IGNORED

Car ?...91 Acura Legend

GolfVenture

I have a 91 Acura Legend that has 223K miles. It is in good mechanicial condition. When something breaks it gets fixed. In the last year about once a month or every 2 months, after the vehicle has been driven, and the engine warmed up. After a brief stop at a store, the engine turns over strong but does not start. If I wait about 3 minutes, then the engine starts right up and off I go...

Any thoughts? Besides getting a another vehicle.

Sounds a bit like the fuel pressure regulator valve or the check valve in the fuel pump may be sticking on occasion. The next time it does this slowly cycle the key a few times to give the fuel pump a chance to build pressure. Then see if it starts.

Mike

Sounds a bit like the fuel pressure regulator valve or the check valve in the fuel pump may be sticking on occasion. The next time it does this slowly cycle the key a few times to give the fuel pump a chance to build pressure. Then see if it starts.

Mike

Hi Mike: Actually when it does not start up, I normally immediately try the starter a few times. Only after sitting a couple of minutes then it starts up.

To me it sounds like you have a fuel pump getting ready to fail. If I remember correctly, that vehicle has a two stage pump. A high pressure cycle for priming the delivery system and then a low pressure cycle to maintain the pressure.

But I'm probably wrong.

:15_8_211[1]:

dont know about the 2 stage but i believe Blackowl is right sounds like the fuel pump is going out and if im not mistaken you can get to the pump from inside the car instead of having to drop the tank

That would be my guess too. 'Specially if it's one of those high pressure type located inside the fuel tank.....

Brian, what MikeWa was suggesting is to "cycle" the ignition key. That means to turn the key to the ON position, but not to the cranking position, then turn the key back off.

If you do this a few times, it may...may...help prime the fuel pump.

Here is a old tech tip, from an old tech, that most of you youngsters don't know about...

I taught my wife this neat little tip, and she follows it every time. I also use this tip on any motorcycle I have that has a fuel pump...

Are you ready to learn???

Okay, anytime you go out to your car, your motorcycle (with a fuel pump),, and you get ready to start the vehicle (I do not care if it is a cold engine or a warm engine), you should turn the ignition key to the ON position...allow the fuel pump to prime the system and build up fuel pressure, and AFTER the fuel pump is done buzzing (usually about 2 to 3 seconds), then you can turn the key further to the starting, or cranking position. On your motorcycles, this would be when you would hit the start button.

This may sound silly to a lot of you, but...so many time people are trying to crank their cars or bikes over, yet the fuel pump has not had the few seconds needed to prime the system. It only takes a few seconds, and 93.14159 % of the time you can HEAR the fuel pump buzz, while it is priming the system. Once that buzz has stopped, then start the vehicle.

If you try to start the vehicle before the fuel system is primed, then the starter has to crank that much longer, and the engine does not start up as smoothly, or run as smoothly, until the fuel system gets enough fuel pressure. So, you are cranking the starter longer, using up those CCA (cold cranking amps) in the battery, dragging an engine through the start-up process longer, and...any mechanic worth their salt will tell you that one of the biggest wear factors on an internal combustion engine is when you are starting the engine. You have not built up Oil Pressure yet, so you are basically cranking over DRY cylinder walls.

Hey...just try this. Turn the key to the ON position...wait for the fuel pump to stop buzzing, and then turn the key to crank the engine.

We do this on every vehicle we own, and it makes a difference.

I agree that it is probably the fuel pump...but it could actually be as simple as the fuel filter if you haven't changed it in a while. I had a Ford truck that did almost the same thing and it was the filter. It seems that it would run OK for a few minutes, long enough to get to the store or something and that was likely due to the gas that was already in the fuel lines and etc. past the filter. Then the filter would plug enough to prevent gas from getting through but after sitting a few minutes, I guess the gunk in the filter would soften or something and allow enough gas to get flowing that it would run again. Changed the fuel filter and never had another problem. Maybe a long shot but worth checking.

Brian, what MikeWa was suggesting is to "cycle" the ignition key. That means to turn the key to the ON position, but not to the cranking position, then turn the key back off.

If you do this a few times, it may...may...help prime the fuel pump.

Here is a old tech tip, from an old tech, that most of you youngsters don't know about...

I taught my wife this neat little tip, and she follows it every time. I also use this tip on any motorcycle I have that has a fuel pump...

Are you ready to learn???

Okay, anytime you go out to your car, your motorcycle (with a fuel pump),, and you get ready to start the vehicle (I do not care if it is a cold engine or a warm engine), you should turn the ignition key to the ON position...allow the fuel pump to prime the system and build up fuel pressure, and AFTER the fuel pump is done buzzing (usually about 2 to 3 seconds), then you can turn the key further to the starting, or cranking position. On your motorcycles, this would be when you would hit the start button.

This may sound silly to a lot of you, but...so many time people are trying to crank their cars or bikes over, yet the fuel pump has not had the few seconds needed to prime the system. It only takes a few seconds, and 93.14159 % of the time you can HEAR the fuel pump buzz, while it is priming the system. Once that buzz has stopped, then start the vehicle.

If you try to start the vehicle before the fuel system is primed, then the starter has to crank that much longer, and the engine does not start up as smoothly, or run as smoothly, until the fuel system gets enough fuel pressure. So, you are cranking the starter longer, using up those CCA (cold cranking amps) in the battery, dragging an engine through the start-up process longer, and...any mechanic worth their salt will tell you that one of the biggest wear factors on an internal combustion engine is when you are starting the engine. You have not built up Oil Pressure yet, so you are basically cranking over DRY cylinder walls.

Hey...just try this. Turn the key to the ON position...wait for the fuel pump to stop buzzing, and then turn the key to crank the engine.

We do this on every vehicle we own, and it makes a difference.

Thanks Miles...I needed that kind of explaination...I'll try it the next time it occurs.

Brian

The fuel pump on your car has a timer built into the ignition. It will only allow the pump to run for a couple of seconds. Then it will cycle off whether pressure is built up or not. Normally this is ok because there is some residual pressure in the fuel lines. If the pump or regulator check valves are leaking there will be no residual pressure in the lines. In that case the cycle time will be to short. Full pressure will not be built. And the car will not start. If that happens cycle the key a few times without cranking. Allow a few seconds between cycles for the pump electronics to reset. This should help the pump pressurize the system. Then try to start it. If this works it may be pump time.

Mike

Brian

Your fuel filter could be pluged as well but i think your fuel filter is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump so you will still have to change the pump out and i agree with mike and miles i do this to my vehicles as well and when the pump is on its way out i will cycle the key on and off a couple of times to help build pressure untill it does go out then change it but i have to drop the 40 gallon tank and it usually happens when its full

• 2 months later...

ok, the Legend acted up again. I dropped my wife off at the entrance of the mall, then went to find a parking stall, and I waited for her in the car but I parked a ways away.

A few minutes later I saw a car pull out near the entrance and I wanted to move the car closer to the entrance. So I tried the starter. The engine cranked over just fine but did not start. I happen to leave the key in the on position and tried the starter a couple more times. No luck. So I sat with the key still in the on position listening to the radio for a few more minutes. I noticed all the dash warning lights, then I heard a definative click then the check engine light went off. So I tried the starter and the Legend started right up and so I moved the car to that open stall.

I shut the engine off, then turned the key back on and I noticed the Check Engine light was off. So I tried the starter and it fired right up.

I shut it off and waited a few minutes then turned the key on and the check engine light was on again. And again the engine would not start.

So I left the key on and soon I heard a definitive click and the check engine light went off and the engine started right up.

Any Ideas...Besides takening the car in for repaires...