IGNORED

It's the way it has always been done.

SilvrT

So you say "it's the way it has always been done" and you want me to go along with that? Well you need to read the story of the Monkey and the Banana...

Start with a cage containing five monkeys.

Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him.

After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done round here.

And that, my friends, is how company policies are made.

Nows that really hits the nail on the head...

Every time I hear those words ( thats they way we have always done it) it gives me this urning to smack them.

It really hits a never in me to hear people say those words...:no-no-no:

Ah yes my friend. But after decades in the military and every 2-3 years a "new" 2nd Lt comming in and wanting to change the way everything has been done, just because he is "in charge" you need to remember. There are somethings that have been done a certian way for a lengthy time because it just works. I get what your saying though, it dont hurt to ask questions as to "why" it being done the way it is.

Ah yes my friend. But after decades in the military and every 2-3 years a "new" 2nd Lt comming in and wanting to change the way everything has been done, just because he is "in charge" you need to remember. There are somethings that have been done a certian way for a lengthy time because it just works. I get what your saying though, it dont hurt to ask questions as to "why" it being done the way it is.

I've been in a management position several times over the years and I learned very early that the worst thing a "new" manager can do is to start changing things right off the bat. One has to learn how the various policies, procedures, and processes work and why they work (or don't work) first.

At a company I was employed at for a number of years, one could expect policy changes every time a new management team was put in place, which was roughly every 2 years.

They would get busy writing new policy and Operations manuals to implement the changes. I had about 5 sets of OPS manuals dating back over 10 years. Every two or three changes the OPS manual would be almost identical to a predecessor.

After all, no manager ever got a bonus from saying everything is running well.

Yah! Where I worked the place was "evolving" to the point where quality was going down the drain as well as pride in workmanship, not to mention the knowledge base! I'm sooooo glad this old dinosaur retired...

That statement sounds just like the place I work at. Bad thing is I have two more years to work before I can retire.:crying::crying::crying:

SilverT your exactly right. But some feel they have to put their "stamp" on it. A couple times we got prior enlisted guys that had got their commishon. Those guys were usualy better about that.

Randy had that happen a few times too. The more things change the more they stay the same. LOL