IGNORED

Lowes sucks!!

usedcyclesales

I agree with Steamer. Our Lowe's has alot of experienced salespeople. They will take you to what your'e looking for and if they don't know, they call one of the older guys to help find it.

It's always true, "the employee can make or break the reputation of the store."

I give the younger employees a chance, they are learning too.

To the people knocking young kids that don't know their stuff, hello from a young kid who works in retail (not at Lowes but as a head bicycle technician) and i can say that a lot of the young people at my Lowes (wont even step foot in my local home depot) are absolutely clueless, and much older than I am BTW but the older guys are not much more help a lot of the times. If anyone is interested there is a little loophole in Lowes policy it is the :in store pick-up with 20 minute guarantee. http://www.lowes.com/cd_Shipping+and+Delivery_378641591_#BOPUIS I am sure this works well at some locations but at mine the people working at Lowes don't seem to care at all and only go to start looking for what you ordered once you get there. I get there right at the 20 min mark and i usually get what i ordered in my hands about 20-40 min LATER. at this point just go up to the customer service desk and say i thought this was 20 min guaranteed and after a few phone calls they give you $25-50 in cash (last time i bought $20 in lumber for my trailer and walked out with my lumber and $5 bucks extra folding money :cool10:) Now i will say I don't abuse this system, but I don't feel bad when if the employees put in charge of this did their job and worked as hard as I would, not getting an order on the radio and do nothing until the customer arrives, still do nothing and eventually strolls down the isle picks the 5 most warped pieces of lumber (or whatever) and brings it back 30 min late. BTW it is usually the kid doing the work so that is a blow to my "give the kids a chance" argument but I can say there are a few good kids who work in retail involving "technical" work that know their stuff just as well or often even more than some of the old timers (not often but sometimes, I can prove it if you need a $4000 downhill mountain bike fixed)

PS: my little 20 minute guarantee thing is a great way to get a reciprocating saw half off

PPS: My local Lowes is in Haprer Woods, MI so if anyone knows the area you can take a guess at the level of service and employees (just sayin')

The Lowes I work at hire a lot of older people with years of experience to fill key positions. But let me tell you, we have some younger people that really know there stuff. Some of these kids work there butts off. Give them a chance. If that doesn't work....come see one of us old farts.:whistling:

I wasn't out to offend any one , just venting. A very good friend of mine works there. I was a Manager for 2 different furniture retailers and he worked for me for 10 years. He couldn't tell you what a finishing nail is or an opened end wrench, but he has SALES experience and believe me in all retail that's more important, a good sales man will tell some one " don't know the answer to that, but give me a minute and I'll FIND OUT" All I got was never heard of it try that department....Oh and to make matters worse I told my son this morning I posted this . He and his friend were with me and his buddy asked for some LOC-TITE and they said they didn't carry it...........but of course he found some.:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

That's why I nicknamed Lowes and call them slowes. Home depot called the police to me. Had a contractor remodeling my bathroom. Found a vanity at home depot. Brought it home the contractor installed and left. I filled the bowl with water and looked under the sink. There was a small leak in the bowl. Contractor came back and took the vanity out and I took it back to home depot. Exchanged it for another one. Contractor installed. I filled bowl and looked under the sink and it was seeping water. I went to home depot and got another one. They didn't have the color I had been getting so had to settle for something that I didn't like as much. Took the third vanity home. Contractor took vanity out and put back in original box and installed the third one. It didn't leak. Remember that each time I took a vanity back I had my home depot receipt and gave it to them. Saturday morning I take the vanity that leaked back to store. The clerk at returns said the vanity wasn't scanning on my receipt so they couldn't take it back. I told her that wasn't my problem and she better get someone over here now or there was going to be a problem. Another clerk came over and said same thing but because it didn't scan they would only give me an in store credit. I told her I didn't want an in store credit I wanted the charge put back on my credit card and there was a strong possiblity I would never be back. I then asked for manager. The assistant manager came over and said I would have to call the manufacturer and get them to give me an adjustment. I told him I didn't buy it from the manufacturer I bought it from home depot and home depot need to do what is right. The manager smarted off at me and I lost it. I slammed my hand down on the counter and told him this was the poorest excuse for customer service I had ever experienced. I yelled so loud two other employees came over like they were going to protect the manager. I yelled that I had a business and if I treated my customers the way they were treating me I wouldn't be in business long. The manager looked at the clerk and said call 911 and get him out of here. I left and a customer followed me out to my car and said you're pretty upset aren't you. I said yes and I don't need to get this upset. He said I heard it all and what they did wasn't right. Long story short I called home depots home office and got the presidents secretary on the phone and told her what happened. She said, "Oh my god" and to fax her my receipt and a receipt for what I paid the contractor and they would reimburse me for his charge also. It's amazing the people in retail that don't understand why they have a job. The customer.

Sorry if it seemed I was cutting on the big box store types. But even Best Buy and the like are simular. If you want to know about the next best super widgit to come along, the kid there can tell you about it. Its just how things have evolved so to speak, but the customer service and care we older more experienced folks are use to are probably gone. Next fun thing to do is let them get your stuff all rung up on the computer, hand them say a $20 for $16.47 then hand them the .02c. SMoke will probably come rolling out of their ears.

For those whom do not or have not heard of a P clamp;

A "P" clamp is just what it says, a clamp shaped as a "P" like this one at J&P Cycles in chrome for around $9.00. The extended strap end allows mounting where ever.

[ATTACH]74086[/ATTACH]

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Oooh a pipe hanger...... Been in piping trades 30 years, you had me.:confused:

Couple years ago I was shopping for a drill press ... Home Depot had them advertised on sale and in the store was a sign with the product that it included the vise (a $35 value). I bought it on that basis, got it home and unpacked and .... no vise!

Went back to the store, took a pic of the sign with my cell phone and asked a clerk where the vise was. He didn't know ... called a supervisor over ... was then told that was a mistake, there wasn't supposed to be a vise, and took the sign away.

Right! ... you ain't pullin this one on me I thought!

So I said, well, you had a sign that said it included a vise and I took a pic of that sign so, I would like to have my vise. After much persistence all the way up to the manager, they didn't have any in the store but got ahold of the supplier, explained the situation, and in about 3 weeks I got my vise.

I guess part of my point here is that the clerk, the supervisor, and even the store manager tried to "shuffle me off". Somebody there screwed up by posting that sign but they weren't about to own their screw up and look after me the way they should have.

Funny thing is, I've never had a need to use that vise yet! :rotf:

• 9 months later...
For those whom do not or have not heard of a P clamp;

A "P" clamp is just what it says, a clamp shaped as a "P" like this one at J&P Cycles in chrome for around $9.00. The extended strap end allows mounting where ever.

[ATTACH]74086[/ATTACH]

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

I will say one thing for lowes, they will give a VET a 10% off discount every time. Home depot will only give a discount to service related VET. Now I may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but I am not a butter knife. Some one tell me please how do you get to be a VET if you where not in the ARMED SERVICES. I also know for a fact that Lowes is involved in the Wounded Warrior Project and Habitat for Humanity and supports local projects in there area. I built Nursing Homes for a living and my hat is off to those who help others. Another small info most of your auto parts stores will give a VET a discount also. I know it is hard sometimes when people have no clue as to what they should know in there dept. GOD BLESS AND HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS, Jim

It isnt just the big box stores......I used to work in a manufacturing plant, and was a team leader in the fab dept. I oversaw 17 workers, and with it being a relatively new company at the time the employee turnover was fairly high. I was amazed at how many people cant read a tape measure......unbelievable, and I had to train these guys. It was a requirement as far as the job description. But the company needed workers, so they hired these guys anyway. So the solution for this was to buy an easy read tape measure. The ones with the fractions printed right on the tape........It wasnt just the young kids either. One of these guys quit after about a year and I saw him awhile later. Guess what he was doing, yup he was a self employed carpenter.......

After being retired for 1 1/2 years, I decided to find a part time gig to fill my time. For the past year I have worked at Lowes part time. It really is a great place to work for retirees wanting a flexible schedule. But it is true what some posted about the younger kids and the turn over rate. I never considered myself an expert at anything regarding home improvement, but have over time done many electrical, plumbing and construction projects around the house. But that simple experience allows me to offer basic help to a lot of folks. I am amazed at the kids who work here that know absolutely nearly zero about home improvement.

So next time you are at the big box places... look for the gray hairs. :backinmyday: :)

Yup!! I definitely make use of the 10%!! I also found out AARP sometimes beats that with 15% at restaurants etc!

Been spending a LOT of money at Lowes this year to the point they know me by name and treat me like royalty at the local branch. I agree though some of the employees don't know a part of their anatomy from a hole in the ground...

I must say Lowe's and Home Depot have always been good to me. And no I don't expect anyone to remember every part and piece on those shelves. But sometimes they come pretty close. Nor do I expect them to know all of the pieces it takes to manufacture all of their products. Let alone have a working knowledge of all the things they don't have. Lets get real. All things considered they do a pretty darned good job. And on top of that they at least try to help.

Mike

I have gotten pretty picky about asking for my military discount. Now if its a couple bucks I aint. But WE just bought a refrigerator and you can bet the farm I used it on that. For the most part the folks working there know thier stuff pretty well. I kind of like the "self serv" way of doing things. But there are times I definatly need to talk to someone that has experience. Thank goodness my HD has a guy in electrical that is a former contrator and keeps me from doing something that would burn down the house.

The parts store kids still floor me. If they cant look it up on a computer the world grinds to a hault. Got one fellow at Autozone. He sees me now and asks "what you working on today" I tell him and then he will say something like "are the parts your loking for fit that or something else?" :rotf:I went in looking for one of the replacment filters listed here that fit the RSV. Gave him the part number, so around we go whats it fit, what year yada yada. Finnaly he finds it on the shelf. I told him it was for the RSV and he says we dont carry motorcycle parts. Then he finds the filter. I said yes you do and you didnt even know it. Man its fun to be a PIA sometimes.

I will say one thing for lowes, they will give a VET a 10% off discount every time. Home depot will only give a discount to service related VET. Now I may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but I am not a butter knife. Some one tell me please how do you get to be a VET if you where not in the ARMED SERVICES. I also know for a fact that Lowes is involved in the Wounded Warrior Project and Habitat for Humanity and supports local projects in there area. I built Nursing Homes for a living and my hat is off to those who help others. Another small info most of your auto parts stores will give a VET a discount also. I know it is hard sometimes when people have no clue as to what they should know in there dept. GOD BLESS AND HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS, Jim

Lowe's Gives Vets. Discount without hassle. home depotheads want to give it only on certain days and take 20 minutes to clear it then. I go to Lowe's for this reason.

Actually, Lowes policy gives all Vets 10% off on three days per year, Memorial Day, Veterans Day and one more (forgot which, think 4th of July).

So, that's for 4 year vets like me.

They give 10% for active military and retired,, card carrying vets every day.

But if you carry your DD214 you may talk someone into it.

But I just made a $2000+ purchase from them using a 10% coupon from the post office.

Go by any post office and ask for a change of address packet. It includes a 10% coupon form Lowes. You go on-line to Lowes and apply for the moving discount.

Okay, white lie time,,, you give moving info. In 4-5 days they will email you a 10% coupon. :whistling: Spends fine. (But can't be used with any other discounts like their credit card 5%)

As far as good help,,, get familiar with the employees and you will find a few really good ones. But you can always count on the guys at ACE.

Mike G

Like all big stores, you get what you should have expected. Service and knowledge are not what they are noted for, but huge selection and lower prices are. When I need service and knowledge, I go to the internet or better yet, a full service store that specializes in what I want. I am lucky to have two great hardware stores within six mile of my home, and a TSC store that I buy from.

:farmer:

I have the same problem AT OUR LOCAL HARDWARE !!! They hire high school kids that do not know their a$$ from a hole in the ground for cheap labor, then charge a ridiculous price for their goods. The ONLY time I go there is if I need a bolt for something I am working on. Otherwise I stop off at Home Depot Or Lowes on my way home from work. I actually would love to see this hardware go out of business.

I have a Home Depot in town here. Went in to get some plumbing fittings that I needed to custom fit something. Was sure it was going to be a little difficult making this happen. So I'm wandering around the plumbing section trying to figure out what would work. Up comes this 20 something cute young lady and says to me "Can I help you?" As my eyes roll to the back of my head I'm thinking "Yah Right" I say sure. Here is what I'm trying to do. She blew me away. "Oh" she says.. " You need this and this and this" Within seconds. Could have picked my jaw up off the floor. Turns out the Home Hardware trains their people really well and this young woman is the head of the plumbing department.. Been there a number of times for different things and they ALWAYS know where to find what I'm looking for.. Guess I'm just very lucky.

On a side note a BIG Canadian Tire moved into town a few years ago and we were worried about the Home Hardware.. not to worry they are doing GREAT.. Even did a large expansion etc..

I wonder why? :-)

We have Canada's largest Canadian Tire, a Lowes, and Home Depot all within 5 min of each other.

Lowes is the worst for having knowledgeable staff but when they don't have what I want (which is often) HD has it.

Our HD has a lot of retired tradesmen on staff but you have to go in the day....evenings are usually the inexperienced younger ones.

Canadian Tire is the worst for packaging! Almost everything seems to be packaged.

They will put 2 screws in a package and charge you $.99