IGNORED

Replaced stator now have a buzz from side cover

Replaced my stator with a high output one from Buckeye and all was well until yesterday morning I started it up and when I revved it up just a little I got a buzz (vibration) so I took the covers off again and the bolts are tight but I can still move the stator very little by hand so I am going to get some shorter bolts to see if that helps.

Could not see any places where anything made contact.

Edited by etcswjoe

Just a thought on that buzzing. If the bolts are loose enough that you can move the stator by hand it's likely that the magnetic pull of the magnets in the rotor are causing the stator to shift, or vibrate as you're seeing no sign of contact.

It's been a few years since I installed the Buckeye upgrade in my '84 but I remember installing new bolts and washers on the stator, and blue Loctite.

As it sounds like it's been a bit since you installed the upgrade the bolts may not have been tight enough and worked loose a bit.

:2cents:

Mike

• 4 months later...

Joe,

Thanks a million for your post. I had replaced my stator about a thousand miles ago when I started to hear what sounded like a main bearing failure. It was more of a rattle than a buzz. I panicked and thought this was the end of my motor (98K miles). I was about ready to part out the bike when I found your post.

This morning I opened up the left side engine cover and voila, the 3 stator bolts were lose. I used a drop of red locktite on each bolt's threads, probably overkill. Put everything back together and the bike runs and sounds like it should.

Again, thanks Joe & thanks for this forum.

Got the stator back in and seems to be doing well, I think the bolts had worked out. Bought a new tube of loctite this time just to make sure. Now I just need somewhere to ride to maybe I will go look for the scavenger hunt target.

Cmon down next Wed when me and ToyOdie try to figure out the valve adjustment thingy....