Coupling Greaser tool for maintenance.

If you are interested, I could loan you mine. If you like it, you can keep it, for the regular advertised purchase price, for I can probably get another one down the rode from my friend who makes them. Otherwise just use it and send it back.

The squeaking normally comes from the tiny bearing in the neck of the speedo coupling.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4264&title=1st-gen-speedometer-bearing-coupling-greaser&cat=37

Guest Robair 1946

Hello,

The instrument clustr in all Ventures from 84 thru 93 are identical and parts are interchangeable. If the one you got does not fit, it must be from an 83. That year is unique, and has the clock above the computer monitor.

Rob