Please offer up your prayers to the families and friends and staff for the victims of the school shootings this morning at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Conn. 18 children and 8 adults were shot and killed by a lone gunman. One of the victims at the school was the shooter's mother. The school was K-4th grade. This is happening all to often. The shooter was a 20 year old male that just entered the school and used two high capacity hand guns.

Edited by DragonRider

There is no possible way that I could imagine the grief that is collectively felt by the people of that community. I would pray that they receive the guidance and comfort that they so desperately need.

Equally unimaginable is what possessed the young man to perform such a despicable deed. The deliberate action to cause as much pain as possible, to as many as possible, should be a thought that is beyond any consideration. We are a country heavy with the burden of way too many of these incidents.

Lord, please grant us the wisdom to discern the path for us to take in avoidance of the evil that lurks in the soul of mankind.

Pray for those that grieve, pray for us all.

This has been an unspeakable tragedy that has profoundly impacted me and my colleagues in light of real lock down experiences and repercussions that have happened in my school district and that I've had to deal with personally in the last week. On behalf of educators in Canada we have expressed our sincerest sympathies to the families and friends of the educators....

Rachel Davino

Dawn Hochsprung

Anne Marie Murphy

Lauren Rousseau

Victoria Soto

Mary Sherlach

To deal with the loss experienced by the children's families and friends appears insurmountable.

I expect that post traumatic stress would surely be a factor for law enforcement, reporters and legislators. I feel for them all, and wish all connected to this tragedy find the healing and support needed at this time.

A very sad thing for everyone every where. Every parent has the feeling their child is as safe as in a school as in their own home.

I wish to share this that someone shared on my FB page:

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed

people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Hopefully we never experience what happened at the Beslan school massacre in Russia in 2004 where appr. 186 children were killed. Different scenario, but could easily happen here. I went through a three day active shooter course several years ago and the intel then was the possible scenario of several large scale attacks nationwide to draw mass hysteria. Now the trend seems to be suicide attacks. I feel for all those involved in Ct. from the parents to those behind the scenes.

I refuse to post the shooter's name in any post. What is posted on the Internet is there "forever". It is the victims, both children and adults, that need to be remembered.

Anyone that worked on the scene will need assistance, as will any child who attended the school. Already children from other classes are questioning why their schoolmates, their friends were tanken away and not them.

I feel for the parents... imagine the loss of their ownly child, of the brother and sister who will no longer have their sibling sitting down to dinner. They will remember their loss for the rest of their lives. How they will deal with the presents they were planning on giving their child this Christmas, of seeing their child's bedroom and personal affects around them.

No one should have to deal with this now, or in the future.

Charlotte Bacon, 6 yr old

- Daniel Barden, 7 yr old

- Rachel Davino, 29 yr old

- Olivia Engel, 6 yr old

- Josephine Gay, 7 yr old

- Ana M. Marquez-Greene,6 yr old

- Dylan Hockley, 6 yr old

- Dawn Hochsprung, 47 yr old

- Madeleine F. Hsu, 6 yr old

- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6 yr old

- Chase Kowalski, 7 yr old

- Jesse Lewis, 6 yr old

- James Mattioli , 6 yr old

- Grace McDonnell, 7 yr old

- Anne Marie Murphy, 52 yr old

- Emilie Parker, 6 yr old

- Jack Pinto, 6 yr old

- Noah Pozner, 6 yr old

- Caroline Previdi, 6 yr old

- Jessica Rekos, 6 yr old

- Avielle Richman, 6 yr old

- Lauren Rousseau,30 yr old

- Mary Sherlach, 56 yr old

- Victoria Soto, 27 yr old

- Benjamin Wheeler,6 yr old

- Allison N. Wyatt, 6 yr old

The first victim-his mother Nancy.

Today, the staff and students at The Guelph Collegiate and Vocational Institute remember the staff and students who lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012. The Canadian flag was flown at half mast, the Principal led the school with some words and a moment of silence.

May we all find peace in the coming days.