IGNORED

Lane Splitting...

Owen

Guest tx2sturgis

Do you need more proof than a CHP officer who lane splits when on his personal Kawasaki Concours?

Sgt. Mark Pope, statewide motorcycle safety coordinator for the CHP helped with the guidelines.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Motorcycle-lane-splitting-rules-unveiled-4270272.php

The next bike that splits beside you could be an off-duty CHP officer! :happy34:

From the article:

Pope isn't just an enforcer - he's also a rider who often lane-splits on his Kawasaki Concours C14 while commuting in Sacramento.

He realizes that some car drivers see lane-splitters as borderline cheaters cutting ahead of others, but he says the practice is actually safer for motorcyclists than politely staying in line in a lane.

Motorcyclists "are not trying to be obnoxious or rude" when they lane-split, Pope said. "They don't have air bags or crash cages, so they're trying to protect themselves. What we see more often than motorcyclists being involved in lane-splitting accidents is we see motorcyclists running into the backs of cars."

I dont run into the backs of cars, but I DO worry about being run into from behind. It happens. Edited by tx2sturgis

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Just because he is a idiot doesn't mean I have to be.

Well I dont jump out of perfectly good airplanes either.

So its good to be living in America where we have a choice.

:happy34:

Jumping out of planes is a blast!!! Usually not dodging other planes on the way down!! LOL

You are right Brian. Good thing we have choices. I just can never see me lane splitting. We get enough bad press without asking for more and every body knows about those folks on the west coast.LOL

I've watched this thread for many days now and have resisted saying anything HOPING that it would stop but I guess it's not going to. I have no problem with folks having differing opinions on this practice but WHY the need for all the name calling. If it is legal and you feel that you can do it safely and desire to do so, then do it. If you feel that it cannot be done safely then don't do it. There is no reason to call people who have a different opinion that you names though.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I've watched this thread for many days now and have resisted saying anything HOPING that it would stop but I guess it's not going to. I have no problem with folks having differing opinions on this practice but WHY the need for all the name calling. If it is legal and you feel that you can do it safely and desire to do so, then do it. If you feel that it cannot be done safely then don't do it. There is no reason to call people who have a different opinion that you names though.

:sign yeah that:

Guest tx2sturgis
but WHY the need for all the name calling.

Doesnt bother me at all...I've been riding dirt and street for 45 years and I've been called stupid just for riding motorcycles.

I've noticed that name calling is much more prevalent on the net than it is in person. Face to face, people tend to be a bit better behaved..(usually) ....its just so easy to type things that a person wouldnt say face to face. No hard feelings here at all. Those words are just pixels on a screen.

:smash2:

My main point was that the CHP is showing some very common sense, a rarity for any government body, much less one in California.

No one, especially me, is recommending that a rider SHOULD lane split...but if its done with skill, experience, and alertness, on the right kind of bike, I see nothing wrong with it.

I'll be nice and go back to posting about my Ural adventures in the snow today.

:cool10:

My first trip to Cal was early this year I didn't mind it when we were in heavy traffic and the bikes rolled by at a slow pace. but dang when I was rolling a good 70 plus in moderate traffic and someone shoots in between you and another car at much over the speed limit I almost had a heart attack and jumped a lane, sorry to the guy I almost took out just not used to the craziness :scared:

My first trip to Cal was early this year I didn't mind it when we were in heavy traffic and the bikes rolled by at a slow pace. but dang when I was rolling a good 70 plus in moderate traffic and someone shoots in between you and another car at much over the speed limit I almost had a heart attack and jumped a lane, sorry to the guy I almost took out just not used to the craziness :scared:

Of course that is the illegal, and unsafe type of late splitting that needs to be stopped. Even though that stuff is actually legal some places.

:bluesbrother:

• 7 months later...

I think the key here, as with anything on a bike, is if you don't fell it's safe or not something you want to do then don't. If you do then go ahead. Just as many people here would never think of jumping a bike 50' thru the air landing on the rear wheel some of us enjoy that sort of thing. To each his own and never ride beyond your abilities,senses or feelings no matter what the law says or doesn't say.

I think the key here, as with anything on a bike, is if you don't fell it's safe or not something you want to do then don't. If you do then go ahead. Just as many people here would never think of jumping a bike 50' thru the air landing on the rear wheel some of us enjoy that sort of thing. To each his own and never ride beyond your abilities,senses or feelings no matter what the law says or doesn't say.

Well Said!! Goes with my I ain't gonna do it and ya cain't make me!!:whistling:

Did it one time when I and a buddy was coming back from a trip to L.A. area. The traffic was stopped, for almost 15 miles ahead, and we where both on yamaha raiders. Now I have a venture that is water cooled, but you have to remember the raider is air cooled and the temp was 105 degrees. You can't just sit there on a air cooled bike, I have seen many a Harley burn up in those conditions. so we both looked at each other didn't really want to do it but started out at 20 to 25 mpg, and most drivers saw us coming and would move over. Wouldn't ever do it again real scarey!!

Exactly if you don't want to split ever again you don't have to. I have an RSV and two Saturdays in a row I split up 101 heading to Santa Barbara. There are only a few spots where the lanes are too narrow otherwise I had my own lane and got to Santa Barbara probably an hour earlier than waiting in the traffic.

The RSV does fit but one certainly has to have low speed control down pat.....and my wife is not allowed to wiggle without asking permission :no-no-no:

I don't know why so many out side of CA find the safe practice of lane splitting so offensive.

VentureFar...