IGNORED

new 1300

dacheedah

doesnt compete at all with Victory. my Vegas is 100 ci

You are so right. It doesn't compete at all with the Vegas.

Mainly because the Yammy has: a fairing with sound and GPS, color integrated hard locking bags, and most importantly, it's........LIQUID COOLED.

Oh yes I did. LOL.

Just ribbing ya.

I love my RSV, but if I was in the market for a new bike, it would either be a Kawasaki or a Harley. I would not even consider Yamaha and their current line-up. Victory....looks like a$$, so does the gold wing. Not my style preference.

From what people tell me After riding the Venture you would be very unhappy with the Kawasaki.

From what people tell me After riding the Venture you would be very unhappy with the Kawasaki.

Back in the fall of last year, I went to a large multi line dealer here locally and test rode back to back to back a brand new 2012 Kawasaki Voyager, a very slightly used (272 miles) 2012 Victory Vision, and 2010 Yamaha Venture with 25K miles. I ride a 2007 RSTD that has given us great service as we've vacationed across this great nation over the past 4 years. The idea of moving to a full dressed tourer has been on my mind for quite some time now, hence the test rides of those three bikes.

My findings shocked me, and left me walking away from the dealership unsure what my next steps will be.

I, like so many others have grown weary of waiting on Yammy to upgrade the Venture, so I went to the dealership hoping that the Voyager would be the answer I'm looking for. I really liked the fact that it looks different, it has a great company with years of solid quality history building it, and the fact that it's liquid cooled turned me on. Well, that all changed with the test ride, and inspection of the bike. I was shocked that the dange thing vibrated so bad at freeway speeds, and the wind buffeting was something that I don't even have on my RSTD which only has a windshield. Then, what really disappointed me was how flimsy the plastics are on the bike. The saddlebag lids wobble real easy when theyre open, and the trunk was the same way. The flimsyness of the windshield surpised me too. I know the power plant is probably bulletproof because it's made by Kawasaki, but the fit and finish of the bike, as well as the ride characteristics, just flat shocked me.

The Vision was very impressive. It felt quality built, had plenty of power, and was way smoother than I ever expected it to be. Very nice bike, but it had two hangups that bother me. 1. It's air cooled. 2. It's a very long bike, so the space between the rider and the fairing makes for an area of feeling like it's way out there. However, I really liked it.

What shocked me the most was the 25k mile used Venture. This bike performed way better than the Voyager, and was neck and neck with the Vision as far as overall likability. I was stunned that as old as the design is, it felt extremely comfortable, with hardly any wind buffeting , and the powerband of the V4 was unlike, and considerably more fun that the other two. It felt very solidly built and the Yamaha fit and finish quality was there as usual. The thing just felt like home.

I came away from the whole process with a competely new respect for the Venture. I think what it's done is caused me to give it this year to see if there is a new Venture design, and if that doesn't happen, then I'll probably start looking for a very clean low miles used one and be happy.

Or, I might keep the RSTD and ride the hair off of it. Who knows. LOL.

Guest tx2sturgis
Back in the fall of last year, I went to a large multi line dealer here locally and test rode back to back to back a brand new 2012 Kawasaki Voyager, a very slightly used (272 miles) 2012 Victory Vision, and 2010 Yamaha Venture with 25K miles.

The Vision was very impressive. It felt quality built, had plenty of power, and was way smoother than I ever expected it to be. Very nice bike, but it had two hangups that bother me. 1. It's air cooled. 2. It's a very long bike, so the space between the rider and the fairing makes for an area of feeling like it's way out there. However, I really liked it.

Might I suggest you take a ride on the Victory Cross Country Tour.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/victory-cross-country-tour-review/

If my Venture ever got stolen, wrecked, or whatever, I believe that the XCT would be my next ride. I took one for a demo ride a few years ago, and its the only bike I think is in equal territory as far as comfort and quality as the Venture. My opinion, FWIW.

Of course, you cant go wrong with the Venture, either.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I would say nope !

Just an upgraded 1300 V-Star. But with some really nice add-ons I would like to have on my Venture for sure.

And the waiting continues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I saw the blue 1300 Saturday at a multi-dealer showroom. It did have the GPS in the dash. But I didn't even look at the bike as,,,,, it's way down the chain from the RSV.

It was sitting next to the new Honda F6B. Well, it looked better in pictures.

It has a bigger rear end than my aunt Birtha.

It sat low,,, but it is so wide at the thighs that someone with 30" or less inseam will not be able to flat foot it. Heard some comments from friends about "felt like giving birth".

I also sat on a Bergman. Actually comfortable when you put your feet up. I'm 62 now, may look at one in 8 or 10 years.

Would seem to me Yamaha is starting to come around .

GPS, No CD player, EFI, No suckie air shock, perhaps a lower center of gravity, liquid cooled for all you harley/vision fans, changes in frame etc so on so forth...

Lets wait and see what the big boy will evolve into...

Might I suggest you take a ride on the Victory Cross Country Tour.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/victory-cross-country-tour-review/

If my Venture ever got stolen, wrecked, or whatever, I believe that the XCT would be my next ride. I took one for a demo ride a few years ago, and its the only bike I think is in equal territory as far as comfort and quality as the Venture. My opinion, FWIW.

Of course, you cant go wrong with the Venture, either.

Brian,

As a matter fact, not long after those test rides, I had the opportunity to test an XCT. The bike was SWEET. I liked it considerably more than the Vision. The storage capacity on the XCT is cavernous. It was chilly that day and the heated seat and heated grips were awesome.

Certainly on top of my list if Yammy doesn't do something.

3 things that I am so hung up on that i want on my bike are: 1. Liquid cooled. 2. Shaft drive. 3. More than 2 cylinders. WHY DO I HAVE THIS HANG UP!! Someone please convince me that those things don't matter so I can lose the phobia.

Guest tx2sturgis

Certainly on top of my list if Yammy doesn't do something.

3 things that I am so hung up on that i want on my bike are: 1. Liquid cooled. 2. Shaft drive. 3. More than 2 cylinders. WHY DO I HAVE THIS HANG UP!! Someone please convince me that those things don't matter so I can lose the phobia.

Not gonna argue there, in fact, your first 2 reasons were very much involved in my decision to buy the Venture.

But your desire for a revamped Venture is puzzling to me.

I see that a lot on this board...in fact, several times a year it seems the collective here gets all excited hoping the next years models will include a redesign on the Venture.

I for one, love it the way it is.

If they improve it a little bit, I'm ok with that...maybe a better dash design, better rear shock, quieter clutch whine...etc.

But a complete revamp will shove the resale value in the crapper, which is good if your buying, not so good if your selling. Worse, the aftermarket supply of accessories, goodies, bling, and replacement parts will dry up after a few years, just as it has done with the 1st gen models.

A new Venture is around 20 grand MSRP. How high would that climb if a new model came out? 22K? 25K? Yeah, watch the sales figures tank, against competition like Honda, Harley, and BMW, and the bike disappear completely in 3 years.

No thanks.

So I'm in the camp that says please leave it alone Yamaha! If a buyer wants something that the Venture is not, then by golly, they should go buy one of those.

Or so it seems to me.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I love my RSV, but if I was in the market for a new bike, it would either be a Kawasaki or a Harley. I would not even consider Yamaha and their current line-up. Victory....looks like a$$, so does the gold wing. Not my style preference.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had high hopes for Victory bikes. But over the years they have gotten ugly. No, Homely. Beaten with a Homely stick.

Were I in the market right now I would have to pop into a Kawi dealer.