IGNORED

Contest starts NOW!

Freebird

Where to begin. During the 80's when I was a civilian I always was laid off the end of November, so I found Christmas depressing.

A couple of years ago I convinced my wife we should do something completely diferent. I made all the arrangements, and we spent Christmas in Hawaii. The girl still talk about it, and Leslie said it was the best Christmas we have had in the 20 some odd years of marriage. We keep talking about doing it again, but we haven't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most memorable Christmas actually came in 2010. After a divorce it was the first Christmas in my very own home.Because of the divorce I had lost many of the family members I also called friends. The Christmas' I had shared with them were all in the past. but that year I had met a very unique woman. tall, dark and with a child like smile she too had lost a family to divorce. Her husband had died 12 years before they had no children of their own and when he died all the people that she had known as family turned and walked away. Things got rougher and rougher for her as the years went on. The only two members of her own family lived hundreds or thousands of miles away.

The year we met Christmas was a long ways away but as it got closer i learned that it had been years since she had every had a tree, or decorated it or did any of the many things that I had taken for granted as Christmas. Though we were both well into our fifties she was as excited as a kid as we bought the Christmas tree and set it up. From a box in her closet she pulled out old wooden ornaments that she hadn't used in year. Watching her crawling around on her knees as she placed ornaments on the lower branches She seemed to be in heaven. We wrapped presents for days with big stupid grins on our faces. You've never seen anyone so excited about buying gifts for my adult kids who would be there on Christmas Eve. And when they arrived our home and she glowed with an incredible Christmas spirit. Several times that day I would catch her smiling as she handed out a present or hear her laugh and I had tears in my eyes. I'd never seen a woman so happy. I gave Carol Christmas that year and a family to go with it. But she was a Christmas Angel she brought so much love and appreciation of the Holiday into my life. It is something I will always remember. It was a new Christmas for both of us and the most memorable in a very long time.

My most memorable Christmas will be this Christmas, simply because our youngest daughter, her husband and our granddaughter will be coming home. All our children will be together for the first time in a long time. I know this is supposed to be a memory but I am jumping the gun knowing that this has all the makings of be one of the best Christmas's in a long, long, time. Merry Christmas!

Yama Mama:santa::rudolf:

Our Blessed CHRISTmas:

My special CHRISTmas was in 2009. My daughter was deployed in Afghanistan as a Military Police Officer with her Airborne Unit out of Ft Bragg NC. Deployed in May of 2009, she was stationed at a Combat Out Post with her squad. Her mid tour leave was to be in November of 09. We knew that during the time she was there she was in several fire fights with the Taliban.

On the morning of October 30, 2009, we spoke to our daughter on the phone. There was an 11 ½ hour variance in the time zones so it was already her night. She wasn’t feeling well but was supposed to go on a mission but was given the evening off by her Sergeant and she was going to bed.

Anytime when we knew she was safe for the night, we could have a better day. At 10:30AM while driving to complete some interviews at the State Law Enforcement Training Academy, I received a phone call from a number similar to, but not my daughter’s phone. When I answered it, it was the call in every parent’s nightmare.

All I heard was loud noises and yelling in the background when my daughter’s voice came on and said “ Daddy…they blew us up daddy…they blew us up.” I kept asking her if she was alright or if she was hurt. She finally answered with “ It really hurts Daddy.. they blew us up”

I asked her where she was and where they were taking her. She said she had to go… I asked again several times …”where are they taking you ? “ as I knew that if she said Germany, it was very serious. Her response sounded like “ “Kosovo” I blurted out that we didn’t have bases in Kosovo..and again asked her where she was going. She answered with “I have to go Daddy..I have to go.. I love you…” Then the line went dead.

I sat at the side of the road stunned. I had to call my wife at her work and tell her. That didn’t go well either. I had to go finish with my scheduled interviews of some of the instructors at the academy, then raced home.

I spent hours on the phone Googling every Army base name that even remotely sounded like “Kosovo” . I called a friend who is an Army recruiter in Washington State and had him working with me on locating a number at Ft. Bragg that I could call.

During this time my wife’s cell phone rings with a Ft. Bragg area code. When she answered it, a Lt. Colonel asked if we had talked to our daughter “today”. My wife handed me the phone and he asked me the same question. Not knowing if she was supposed to have called us I refused to answer and then, not using the nicest language I told the Lt. Colonel he “better f-ing quit playing word games and asking questions and tell me what was going on”

He explained that my daughter and 3 other soldiers hit an IED in their MRAP while on a mission. All four survived, but 2 were seriously injured. My daughter was one of the two, but he didn’t know to what degree her injuries were.

We then lived through the longest 48 hours of our life… waiting for the phone to ring with information. I kept looking outside praying that a white sedan would not pull up to the front of the house.

When my daughter called she was in the hospital in Kabul. She laughed and said that she was wearing “civies” for the first time in 6 months. They had cut her BDU’s off her at the site before airlifting her to the hospital, and the nurses there had found some sweats and a T-shirt for her to wear.

She had a Traumatic Brain Injury and back injuries from the 220lb gunner falling on top of her when the MRAP went over. Found out that she was knocked unconscious and they originally thought she was dead. When she first came through she had no feeling or use of her legs. After they dragged her out of the MRAP, her legs came back and from what her fellow soldiers told me, she “sprang”’ into action with the other soldiers on setting the perimeter and securing the arms and “stuff” in the MRAP before collapsing again. EOD said that their IED was approximately 200 lbs of explosives, and that most IED’s were 50 - 60 lbs. If they hadn’t swerved at the last minute and had taken the full impact of the explosion, nobody would have survived. The explosion was so big, instead of flipping the MRAP over, it lifted it up and sucked it back into the crater.

Anyway, about CHRISTmas, she was able to come home on December 27th, 2009. When she walked down the walk way at the airport, the applause from family and friends made everybody else in the area stop and look to see what was going on. We held CHRISTmas over two days and celebrated it like we never had before. She was still recovering from her injuries, but we asked her what she wanted to do. She said she wanted to go to Disneyland. The next day we were there.

She really enjoyed the fun and “fantasy” even though she had been there before. It was just a chance to forget about where she had been. That was until on a ride at California Adventure, where it was one of those 3-D rides. You know when you are inside but it feels like you are flying around the Grand Canyon and Vegas etc. Well at one point the Blue Angels jets fly close over head from behind. The sound of jets whining so close and so unexpected, well had a scary effect on her. She was visibly shaken as we left the ride. Only to walk outside as the fireworks were started and the explosions vibrated and echoed from above. Again, the timing was unexpected as she reactively dropped to the ground behind a pillar. Her reaction stunned me, only to make me realize what my little Princess had been through. Still suffering from headaches and related dizziness, we called it a night. The next day we drove her to her favorite of all places…the beach. She sat in the sand, walked in the surf, drew pictures of hearts and wrote her name in the sand. Had to make an unexpected stop at SeaWorld too.

Those two weeks went by so fast. The night before she was to board a plane to return to Afghanistan we had a family dinner at a local restaurant . After dinner she left to drive my father ( her grandfather) home. Minutes later she called crying hysterically. She kept saying “she’s dead daddy, she’s dead” . After calming her down I found out that she had received a call that her battle buddy Kayla, whom she had gone through boot camp, Military Police School, and was stationed at Ft Bragg and deployed together, had been killed in an IED hit on their MRAP.

We did find out the next day just as we were taking her to the airport, that Kayla had actually survived, but was very seriously injured. Two of the other soldiers from their unit in the MRAP, were killed.

I can tell you that it was another VERY long 6 months until my Princess came home. That little trooper finished her deployment then succumbed to the on going injuries in which she is still recovering.

But that my friends, was the best CHRISTmas ever, having my family together and knowing how close it came to not happening.

Edited by KIC

A memorable happy Christmas was many years ago when I was 10.

Life was simple - no worries of presidents killed - no Cuban Missile crisis yet - didn't know what politics was - if you wanted to work, you could find a job - real tree in the living room - just a happy simple time.

A peaceful memory.

JohnB

Many Christmas' have come and gone in my sixty years, but the Christmas I remember most was the year 1975. My wife and I had been married just over a year and lived in a cramped apartment and I was the proud owner of a 350 Yahama. Well that year my wife traded our motorcycle in for a 650 Yahama. Man I was in heaven. There was about 2 feet of snow and it was freezing cold but I couldn't wait to go riding. So, one night we dressed in layers of clothes and headed out on the road. People looked at us like we were crazy. I kind of got worried when my wife quit talking,I thought she was frozen, but nah she was just busy looking at the Christmas lights. We slid a little here and there, but the night was crystal clear with a full moon. We drove along back roads and ended up at my folks home. When we got off the bike my wife's hunting pants were frozen stiff and I had snotcicles frozen to my beard. After warming up I couldn't talk my wife into getting back on the bike to go back home--women can be funny that way. She opted to ride in a car and follow me home. When I think back to that night I marvel that we didn't get killed on the bad roads or suffer from frost bite. Man, we were young and dumb -- but we had fun that night. If I'd ask my wife to go for a ride on the bike this winter, she'd have me committed.

My most memorable Christmas was 1979. I was stationed in Germany as were all my brothers and brother in law. Mom and Dad traveled over to see us, first time all of us had been together in 17 years. We all spent Christmas together and then the folks spent some time with each of us. Dad had been in the Army in WWII and had come through the Kaiserslautern area where I was stationed. I found an Army publication that gave a day by day accounting of where different units had been and we were able to trace his route back into France.

My most memerable Christmas was 1981, we had just moved to Lakeland, and had planned to travel up to Brooksville to celebrate with the rest of the family after my daughter (2) had opened her presents. Well she woke up and was as sick as any little kid could ever be, so it was clear to us right away that we would not be able to travel the 70 odd miles and clebrate with the rest of the family. We called to let everyone know and then pondered what we would do for Christmas dinner.

Well about an hour and a half later the front door bell rings , and there is the rest of the family with presents and dinner , half cooked turkey and all, in hand. So we put the food back on the stove and turkey in the oven, opened presents and had a great day.

This is a nice "contest" as well as a chance to mingle and learn about one another. My best Christmas was when I was formally integrated into my girlfriends 2 small children (1 and 3 y.o.) it was nice to have a family atmosphere from the dysfunctional family I originally came from. I left NYC in 2005 to head to Florida. Fast forward to this Christmas and my GF is now my gorgeous wife and those precious children have me wrapped around their fingers. I used to mind kids, and " wasting my time" with there nonsense. However, I realized I wasted a lot of my time being single, not knowing the joy and passion needed and given to make a family shine. I am thankful and grateful I was able to be open enough to be part of such a wonderful family. And it all started with those precious angels.... I do not mind if I win the contest, I am just trying to participate and learn something about myself as well as everyone here. Thanks for letting me share. ( now I head back to the forum where confusion sets in again

There have been many, but the one that stands out happened a couple of years ago when my daughter chose the name of little girl and boy off a wishing tree. They had a single Mom that was having a very difficult time.Their wish list included a few simple items items such as a toy, a doll,and some clothes. I don't remember the wording in the letter, but it touched my daughter deeply. On the evening she went shopping, I came home to find our living room full, I mean full, to the point you could hardly navigate through the piles of toys, clothes, and goodies.

When I asked her about it, she smiled and said, "they need Christmas more than us."

The best Christmas gift I received that year was not that she didn't give me a gift but the look in her eye and the smile on her face as she left to deliver the gifts to organization for someone she didn't know and would never meet.

My family is military. We grew up in the military, traveling every 3yrs or so as a way of life. My Dad was a Chief Master Sargent for the Air Force, My sister just retired as a Full Colonel with the Air Force, my other sister married Air Force and my brother and I were lowly grunts, he in the Marine Corp, and I with the Rangers. Needless to say we have, and had, been scattered all over this globe. At one time my Dad was stationed in Turkey, my brother in Italy, I in Kansas, and the rest were holed up in Texas.

So in 1982 at the end of my service career we were all coming together for Christmas for the 1st time as a family since 1976 when I had left for the military. I remember that the gifts under the tree were about to overtake the living room. I remember losing count around 120 or so. I cannot remember what 1 present was but I do remember the joy of all of us being together again! That is what made the Christmas of 82 so special!!!

I have a picture of the seven of us hanging on my office wall from then. It was the last picture of us taken of all of us together. We have gone on in the military tradition of being scattered!

Christmas has always kinda been a bummer for me. I think mostly because I am or was a Christmas Baby. For most Christmas babies there is usually a feeling of being gypped out of your birthday since it always seems to get overlooked due to the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. You eventually get over it in time but, the disappointment never seems to completely go away and on the rare occasions when someone takes the time to personally recognize the birthday of a Christmas baby it really means a lot.

One of those times in my life that really meant a lot was the first year that I was a member of this forum many years ago. On that occasion, my birthday as I recall was a real bummer. NO One had remembered and/or acknowledged my birthday and as I recall I was really bummed out.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the reason for the season is not about me. And, Its not that I expect to be showered with gifts or parades organized in my honor. But, it is nice when someone takes the time to say Happy birthday. Meaning I celebrate the anniversary of YOUR birth and existence.

On that particular year one of the members of this forum did and posted a Happy Birthday thread to the AtlantaDragonslayer and many others responded. Since I was a new member at that time, I was surprised and moved. As I recall It meant a lot to me and cheered me right up. I know that the web site automatically e-mails happy birthday sentiments to it's members. But someone went to the trouble to do more and post a thread to that effect.

I don't believe that has happened since but on that year it did mean a lot and made that particular Christmas memorable.

It took me almost a year to realize that I had just had my most memorable christmas. this went all the way back to thanksgiving of 2000 my mom had missed thanksgiving because of a massive stroke, on that ultimately should have killed her. Somehow through miracle of God she survived and was out of the hospital by Christmas. Due to Her recovery she came to live with me for a short time. My mom loved christmas and had does all her shopping all year round, each family would get this huge 4 foot stocking, not to mention the 4 lawn and leaf garbage bags for presents. Well she panicked that she did not have enough for each grandchild and made me go through and count all the presents and we went from store to store so she could even it out, we finally finished and christmas time came. My kids woke up and ran in to get grammy and the 4 hours present opening session began. Excitement with every package and my moms beautiful smile and funny grin accompanied everyone. We then proceeded to our whole family christmas with all eleven grandkids circled around grandma just waiting for her to give them something. All of us there together thinking we had forever together. The day after thanksgiving 2001 my mother passed away of cancer. I still sit down and watch the videos of that christmas to hear my mom laugh and the grandchildren scream with joy..If I could only have 1 more!

Being one of 7 kids we had a lot of eventful Christmas holiday antics. My father worked at one of the local hospitals. We always went to midnight mass and when we got home we would find that Santa had visited. I was about 12 years old, while we were leaving church my folks found out that a fire had destroyed the house of one of my father's co-workers. As we all were loaded in the station wagon my folks were taking forever and we were anxious to get to the goods. When they returned to the station wagon my father informed us that we were going to open presents but that we would have to set aside one gift each. The feeling of being robbed came over me and I know my brothers and sisters also. It was an absolutely blind draw as we decided what to give up, it was agonizing. This was the one day where we could stay up late, and the night was getting longer. My folks informed us we were going to be delivering our gifts. We arrived and went into the basement of a house where a temporary arrangements for the family were set up. A lot of folks brought food and clothes by but the presents were thin pickins. As we saw the family the feelings changed to shame. This night turned into a huge unplanned party of epic proportions that didn't end until it was daylight.

Maybe not the best but definitely the most memorable..

My daughter was away at university at the other side of the country and had been for awhile. She was planning on making it home for Christmas. We got a call to ask if she could bring friends home with her.. usually a full house is lots of fun so this is good.. Anyhow she brought three exchange students home for Christmas. One from Korea, One from France and one from Turkey. It was AWESOME.. Got to take them to Niagara Falls and also took them to Church for Christmas service. Had some other friends over for Christmas dinner as well. The whole visit was a blast and very rewarding to share our time with these girls so far from home.

The girl from France was enjoying herself so much she forgot to call home. The girl from Turkey was a Muslim but agreed to attend services with us and the girl from Korea took pictures of EVERYTHING....

We would do it again given the chance..

When was the best Christmas t'is hard for me to tell

For good times were had and some were real swell.

My mother did say of when I was four

And we had just moved to find a new shore

From Holland we came to start a new life

My dad, five kids, and even his wife.

We had a place to live and dad had some work

We had money for food and the rent, but no perk

Christmas was coming, it was on the new morrow

We were all in bed, mom, dad and all of us thorough.

I was the youngest and darkness was deep

When my parents did rest and longed for some sleep.

At three in the morning my mother awoke

Some noise she was hearing it wasn't no joke

She listened, and then she woke dad with a start

Listen she said, our youngest is plucking my heart

He's singing a song that the angels well knew

What woke me up, I haven't a clue.

I don't remember a thing from that night

My mom didn't bother to turn on the light

All kids were awake to listen to me

As I sang about Angles and Glory to be

The song was in Dutch I remembered it all

It made a good Christmas of that she'd recall

For her it was special for all that was given

She knew that through Him we could all end up in heaven

In Dutch

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I was unable to find an English rendition, so I typed in the words so you can follow and understand. I hope it works out.

Ere zij God, ere zij God

Glory to God, Glory to God

In den hooge, in den hooge, in den hooge

In the highest, in the highest, in the highest

Vrede op aarde, vrede op aarde

Peace be on earth, peace be on earth

In den menschen een welbehagen

To the people who God delights in

Ere zij God in den hooge

Glory to God in the highest

Ere zij God in den hooge

Glory to God in the highest

In den menschen, In den menschen

To the people, to the people

Een welbehagen

Who God delights in

In den menschen, een welbehagen

To the people who God delights in

een welbehagen.

Who God delights in

Ere zij God, ere zij God

Glory to God, Glory to God

In den hooge, in den hooge, in den hooge

In the highest, in the highest, in the highest

In den menschen een welbehagen

And to the people whom God delights in.

Amen, amen

My first and only white Christmas I can remember was 1976. We traveled from our home in Texas to my grandparents in Arkansas. I received a bicentennial electric train which I still have today. I set it up around the Christmas tree years ago for my girls when they were old enough to enjoy it. Can't wait for the grand kids to get a little older and share it with them I just hope it can compete with the WII and all these new fangled toys that will never last 36 years.Oh Yeah the SNOW was great.

Can't really say that one Christmas sticks out more than others in my mind....Each and every Chistmas is special to me...I love spending time with my children and grandchildren...Seems like we are always to busy with our lives to get together ....I mean ALL of us at the same time and same place....One rule in our family is that CHRISTMAS EVE is reserved for us and us alone....well and a special friend or two....I love Christmas even if it snows that day....:fnd_(16):

All my Christmas memories has been good because it is a time when family comes together. I can't just narrow it to one Christmas because of any certain toy. I have been blessed to have been surrounded by a loving family each year. I again know that this Christmas will be very special as plans are in place for another family gathering with lots of food. Also my little girl is now just old enough to get excited about this Christmas. Going to be interesting...

:santa:

My mother cherished an antique, crouched black lepard TV light that she got from her mother's home when she died... the devastating flood in eastern Idaho (Teton Dam failure) of 1976 took basically everything away away from mom's home. A few years before her death I tracked down it's mate and sent it, anonomouos, but return addressed it with her mom's name. The wrapping barely hit the floor before it was proudly esconced on the TV amid a whole bucket of tears. Made my whole year! Never did leak the source, no reason, it was on the wrapper.

Lots of good Christmas times in my years, due to good family relationships and always getting together with those who could make it and remembering those who couldn't. Great ones when our kids were little, and now as our grandkids are 6 and under. Best one, however, would be Christmas 1977, when my (now) wife said "Yes" and we went to the family parties as an engaged couple for the first time.

Thanks to all who have shared. Merry CHRISTmas to all of you!! :bighug:

Not wishing to participate in the contest, i just want to thank freebird for yet another way to bring this group closer together..your darn good at that!

Also to thank everyone for sharing your stories.

Happy holidays everyone.

Mike/Cherie/Teresa