IGNORED

Lane Splitting...

Owen

math is not my thing as i never did the school thing can some one figure out the energy of a bike striking an object at selected speeds like one would do with a bullet fired from a gun . i think it would scare the socks off us .all that befor hitting the ground ugh.:shock3:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan I understand where you're coming from, but let me run this scenerio by you. You're wearing boots, jacket, helmet, and in heavy stop and go traffic. The temp is 100+, the engine is runing hot and the fan has kicked in. Would you or wouldn't you lane split if there was enough room between vehicles??? :whistling:

NO!! Been there done that. I can always pull over and let it cool down. Not to say I can't change my mind one of these days but I can't see it happening. This has always been my policy andI don't think I'll change. Cagers think enough bad thoughts about us. I'll stand toe to toe with anybody thats wants but bouncing off 4,000 lb steel objects I'm just not very good at. I keep coming out on the bad end of those. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong??:think:

Well I've done a fair bit of lane splitting in my time, in California when I'm there since people are aware of the practice, but I'd have to agree that if you don't feel like it don't do it. I've run slowly down the shoulder on the TC parking lot heading into Vancouver and never had a real problem. I AM hyper aware when I'm doing these things and I'm only risking me. I won't do it with a passenger as I don't feel that I should put someone else at risk, but I do see people doing it if they are comfortable with the risk level, OK. I ALWAYS wear a helmet, doesn't matter what the law is, it's my melon and I like it just as ugly as it is, I don't need to be no uglier LOL. To me though, it's all choices.

Just my $0.02

:bluesbrother:

Rode for over 20 years on the California parking lots AKA freeways. Lane split all the time, but only in stopped or creeping traffic. Back when I was younger and indestructible, a helmet was unheard of until when lane splitting on the 405 a beast of a Doberman jumped across the bed of the pickup on my left and nearly took my face and ear off. Luckily, only got a head full of dog slobber and some brown skivvies out of the incident. Another time a panel van on my right decided to change lanes when I was coming alongside and I lost a mirror and I left handgrip scrapes along his side. Both close calls, but I would continue to lane split under the right conditions. Of course that was on two wheels, not on a trike..

Another thing I will not do, ride down the shoulder. Not because of cars/trucks swerving over, but because of debris. I sit in traffic daily on I-696 west from Groesbeck to I-96 and I see that's where all the broken headlight/tail lights, wood,glass etc is at. Considering I do not carry a spare on the RSV, I stay off of that too!

When school lets out we have a bunch of bikes heading out into Orlando traffic. Some of them drive in ways that almost make me hate bikers. One guy in particular has a habit when coming to a red light with traffic in front of him of stopping briefly, then slowly lane splitting his way up and cutting into the front of the line if possible, but at least in front of the vehicle he just passed. Of course I have also had idiots cut past me (on the right) as I am making a right hand turn.

When school lets out we have a bunch of bikes heading out into Orlando traffic. Some of them drive in ways that almost make me hate bikers. One guy in particular has a habit when coming to a red light with traffic in front of him of stopping briefly, then slowly lane splitting his way up and cutting into the front of the line if possible, but at least in front of the vehicle he just passed. Of course I have also had idiots cut past me (on the right) as I am making a right hand turn.

EXACTLY!!!:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Then I get blasted by a cage that is pissed off at someone else for lane splitting???

Clearly a lot of people on this list are quite happy to declare a practise "unsafe" whether they have ever experienced it or not.

I have been "lane-splitting" since I was 16 years old. That is more years than I care to remember.

It is safe, legal in most places, and sensible.

The only way you guarantee that motorcycles are part of the problems we have with congestion, is by making them take up a place in line with everyone else. The fact that State Legislators are too dumb to recognise that is their fault, not mine. People here are quick to blame government when their pet issue is badly addressed, so why suddenly should they be right about this matter?

A motorist deliberately trying to harm you because he is irritated that you had the nerve to move ahead is a criminal. He is someone who just exhibited road-rage, and attempted to assault you, and it really doesn't matter what you were doing - which was "nothing to him".

I have never had any incident when lane-splitting. Maybe my good luck, as all riding has an element of luck attached ... but maybe also because it teaches you to scan well ahead. To look for opportunities and to pay close attention to the behaviour of vehicles in front of you. Those are good lessons that translate directly into ALL of your riding. Lane-splitting, done appropriately and carefully, makes you a better rider.

It is safe, legal in most places, and sensible.

Being that I am not a practitioner of "lane splitting" I can not address whether it is safe or sensible . Those are conditions which only the individual can assess.

As for being "legal in most places", it would appear that California is the only state which has specifically passed a statute relative to "Lane Splitting."

But if you are of the mind set that anything which is not specifically prohibited is legal, I guess that maybe it is "legal in most places."

As I am not a practitioner of "lane splitting" I can not address whether it is safe or sensible . Those are conditions which only the individual can assess.

As for being "legal in most places", it would appear that California is the only state which has specifically passed a statute relative to "Lane Splitting."

But if you are of the mind set that anything which is not specifically prohibited is legal, I guess that maybe it is "legal in most places."

If you are of the mindset that America is the only place in the world, then you would be correct.

I am more broad-minded than that.

Again I'll stick with my orginal. Not going to do it Can't make me. Make motorcycles look bad. We have enough of that. I've had a couple incidents people cutting in front of me in checkout lines. They only try it Once.

I'm responding to this, because it deserves an answer.

Yes Dan, we know you don't want to lane-split. You ahve said so a number of times. The good news is that it is not compulsory, and no one has yet suggested that it should be. So you are free to make your own decisions.

But the discussion is not about that, it was an article, very well presented, that discussed the merits of this practise in the only State in the Union that officially encourages it. Unless you have substantial experience of driving under those conditions, then you might learn something if you listened to those who do.

In what way does it make motorcycles look bad? In the view of a redneck truck driver? An ignorant politician? I would argue that seeing motocycles slipping carefully through an evening traffic jam would equally make those riders look smart, and advantaged. Why we should be concerned about the views of the frustrated motorist is beyond me. They have not realised that by not taking up their space on the road, you are actually doing them a favor.

Notwithstanding all of that, it is safer to be moving forward than it is to be stationary, and at the mercy of the attentive cars behind you. That's not just my opinion, it is common for bikes to be hit from behind while stopped, and even the tiniest of "fender-benders" can prove fatal to bikers ... esp. if you are exercising your freedom to not wear a helmet too..

Checkout lines are a false equivalence. If someone cuts in a line like that, they are depriving you of your place ... it is the opposite of what lane-splitting accomplishes.

This article was published on the LD Rider Email List about a month ago. There was a very informative and positive discussion on the subject. The legalities were discussed and pointed out, as were the attitudes of other motorists. That list is merciless on folk who opine with few, if any, data points to back up the assertions.

Several folk here have given experienced views. Some have and do adopt this practise, others don't, even in Cali. Few if any have suggested that it is "bad", and those who do say that do not include the California Highway Patrol.

I said it before and I am going to say it again. Lane splitting is dumb, unsafe, irresponsible, arrogant riding. And I said it before and I am going to say it again, if a biker splits a lane and side swipes my cage, I WILL do my damnest to catch them and put an beat down on them like they have never had before. I am a biker and it pi$$e$ me off when a clown zips up right next to me. I am not looking for someone or expecting it. If your in a traffic jam....well just sit your happy a$$ on that bike and wait with everyone else. Your no better than the guy in the cage, you think you are, but your not. I have sat in plenty of 100 degree days on the freeway on my way home, Even if it was legal, I ain't gonna do it. Why????? Because I ain't any better than the person in front of me.

But then again.............this IS just my opinion and you know what they say about those............

I said it before and I am going to say it again. Lane splitting is dumb, unsafe, irresponsible, arrogant riding. And I said it before and I am going to say it again, if a biker splits a lane and side swipes my cage, I WILL do my damnest to catch them and put an beat down on them like they have never had before. I am a biker and it pi$$e$ me off when a clown zips up right next to me. I am not looking for someone or expecting it. If your in a traffic jam....well just sit your happy a$$ on that bike and wait with everyone else. Your no better than the guy in the cage, you think you are, but your not. I have sat in plenty of 100 degree days on the freeway on my way home, Even if it was legal, I ain't gonna do it. Why????? Because I ain't any better than the person in front of me.

But then again.............this IS just my opinion and you know what they say about those............

I Wasn't going to say that but THANK YOU and I will stand firmly behind your right to say so. I stay in enough trouble around here and was trying to avoid it. I've got jumped by plenty that didn't have their facts in order. Have been staying in the corner but screw it. Won't be the 1st place I've been kicked out of and more than likely won't be the last. The only reason I'm here now is I do have friends here. There was a time I had none.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

And you will go to prison. Where everyone who advocates, and practises violence should go.

You should have no place on this forum making threats of violence against motorcyclists ....

Guest tx2sturgis
if a biker splits a lane and side swipes my cage, I WILL do my damnest to catch them and put an beat down on them like they have never had before. .......this IS just my opinion and you know what they say about those............

Wow...road rage, directed against a motorcyclist, and premeditated?

I believe thats the first I've ever seen that on this forum.

Well, no matter. I ride with protection.

:happy34:

OK

A few questions for those totally familiar with the Cali lane splitting laws.

1. If there is contact between a bike and a car, who is responsible?

2. If there was contact will bikers stop to resolve the issue or do they just keep going with the knowledge that no cage can catch them thru the traffic?

3. Do the Cali riders that do practice lane splitting realize that once they leave Cali, lane splitting is no longer legal?

4. Does Cali have traffic lanes that are a litter wider than other places to make more room for splitting?

I have seen way to many times during a big rally where bikes with Cali plates are lane splitting in places that do not allow it. Here drivers are not expecting it, don't know how to deal with it, and resent it so many will try to slam the door shut if they do see it coming. As we all know, the bike will not win. Cali does have a lot of tourists that also are not familiar with the concept of lane splitting.

As for me, If traffic is completely stopped I might consider duck walking the bike thru the parking lot just to get off the road. I would never consider getting in between two moving cages with that little clearance. I will not even be in my own full lane with a cage in the lanes on either side of me. I do not stay next ant cage any longer than it takes to pass or be passed. But that is all my choice.

As a professional driver I am aware of everything around me. I would see the motorcycle splitting lanes anyway because I'm always watching for anything. Around here bicycles can come at you in any lane for example. Not to mention kids on skate boards. I dunno maybe that's why I have 4.5 million accident free miles. I don't sit in traffic on my bike because I don't have to. As stated before a moving target is harder to hit. I dunno these are just my thoughts. I have never and would never scratch a cage on my bike, that might scratch my bike FFS. Of course if i ever did I would stop and speak to the cage driver in question, and if that person would like to get physical with me, I can take care of myself there too.

Ride safe.

:bluesbrother:

Forgot to mention, just because I do it, doesn't mean everyone has to. Do what makes YOU feel safe and comfortable.

Ride free

If a idiot scratches my new car because he can't handle what he is riding he is going to discuss it with me. And if he pulls on me. Sorry.

You got that right. BUT......being they are better than everyone else......we will be stuck in traffic while they ride like a moron and slide up between cars.

Wow...road rage, directed against a motorcyclist, and premeditated?

I believe thats the first I've ever seen that on this forum.

Well, no matter. I ride with protection.

:happy34:

Nope not road rage. Not at all. Actually, it's directed at morons, be they on a motorcycle or be they in a cage. Premeditated............you bet your bippy!