IGNORED

Not to bash Harley's but.....

Trader

You know I just gotta throw some gas on the fire. This is no joke. On my way home tonight on I-96 west heading through Wixom, there was a nice looking HD, very nice looking I might add, sitting on the shoulder. Street glide. No rider. Got about a mile up the rode and I see a guy walking. Traffic was at a crawl, I asked him if he was out of gas and if he needed a ride. Nope, no ride, got plenty of gas. He said it broke down again. He was leaving it there for the dealer to come pick it up. He was not happy, offered to take him to the next exit to a gas station. He would not even answer. Hope he enjoyed his walk.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a '11 road glide custom, and an 08 rstd. Since I have bought the HD, I have put a total of 17 miles on my rstd (my son rides it now) in 2 years. I havent had a problem with my HD yet, and I have done some mods. as far as comfort mods I changed the handlebars (80 bucks) and went through 2 windshields till I found the right one. The ride on the Road Glide is second to none for me. I can go all day on the stock seat etc. I cant say the same with the Rstd. First year I had my Rstd, the nylon fabric strap in the bag hinge came apart leaving all the hardware down in the bottom of the bag. Havent had anything on my HD come apart yet. And yes you should see more of the HD's on the side of the road, theres a bajillion of them sold (nice number dont ya think.)

I have noticed with the HD's, most everybody tinkers with them, cams etc. They just cant leave em alone. When they tinker with the motors there goes the reliability. Part of it I think is 1-performance of course, and 2-make the bike their own,try to set themselves apart. When they pull into a parking lot theres 20 other HD's, a Venture/RSTD pulls into same lot, hes the only one there.

If Yamaha had a lot more options and accesories(especially aftermarket), I would have done things to my rstd as well. It was not comfy for me to ride at all. Matter of fact, as long as I own this road glide, I will never ride my rstd again, I never realized how much better a bike can sit, and how much the rstd didnt fit me. Yes there are a few options for the rstd, but I made some mods, and they were makeshift mods that I made fit from something else etc. Its nice to have all the availability to do what you want. The sky is the limit. And yes it does cost more no doubt, but I aint complaining of a sore backside and neck pinch after 150 miles either.

As far as the high cost goes, if I didnt ride bike, I probly would fish, I havent priced a Ranger, or a Lund Walleye boat with the 150 hp Merc, the 9.9 kicker motor, electic trolling motor,and the fancy fishing graph lately. I bet I'm getting a good deal on my HD compared to the fishing thing. Besides I can ride to a DQ, dont think I've ever seen a boat trolling through the drive thru.

Lastly, I am not trying to come across as a HD "elitist", just some observations I have come across since owning both brands. If I were an "elitlist" I would've left here a long time ago. And I have a few friends who constantly bash my bike calling it a "Hardley"etc. Its OK I am a big boy I can take it. But if they would really take a look at what they are constantly doing to me, they arent any different than the HD snobs they always bash.

When my cousin Matt bought his 2001 Ultra Classic he got it new with V+H exhaust and Power Commander. 80.000 miles later he did have to put an oil pump in it. Pressure was getting a bit low. 70.000 + miles later he traded it in for a 2012 Ultra Classic. Nothing else but routine maintenance. Not bad.

He, his wife, and 4 of their friends have a total of 6 bikes (HD) from 2010 to 2012 and every one of them ha had at least one, and some 2, voltage regulators in the first year of ownership. :sign **** happens: If something has tires and burns gas it will cost you money.

I would love a Street Glide with lower fairings and a killer stereo. It has the one thing that would make my 86 VR perfect. A lower saddle height. (and therefore lower center of gravity)

OK, there is one more thing. The one, and only, thing that HD has that no one can compare to or beat. Nothing else in the world sounds like a Harley. As long as it's not made to be too loud, there is no better sounding machine on earth.

Of course with a Street Glide I would be giving up a couple things. Liker vastly better performance and handling of my VR.

Good natured picking and poking is cool. And one helluva lot of fun. As long as we don't actually look down our nose at someone just for what they ride.

Unless of course they are on ANYTHING but a first gen VR. :whistling: :rotf: :innocent-emoticon:

Yes, what you ride is strictly a personal choice and you should choose a bike by how it feels to you!! In the past I've always picked a bike by how it felt when I swung a leg over and went for a ride. When it's the right bike for you, you know!!!

That being said, it's not necessarily Harleys I'm not fond of, they are an OK enough bike, it's the Harley "Mistique" that turns me off. What I have to laugh at is the younger crowd with the Harley clothes and the HD sticker on their window and you ask them what kind of Harley do they ride, and the answer is "I don't own a bike, but if I did it would be a HD..."

Yes, what you ride is strictly a personal choice and you should choose a bike by how it feels to you!! In the past I've always picked a bike by how it felt when I swung a leg over and went for a ride. When it's the right bike for you, you know!!!

That being said, it's not necessarily Harleys I'm not fond of, they are an OK enough bike, it's the Harley "Mistique" that turns me off. What I have to laugh at is the younger crowd with the Harley clothes and the HD sticker on their window and you ask them what kind of Harley do they ride, and the answer is "I don't own a bike, but if I did it would be a HD..."

I just the hate the parking lot comments of the uninformed when they walk by the Venture and comment nice HD or GW.

I actually had a guy stop me the other day and said he used to have a Venture and it was the best V-twin Yamaha ever made.

I actually had a guy stop me the other day and said he used to have a Venture and it was the best V-twin Yamaha ever made.

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I would love a Street Glide with lower fairings and a killer stereo. It has the one thing that would make my 86 VR perfect. A lower saddle height. (and therefore lower center of gravity)

I love the Street Glides. That is a sweet look, but I would get a Kawasaki Vaquero instead. Same style and pretty much the same options for ALOT less money. But if a street glide did become available for the right price, I maybe swayed. But it would have to be a real good price.

I just the hate the parking lot comments of the uninformed when they walk by the Venture and comment nice HD or GW.

The key word in your comment is "uninformed", and that isnt necessarily the peoples fault. That goes right back to Yamaha itself. They make no attempt to promote a good machine, I bet most people dont know that Yamaha makes a big full blown cruiser. They probly dont know anything at all about the Royal Star line. For that matter they probly dont know much of the Suzuki big bikes either. I would bet if you ask the public about motorcycles they would tell you about 2 or 3 brands. HD, Honda, and Victory. Throw in the Can-Am because of the commercial with the biker wave as they are riding the coast line. When a guy rides a "niche" bike like the Venture/RSTD you can expect those things.

When I did ride my RSTD. people would come across the lot right away to look at it, not because it was "cool", but to try and figure out what it was. When they saw it up close, they liked it. And if you want to make them run over to you, put some aftermarket pipes on your bike and start it up in the lot and let it warm up for awhile. The sound will draw them over for alot closer look! They know right away that it aint no Harley!!!!!

Maybe I'm wierd, and please tell if you think I am (LOL), but I have never been real comfortable bashing or talking down about what other people choose to ride. I think the motorcycle world as a whole is filled with cool bikes from every end of the spectrum. Heck, I love going into dealerships and looking at everything from crotch rockets (even though my big a$$ could never fit on one), to trikes and everything in between.

I am not a member of a motorcycle group, but I do have a pack of 6-7 that I regularly ride with on day long and weekend trips. When we ride together, we are on the following bikes; my RSTD, a BMW R1200RT, a BMW K1600GTL, a Goldwing, a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, an HD Roadglide Ultra, a Honda 919 naked bike, and a Suzuki C90T trike. When we ride, it's interesting to say the least. We look like a hodge podge mix of missfits, but we love it that way. None of us care what the other rides, we just want to enjoy being motorcyclist.

Thats one thing I like about this site, its that a large number of you own multiple brands of bikes. I'm not looking for a clone group where everybody rides the same brand of bike and wear cute vests that have the name of their clone group on it proclaiming to the world that they all think alike and want everyone to know it. LOL.

This certainly doesn't mean that I don't have preferences, and there are plenty of bikes that I wouldn't consider for one reason or the other (my biggest hang up is it's gotta be water cooled).

Yes, I poke fun at my buddies that i ride with about their bikes, and they do me too. I've told my BMW buddies that they are supporting the Nazi's, and I've poked fun at my cousin for riding a V-Strom adventure bike but not being very adventurous by staying on pavement all the time. I might've mentioned a time or two to my naked bike rider buddy that he is such a slow rider that he can't hang with his sport bike buddies, so he has to come ride with us. Stuff like that. But, having a true look down your nose attitude toward a bike brand or group of people and attacking the quality of a brand, well, I don't get it.

But, like I said, I'm kinda wierd. I can't change it.

What a great thread, I was really getting ready to give up on this site that Ive loved for so many years. I have made life long friends here and keep in touch with them. They have no problem with my new HD( right Don haha ). I was on a Yamaha product for the last 10 years 1st and 2nd gens and was ready for some of the new tech thats available now a days that yamaha seems to think there customers dont want or need.

I love my RGU and has been the most comfortable and smoothest riding bike Ive ever owned. Sure at idle it shakes but it is smoother than my 04 was on the eway. I was ready for a change.

My best friend and riding partner Big Mike that some of you know just bought a 2010 Ultra.He also spent many years on a Yamaha . When we were in Sturgis a couple of weeks ago in some high winds his tour pak opened at 75 mph on I90 and forced him off the road and he crashed in the medium . Got banged up pretty good. The bike had little damage which I was real surprised. I seen a couple RSVs just fall over from park and do more damage. He is back in the saddle again and feeling good. I was going to post this in the open forum but lately I feel it would just brought on some comments about him being on an HD.

Im glad to see some of the original guys that were here at the beginning of this site with me are still here and have good things to say .

Guest scarylarry

Good post and you are right about the RSV falling over doing more damage, mine was laid down at very low speed due the rider in front of me falling over, long story but she was very lack knowledge of riding, anyway the damage on mine was 7k and I rode it home 150 miles with no problem...

So my point is no MATTER what bike it might be repairing one is costly since they just order new parts and replace and don't repair just replace..

As one poster said they ALL break down, no I'm not and will not ever be brand loyal on anything..

I am going to MMI in Orlando. My classmates ride all different types of bikes and for the most part we enjoy kidding each other. Those who are sane realize that all the brands have strengths and weaknesses, but there are some here who don't just drink the brand kool aid, they bathe in it.

I think the best example is my current instructor (I am in a Harley phase). We were going over the layout of their service manuals the other day and he was bragging about how they were the best layout of any of the brands. He had been a Yamaha instructor at one time and thought that their manuals were written at too high a level. But Harley was awesome. The manuals are written for a year and family, i.e. 2012 Touring, so you have to make sure that you are following the right steps for your specific model. Then he pointed out to make sure and have the parts manual available, so you can look up the exploded diagram to help make sense of what you are being told to do. He also showed us how you can look up the part number and then go to a table in the back of the manual and find the actual dimensions of the fastener. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Yamaha has the exploded diagram right there in the service manual, and that the fastener sizes are built into the part number itself. I think this will be a long 24 weeks.

Maybe I'm wierd, and please tell if you think I am (LOL), but I have never been real comfortable bashing or talking down about what other people choose to ride. I think the motorcycle world as a whole is filled with cool bikes from every end of the spectrum. Heck, I love going into dealerships and looking at everything from crotch rockets (even though my big a$$ could never fit on one), to trikes and everything in between.

I am not a member of a motorcycle group, but I do have a pack of 6-7 that I regularly ride with on day long and weekend trips. When we ride together, we are on the following bikes; my RSTD, a BMW R1200RT, a BMW K1600GTL, a Goldwing, a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, an HD Roadglide Ultra, a Honda 919 naked bike, and a Suzuki C90T trike. When we ride, it's interesting to say the least. We look like a hodge podge mix of missfits, but we love it that way. None of us care what the other rides, we just want to enjoy being motorcyclist.

Thats one thing I like about this site, its that a large number of you own multiple brands of bikes. I'm not looking for a clone group where everybody rides the same brand of bike and wear cute vests that have the name of their clone group on it proclaiming to the world that they all think alike and want everyone to know it. LOL.

This certainly doesn't mean that I don't have preferences, and there are plenty of bikes that I wouldn't consider for one reason or the other (my biggest hang up is it's gotta be water cooled).

Yes, I poke fun at my buddies that i ride with about their bikes, and they do me too. I've told my BMW buddies that they are supporting the Nazi's, and I've poked fun at my cousin for riding a V-Strom adventure bike but not being very adventurous by staying on pavement all the time. I might've mentioned a time or two to my naked bike rider buddy that he is such a slow rider that he can't hang with his sport bike buddies, so he has to come ride with us. Stuff like that. But, having a true look down your nose attitude toward a bike brand or group of people and attacking the quality of a brand, well, I don't get it.

But, like I said, I'm kinda wierd. I can't change it.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: I agree, truth be known, I really don't care what you ride. He[[, I even wave at scooters now... I figure they take the same risk as us in traffic.

Guest scarylarry
He[[, I even wave at scooters now... I figure they take the same risk as us in traffic.

They are and a great deal at that, after all they have less lights and smaller to see, and most I have talk to don't want a MC they are out for one thing to save gas on a daily commute...

Also as added bonus they are some sharp looking women that rides them here..:cool10:

They are and a great deal at that, after all they have less lights and smaller to see, and most I have talk to don't want a MC they are out for one thing to save gas on a daily commute...

Also as added bonus they are some sharp looking women that rides them here..:cool10:

Under my present circumstances I really would like to find a classic scooter restoration project. I'm not doing a 40 mile a day round trip commute and a good deal of my travel is around the block and up and down the street to the store and back. It would be nice to have a scooter to putt around town on when you can't do more than

35 mph anyway.

Guest scarylarry

In Alanta I would do a around the block on anything that doesn't have the power to move...

I learn many years ago travel thru Atlanta after midnight and be out by 5 am, I have a sister that lives south of Atlanta and that was my timing on my visits..

In Alanta I would do a around the block on anything that doesn't have the power to move...

I learn many years ago travel thru Atlanta after midnight and be out by 5 am, I have a sister that lives south of Atlanta and that was my timing on my visits..

Yea but, if you've lived here all your life it's easy to move through the neighborhoods and avoid the busy roads.

Thing is with the scooters though.... are they bicycles or motorcycles? You see a lot of scooters being ridden like they are bikes - hugging the curb, not obeying signs.... hell, even see the odd one on the sidewalk !

Guest tx2sturgis
Under my present circumstances I really would like to find a classic scooter restoration project. I'm not doing a 40 mile a day round trip commute and a good deal of my travel is around the block and up and down the street to the store and back. It would be nice to have a scooter to putt around town on when you can't do more than

35 mph anyway.

For the money and time you will pour into a 'REstore', you could buy a cheap chinese scooter, around 150cc, like the one I bought. About $1000, it tops out at about 60 mph or so, and gets about 65 mpg. Around town, it will keep up with most traffic, although if the soccermom in the minivan next to you at the light wants to 'smoke' you, she will. :yikes:

Under seat storage will hold 2 or three small bags of groceries, and its a simple 'twist n go' automatic.

No, its not really comfortable, but its certainly ok for short trips around town.

Guest scarylarry
Thing is with the scooters though.... are they bicycles or motorcycles? You see a lot of scooters being ridden like they are bikes - hugging the curb, not obeying signs.... hell, even see the odd one on the sidewalk !

Mopeds are what I call them but over time they are called scooters...

Here they obey and watch more carefully from I see, but again this is downtown Nashville and they know better to look off or act stupid

Mopeds are what I call them but over time they are called scooters...

Here they obey and watch more carefully from I see, but again this is downtown Nashville and they know better to look off or act stupid

In my day, :backinmyday:

You had to peddle mopeds like a bicycle to get them started.

What I really want is a Cushman Eagle, Now those were the good old days.

I've had four mc's in the past five years: VTX1300, RSTD, ST1300, HD Road King. So far the best all-around is the RK. But in all fairness I have only had it for a couple of months. I've always been turned off by the HD crowd and refused to own one, but now I have one I can appreciate walking into a dealer and be able to purchase handlebars, lowers, etc off the shelf and not have to order add-ons. As far's as prices go, some things are cheaper. Got a set of the heritage style bars for $79, much cheaper than the Flanders bars for the RSTD with no drilling or modifications. The down side is HDs are more expensive.

Will I be at the dealer hanging out on Saturdays? Not Hardly! Nor will I be an unpaid sponsor with HD decals on my vehicles.