IGNORED

Clutch Repair... Gasket?

Bob and Mary

I finished replacing the friction disks in about an hour. No small accomplishment for someone who is generally all thumbs. Of course then there was the hour and 1/2 with goo gone and a few scrapers of assorted shapes and sizes to get all the old gasket off.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to first generation tech talk. The picture and tips are great.

Also... When putting the cover back on, do I need to coat the new gasket with RTV or other gasket sealer?

Thanks,

Bob

You shouldn't have to. One thing to remember is after a sealer made out of silicon is used, resealing with another sealer will not work unless the surfaces are cleaned completely, and the only way I know how to get back to bare metal is mildly sanding the surface. What happens is the pores of the metal become contaminated with silicon, and nothing will stick to the cured silicon...not even more silicon... I usually take a piece of scrap of window pane and lay a sheet of mild grit sand paper on the glass. Get as much of the sealer off the cover as best you can then take the cover and work it on the sandpaper in a circular motion. This will also true the surface back up. On the mating surface I use a large flat sanding block. Once this is done using the gasket only will not leak.