IGNORED

I'm buying new tires for the volusia....

GAWildKat

Ok guys, Mike needs a rear tire...unexpectedly... I know I need a tire, the rim strip, what else? I called the yammy place a few mins away and they will get me squared away. they quoted me $230 for both tires (pirelli mt66 tires) and $120 to mount both. I can't afford both this week so rear comes 1st, on or about thurs. I'm price comparing online so let me know.

FWIW....I put a set of the MT66 Pirelli's on Gunboats '99 RSV before he sold it. Now I know that an RSV and a Volusia are 2 different bikes, but I was not impressed with those tires at all. I personally will never buy them again. Now some guys might argue the statement I'm about to make, but I have had good luck with the Shinko's that I have put on my 1st gens. They are priced right and I like the performance out of them. The only draw back is they wear a bit quicker. I am going to try a different style of Shinko (the 777) on my '86 and see how they perform. I dont know what size the tires on the Volusia are, but you may want to see if they have a set that will fit it....

:2cents:

I did a little digging and found this info on the '04 Volusia

Front Tire Size 130/90-16

Rear Tire Size 170/80-15

At Motorcycle Superstore I found 2 styles of Shinko that I would run, the 230 Tour Master, which is sitting on my '86 right now. Then the 777 which I am going to try very soon. The 230 Tour Master is made in the sizes for the Volusia

130/90-16 Tour Master $69.99

170/80-15 Tour Master $87.99

130/90-16 777 is $77.99

The rear was not available in the exact size the closest size is a 160/80-15 $100.99

That rear tire is slightly narrower, and slightly shorter, but would work on the Volusia. You can see the savings, as anything over $89 is free shipping so your looking at $158.00 for the 230 Tour Masters (for both) and $179.00 for both of the 777's, here's the link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/0/0/Motorcycle-Tire-Finder/Tires.aspx?WT.ac=All_Tires_-_Footer_1_05.07.12_TFBanner#&&Back=1-0-1-292-0-2-15-4

Mike might kill me if he sees this, but goina post the edited pic of the kenda kruz rear he has right now on the bike....and to think we were both on the bike yesterday...sheesh. The new guy at work told him the rear tire looked a bit bald and asked him when he checked the tire last, today as he walked past the bike when he was loading the car, sunlight caught the metal gleam on the cords. Yes, the bike is grounded til I get the tires changed, yes I've called around to a few places looking for a tire. I haven't the 1st clue HOW to get the rear tire off myself, and unless someone comes to the house with a trailer it's unlikely I'll get the bike to any shop on my own (Do we want me to try my maiden voyage riding on that tire?) lol I've messaged one friend down the road if he has a truck and trailer I can borrow to get the bike towed if I need it. Yes, I'm grumpy and annoyed at this, but it is at least an annoyance, and he better not do this again if he expects me to ride again...

You'd be amazed how many tires worse than that get ridden to my shop. Heck, I even had someone had a worse one his buddy gave him he wanted me to install!

I wouldn't be concerned about a careful ride 11 or 13 miles on a dry day to get it replaced.

Mike wants me to brag :bang head: :stirthepot: :stickpoke: that he believes he got nearly 15k on that tire.... he can't say that for sure because the speedo has been acting up since nov. Anyone who wants to call him and chew him out personally....pm me for his phone number :p Warning...he might threaten murder on me for the last bit :p

Mike wants me to brag :bang head: :stirthepot: :stickpoke: that he believes he got nearly 15k on that tire.... he can't say that for sure because the speedo has been acting up since nov. Anyone who wants to call him and chew him out personally....pm me for his phone number :p Warning...he might threaten murder on me for the last bit :p

Tell him next time to only get 13K:big-grin-emoticon:

I'm curious, if he's so happy with the wear on the Kenda why are you shopping for something else?

This is Mike's 1st bike and thus the 1st set of tires was other ppl telling us what was best. He never liked the way the tires rode and felt, and said on this next set he wanted to try the dunlop 404 or pirelli mt66. On the volusia forums the pirelli have been well rated, but the 2 local bike shops that I know the owners of told me no. One told me last night (he's a facebook bud) that he refused to even sell me pirelli, he's just never had good luck with them. The bike shop we normally use to ask the newbie things and such agreed to order a dunlop 404 for the bike, will be in tomorrow, a friend that lives down the road from us (all of 10 mins away) is going to stop by and help me load the bike on his trailer thurs and drop the bike off to get a new rear tire, the shaft drive lubed and the speedo sensor checked In a couple of weeks a new front tire. The deciding factor this time against ordering online is the shop gives us a line of credit. Likewise they have a credit line with us when they need their shop computers fixed or the network repaired. In the future I think I might start buying new tubes and rimstrips to keep on hand. Mike's lesson for the week....verify tire mileage... and when the new guy at work says "Bro, Aren't your tires a bit bald?" Maybe you need to take a good look... lol I'm just glad that we didn't have a blow out Sunday, and got to and from work safely. Neither Mike or I profess to know about bikes, but what I glean from the forum gets passed to him. Yeah, I'm a bit hard on him here (he's not watching the thread today) but I feel as much responsible for this as he. I should have looked the tires over once I felt that weird we're hitting a pothole feeling. However, now that the new guy at work has a scooter (chinese burgman/silverwing clone) I think they be looking out for each other on maintenance.