IGNORED

Gauge Pod for 2nd Gen

kantornado

I know I'm probaby beating a dead horse but I would sure like to find a

Gauge Pod for my Black Beauty. Hopefully someone may have one to sell or

Maybe someone can make one who has access to a CNC, If I had access

I would make me some and sell um. So

I'm just checking...............Ron

Are you looking for the pod that was made by Ponch? I think there may be a few around. The gauges are 1 1/2" (mini gauges), and are available from Auto Zone and others.

:farmer:

I know I'm probaby beating a dead horse but I would sure like to find a

Gauge Pod for my Black Beauty. Hopefully someone may have one to sell or

Maybe someone can make one who has access to a CNC, If I had access

I would make me some and sell um. So

I'm just checking...............Ron

I made a guage pod and replaced my cassette. Designed in Cimatron, programmed in WorkNc and cut on a pos Sharnoa cnc. I thought about making and selling them but when you factor in the cost of material, time and anodizing, it's just not worth it. I would have had to sell them for about $175 each with no guages. I also made a tach housing. Both look sweet, but not worth my time to mass produce. Plus, I changed jobs and no longer have the access to the equiptment that I used to.

Thank you but thats not what Im looking for. I used to have a picture

of it but I lost it when my computer crashed. It fits on the gas tank

inplace of the original pod and holds a tachometer and another gauge.

Thanks again I know someone has one they may want to get rid of....Ron:cool10:

Thank you but thats not what Im looking for. I used to have a picture

of it but I lost it when my computer crashed. It fits on the gas tank

inplace of the original pod and holds a tachometer and another gauge.

Thanks again I know someone has one they may want to get rid of....Ron:cool10:

OK you are looking for the Tripmasters guage pod. I have one on my bike,very hard to find now. If you go on The Venturers.org site and ask someone may have one.:080402gudl_prv:

There are some pics of one in my profile. I contacted "Tripmasters" Roberts wife after he passed and she referred me to his son. He informed me that all of the patents that Robert designed for the Venture were sold. He would not give me the the name of the buyer, but said it was one of the larger accessory suppliers.

This was about 8 or 9 years ago and to date I haven't seen any of them on the market. Who knows, maybe the small number of Ventures sold in the overall picture made the production numbers non profitable.

They are hard to come by. The company that I work for does vacuum forming and could easily do those but without the patent, I wouldn't pursue it. I had one but ended up going with Ponches gauge plate and sold the one I had to Condor. At one time, I had heard that somebody on the Venturers site had bought the patents and the remains of the inventory but as said, that was years ago.

They are hard to come by. The company that I work for does vacuum forming and could easily do those but without the patent, I wouldn't pursue it. I had one but ended up going with Ponches gauge plate and sold the one I had to Condor. At one time, I had heard that somebody on the Venturers site had bought the patents and the remains of the inventory but as said, that was years ago.

I've contacted Brent from the Venturers and have permission to reproduce the one I bought from you last year. So the patent isn't a problem. The only stipulation would be to offer them to their members at the same price. The other problem is I've been a little under the weather, plus lazy, and haven't pursued it. I did just received an email from a Chinese injection molding company, and have just started giving production some thought again.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they were vacuum formed and not injection molded. Injection molding is a LOT more expensive initially than vacuum forming due to the tooling costs. We do both at my company and due to the tooling costs, most custom items are vacuum formed. About the only time we do custom injection molding is when the quantities are 1,000 or more. Then you can prorate the tooling costs across each piece and it starts to be cost effective.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they were vacuum formed and not injection molded. Injection molding is a LOT more expensive initially than vacuum forming due to the tooling costs. We do both at my company and due to the tooling costs, most custom items are vacuum formed. About the only time we do custom injection molding is when the quantities are 1,000 or more. Then you can prorate the tooling costs across each piece and it starts to be cost effective.

Hard to tell Don, but you're probably right. This Chinese company does injection mold production. I just thought it might be cheaper than having them vacumed here in the US?? The scary part would be sending this one out of the country and it disappearing.... Heck, I've even looked in having them printed??

I have one of them. I do know that they will not work on the bike if you have the Flanders Bars. They will hit and move the pod at full turn,that is why I went with RSTD bars , they do not hit the pod.

The pod will ever so slightly hit on a stock RSV, and forget about risers. I thought about relieving this one a tad before having anything done to it.

Well it seems there is some out there, and if someone is getting rid of the one they have I still have a chance to find one.

So Condor is the one on your bench for sale?? Thats what I'm looking for I'm Just checking.

The original one I saw was chrome or polished aluminum. If it had to be black so be it.

Anyway keep us abreast of your progress.

Thanks again you guys are OUTSTANDING...........Ron

Well it seems there is some out there, and if someone is getting rid of the one they have I still have a chance to find one.

So Condor is the one on your bench for sale?? Thats what I'm looking for I'm Just checking.

The original one I saw was chrome or polished aluminum. If it had to be black so be it.

Anyway keep us abreast of your progress.

Thanks again you guys are OUTSTANDING...........Ron

Friesman called it in his post, but to make it clearer.... my fingers will be cold.. and I'll be dead... :)

I've never seen or heard of one made out of chrome. Every pod I've ever seen has been black plastic. But....maybe someone had a plastic one chromed?? Personally I'd leave it black. That pod in chrome would reflect a bunch. :bluesbrother:

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old post but would it work on an 07 RSTD ? I'd like a tach and not have to add something else to the handle bars.

The pod is RSV only. I have seen pods...or frames... that will work with Harleys, and just maybe they work with the TD??

I've kicked this around until dead....I would like to fab a chrome piece to replace the piece that we now have on out tank to hold one or two gauges but don't have a 3 axis cnc..... only a 2. I'm gona keep thinking about it but for now I've orderd a barons white faced 3" tach and I'm going to remove the bottom 1/2 and mill the flat to the proper angle to fit on the chrome piece that wraps my windshield.

It'll be dead center and visable thru the windshield aka race car style.....

Bobhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/bobn/Star/DSCF0727.jpg

• 1 year later...
Sorry to open an old thread...but....

Condor....did you have some of these made ?

No problem. Like a lot of things sometimes a good idea gets put on the back burner. That's where the pod sits. Actually it's on the '99, and the '99 has been sitting. At the time I thought about having them made using the vacuum mold, but the cost for the mold was ridiculously expensive. Lately I've been thinking about having one 'printed', but here it's the initial cost of having it scanned. The printing technology is changing rapidly, and someday it may bring costs down. I ran into a printer at Sam's Club that used... from what I can gather... heated plastic instead of a tub of powdered plastic. Another monkey wrench is with the RSV being discontinued just how much interest would there be to offset the initial cash outlay. I'd certainly hate to have a couple of hundred of these things sitting around for years. So for now it's just going to sit. That's my story and I'm...yada..yada... :-)