IGNORED

Need help on value.

star4772

Well as you all know I finally made it to Benson AZ and now really retired. I went and looked at my uncles 2004 midnight venture it has 2600 miles yes thats right 2600 miles. However it is a little weather beaten but not to the point that a day's work of cleaning and polishing wont take care of. It fired right up on first push of the start button. I think a paint job would be in order cuz the clear coat is peeling from the AZ heat and sun.

I would most likely paint it and would like to do it in a pearl white always loved that color.

The question is how much should I be paying for this bike and also considering a good deal from uncle. What you all think??

Joe

Rubber stuff probably worth a good look see, just as precaution. Not that I think anything is bad. I have seen AZ or Fla cars say 2yr old that sit in the sun look like a blow torch has been held to them. Kills the clear coat as well as the black plastic stuff. My BIL has a Avalance (one of them sort of 4 door pick up sort things) that the topper and fender wells are the black plastic. His looked pretty good 3yr after he boutgh it, a neighbor of his had one a year newer and the balck plastic stuff was gray.

Hows the seats, floorboards, grips that sort of stuff.

Rubber stuff probably worth a good look see, just as precaution. Not that I think anything is bad. I have seen AZ or Fla cars say 2yr old that sit in the sun look like a blow torch has been held to them. Kills the clear coat as well as the black plastic stuff. My BIL has a Avalance (one of them sort of 4 door pick up sort things) that the topper and fender wells are the black plastic. His looked pretty good 3yr after he boutgh it, a neighbor of his had one a year newer and the balck plastic stuff was gray.

Hows the seats, floorboards, grips that sort of stuff.

Seats and all other stuff looks good. Like I said started up first crank and no sound of any runny problems. The bike has been covered most of the time and under an awning,the paint's not fade at all but the clear coat is peeling. He thinks its from the cover and the high winds flapping the cover around on it.

Joe

the tires will have dates on em.

if Kbb is $5400 "trade in", do your really think your going to get it for half of that?

If he sells it on his own, he could easily get $6K with 2600 miles...thats starting at $6400 and coming down a litle for the paint and tires?

I could be wrong, perhaps your his favorite nephew?:confused24:

Personally i wouldn't take the chance on insulting him... he's the seller, let him quote the price. That way there won't be any hard feelings.

If he won't put a price on it, have him go to a dealership and see what they will offer???

Edited by CaptainJoe

Ahhh! I was ass u me'ing that 3K was what your uncle offered it to you for. As mentioned, $5400 is KBB trade in value, retail is more, but deduct for what needs to be fixed to make ready to roll which will definately include new tires, and complete fluids flush and a good detailing...

the tires will have dates on em.

if Kbb is $5400 "trade in", do your really think your going to get it for half of that?

If he sells it on his own, he could easily get $6K with 2600 miles...thats starting at $6400 and coming down a litle for the paint and tires?

I could be wrong, perhaps your his favorite nephew?:confused24:

Personally i wouldn't take the chance on insulting him... he's the seller, let him quote the price. That way there won't be any hard feelings.

If he won't put a price on it, have him go to a dealership and see what they will offer???

This is some VERY good advice, especially since it appears you will be around your Uncle a lot more now. There's nothing harder to endure than hurt feelings with a family member.

Joe I would drive there to pick it up for 3000. I sold mine for 12,ooo last March with 22,000 miles

I bet anyone would for $3000 but talking to him more I think he is going to hit me at about 5K so deduct for new tires and a good detail clean up I'm thinking maybe about $4500 would be a steal. Will see what happens,he is not wanting to part with it just yet even though he cant ride it. His wife wants him to sell and be done with it.

Will see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Joe

I bet anyone would for $3000 but talking to him more I think he is going to hit me at about 5K so deduct for new tires and a good detail clean up I'm thinking maybe about $4500 would be a steal. Will see what happens,he is not wanting to part with it just yet even though he cant ride it. His wife wants him to sell and be done with it.

Will see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Joe

That is still a steal at 5000 without even seeing it. Joe Im glad you waited so long to find another bike. haha . It must be Summer there already.

In the past 2 years I've bought and sold 20 motorcycles (not a dealer, kind of a hobby with profit) 4 Ventures 1999, 2000, 2003, 2001 2 tour deluxe 2007,2005 and 3 royal Stars 1996,and 2 1997 all Florida bikes 2 I have now 1997 Royal Star that was left outside from Pompano Beach, and a 2005 Tour deluxe from Panama city Beach . I've yet to see a clear coat peel on any of them as a matter of fact the paint is the normally the BEST thing about them. So my first doubt about the bike would be to the mileage. Verify it. Check the brake pads they should be damn near new. All the hoses underneath the gas tank should be fine , I mean think about it the heat shouldn't effect them at all, engine heat doesn't and they're under neath in the shade the of bike....... The bike should have the original tires on it, check the date on the tires, check the wear on the handle grips rear brake pedal shifter, all switches they should all be in new condition . What should show signs of age are the brake and clutch reservoirs they're aluminum and the first thing to corrode. as far as pricing I won't even guess, use NADA and KBB to get an IDEA of what it's worth and believe me nothing is bringing top price and I mean NOTHING and USE YOUR HEAD not YOUR HEART when buying. A good deal on something is what YOU FEEL is fair not what some one else thinks, and look at the bike add up everything you're gonna do to it total it and then ask your self if you saw that bike with all the ad ons and new paint would you have paid that much for it originally. I just bought a 2005 Tour deluxe it's a 9 out of 10 I have receipts from original owner who spent in 2005 $1300 in chrome ad ons the bike has 18K miles new whitewalls and I paid $3500 NADA says $6800 and KBB TRADE IN is $4600 and it's got $1300 in chrome extras SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!! AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

That is still a steal at 5000 without even seeing it. Joe Im glad you waited so long to find another bike. haha . It must be Summer there already.

LOL been riding weather since I got here. People around here say you ride 10 months out of the year and sometimes even all year. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

In the past 2 years I've bought and sold 20 motorcycles (not a dealer, kind of a hobby with profit) 4 Ventures 1999, 2000, 2003, 2001 2 tour deluxe 2007,2005 and 3 royal Stars 1996,and 2 1997 all Florida bikes 2 I have now 1997 Royal Star that was left outside from Pompano Beach, and a 2005 Tour deluxe from Panama city Beach . I've yet to see a clear coat peel on any of them as a matter of fact the paint is the normally the BEST thing about them. So my first doubt about the bike would be to the mileage. Verify it. Check the brake pads they should be damn near new. All the hoses underneath the gas tank should be fine , I mean think about it the heat shouldn't effect them at all, engine heat doesn't and they're under neath in the shade the of bike....... The bike should have the original tires on it, check the date on the tires, check the wear on the handle grips rear brake pedal shifter, all switches they should all be in new condition . What should show signs of age are the brake and clutch reservoirs they're aluminum and the first thing to corrode. as far as pricing I won't even guess, use NADA and KBB to get an IDEA of what it's worth and believe me nothing is bringing top price and I mean NOTHING and USE YOUR HEAD not YOUR HEART when buying. A good deal on something is what YOU FEEL is fair not what some one else thinks, and look at the bike add up everything you're gonna do to it total it and then ask your self if you saw that bike with all the ad ons and new paint would you have paid that much for it originally. I just bought a 2005 Tour deluxe it's a 9 out of 10 I have receipts from original owner who spent in 2005 $1300 in chrome ad ons the bike has 18K miles new whitewalls and I paid $3500 NADA says $6800 and KBB TRADE IN is $4600 and it's got $1300 in chrome extras SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!! AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the information. I will take it all in,I do know tires are original and so is the miliage.