IGNORED

How many carry when on the road.

Condor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condor,you sincerly can not open this Can of Worms and NOT expect to get different Quotes from different Folks.

For me, it's quite interesting and as i see it for now, if the Discussion stays this polite, it would be ok for me.

Let's just try to stay that Way and take some Time in Posting. Maybe some more Words explain better what a Person thinks and feels about this Issue.

Condor,you sincerly can not open this Can of Worms and NOT expect to get different Quotes from different Folks.

For me, it's quite interesting and as i see it for now, if the Discussion stays this polite, it would be ok for me.

Let's just try to stay that Way and take some Time in Posting. Maybe some more Words explain better what a Person thinks and feels about this Issue.

Yeah!:sign yeah that:

My .38 stays in my car at all times....may be empty right now cuz I used up all my shots on a rattlesnake in the driveway that I finally had to get a .22, used all the shots on it, then got my 20 guage shotgun to kill it. Don't laugh it was a BIG snake. :rotf:

But I do carry the gun.

Guess I better buy some more ammo.:whistling::rotf:

Wolfie I'm with you on this one there is never enough ammo for a SNAKE

I have to go and get a permit for every handgun i buy from the police department I don't remember ever seeing a crook in there getting a permit or taking his gun back in for the registration after they get it like the honest people have to

also i cant think of one time when a news clip has said they shot some one or robbed some one with a legally registered gun

I feel there right when they say WHEN GUNS ARE OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS

do i carry only I know :whistling:

Ah - America. Land of the brave, home of the free!

If you wanna ride for days and days and days across one of the greatest countries on this earth, WITHOUT packing any sort of firearm, and ride safe and free without ANY fear of some crazy......

How do folks in Australia handle maniacs with hammers, pipes, and other deadly weapons?

Psychos, crackheads, etc., are everywhere.

Do I carry?

maybe

Part of the Patriot Act gave active Law Enforcement and Retired Law Enforcement with more than 15 years of service the Right to carry in all 50 States, but I wouldn't try to cross into Canada or Mexico with one. I don't have a problem with anyone that carries in the "US. A person can be charged with brandishing even though they have a permit to carry concealed. I don't worry about myself that much, but when my family is with me is a different question..... :2cents:

It's amazing to me that, with as blazingly hot the topic of gun control (or ownership) can be, this extremely extended "family" can discuss it through 80 some posts without anyone going ballistic! (Excuse the pun:rotf:)

It makes me proud to call y'all friends.

:thumbsup:

Guest KitCarson

Hi all: I did not think this post would survive this long.......I also figured someone would get their feelings hurt and start throwing rocks. I do not think Condor meant for it to go this way......but it has so I would like to say to those who are apprehensive about all us gun toting rednecks....hey we are the nicest people you have ever met. We love our family, our kids, our wifes and each other. There is no fear in the United States about those who legally carry a firearm, in fact it is a welcome knowledge that some do.

I grew up in the country.....on a very large farm, went to a high school that had 9 kids in the senior class. After I got out of the service I lived in many places in several states and we used to never even lock the house.

Now the world has gone crazy, people sell and deal drugs even in the nicer sub-divisions, every day on the news someone has shot someone over a drug or gang related incident.......and this stuff has now left the inner cities and has came home to almost everyone now. We simply have too many laws to support and develop crime, there are no punishments for crime, and the honest law-abiding person has no defense against this. The machine has got too large....too out of control.........so some of us do carry a weapon.

So anyone reading this......a visitor.......anyone.......we are a peaceful bunch, not a bunch of extremists.......we are just everyday people who do what we do......in the hopes if it ever comes home to us....we can maybe defend our family . Know one else will help us.......the police are never there when things happen.....they always get there after the door is shut, and if they hired 1000 police officers and put them in every town......just as fast as they lock them up......our laws will let them out.........no we are not bad guys.......just some old time American citizens who still have the spirit to defend what is right.

I REST MY CASE!

It is not much of a case, and neither side has any real evidence

here is the chart for robberies and armed robberies in Australia for several years. For the first 4 years after the gun ban, opponents argued the armed robbery rate went up drastically. but the chart show, armed robbery rate stayed at the same percentage of overall robberies as it always was and when the over all rate when back to normal so did the armed robbery rate. Gun control made no difference in the rate. Didn't help, didn't hurt.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Image:Robbery_victims_per_100K.png

It is not much of a case, and neither side has any real evidence

here is the chart for robberies and armed robberies in Australia for several years. For the first 4 years after the gun ban, opponents argued the armed robbery rate went up drastically. but the chart show, armed robbery rate stayed at the same percentage of overall robberies as it always was and when the over all rate when back to normal so did the armed robbery rate. Gun control made no difference in the rate. Didn't help, didn't hurt.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Image:Robbery_victims_per_100K.png

same thing happened in Jamaica, AFTER all GUNS AND AMMUNITION! were banned.

crime rate rose drastically, because the thugs, realized that they could rob you with a stick!

give up my fire arms! NEVER!!!!

just jt

I carry when I feel the need to. Living a stones throw north of the mexican border I'm feeling the need more and more often.

Friend of mine had his wife standing in front of his house with his daughter waiting for the school bus. 6 illegal aliens from Mexico beat the mother to within an inch of her life, bashed the girls head in and stole the family car.

After 25 years in the army I've taken a liking to guns so I have a safe full of them. M-1, M-14, AR-15, 30/06, .22, 30/30, side-by-side 12 gauge, 20 gauge auto, 12 gauge auto, (wife's) .357 magnum S&W, .45 Sig, .308 Firestorm, .Taurus Ultralite 38 special (wife's). I go out and shoot all of them regularly so you should see my ammo closet! I spend almost as much money on ammo as I do on our two bikes and my photography hobby.

Day to day I carry mostly my Kahr CW9. Fits into my leather jackets' special front pocket perfectly with no one the wiser. Had my Concealed Carry Permit 7 years now. Never felt the need to pull it, hopefully won't ever but considering that on some hunting days I see more drug runners than quail out in the desert I'll keep carrying.

Previous poster hit the nail on the head. CCW holders make for a very polite and safe crowd to be around.

For our Aussie friend: 1 out of every 3 prisoners in the USA is an illegal alien. If we ever get control of our borders the USA will once again be as safe a place as any. I hope to live that long.

Oh, and I'm surprised to see suggestions about locking this thread. What's wrong with polite discussion?

I always carry! But, then again, I am a police officer. I read police reports every day about people who are robbed or assaulted at gun-point or, worse yet, killed. If you read the statistics of states that have right-to-carry laws, the crime rates are much lower than those states that do not because crooks are less likely to assault someone if they are not sure if that person is armed or not. Here in California, it is nearly impossible for the average law-abiding citizen to get a concealed weapons permit. The problem is that the "bad guys" do not ask for permits, they just carry concealed. And our crime rate is through the roof! I will protect my family at all costs and if that means taking the life of an attacker, then so be it. The gun laws do not prevent crime, they only keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

:soapbox:

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only 2 states in the Union that do not offer any kind of a concealed/carry permit. Some states are almost impossible to get a permit without paying off the local sheriff, such as California, New York, and Massachusetts.

Yeah the politicians hate the competition. After all, if you go shooting crooks, the capitals would be empty..lol:cool10::rotf::rotf:

Well said Popeye, and I'm like Sleadhed. I carry all the time. I have a CW permit and proudly use the right to carry. I hope I never have the need for it but if I do I will protect mine and my family! If you do carry I hope you are responsible enough to get the training and lots of practice.

Come visit America you are much safer here than in Australia or any other country with strict gun control. do a little research you will find the crime rate in Australia is much higher than the U.S. http://www.gunowners.org/sk0703.htm Have a good day.

...that link is an article written by a guy who quotes a study done by the Fraser Institute. Here is the link of the full study.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/COMMERCE.WEB/product_files/FailedExperimentRev.pdf

took me a while to find it.

One general comment to note is that even though the rates in Canada for a period of time are increasing and in the USA decreasing, the relative numbers still show by far which country is safer to live in...if you go by the numbers. Additionally, a rate change can be due to many other factors...

Remembering that the Fraser Institute is generally known in Canada to be a fairly right-wing think tank, producing reports and using stats to show what it wants to prove, there were a couple of interesting charts in that report.

One shows how violent crime may be linked to immigration, and I've wondered how that (how many immigrants are coming to each country respectively, where are the immigrants coming from) might explain the changing rates between the 2 countries recently.

Another chart shows gun ownership in comparison to level of education. Apparently, people with more education have less of a need to own guns. Can anybody put a spin on that one?

Great discussion, enjoying the civility, and its appropo considering the International meet in July will be north of the border.

Looking forward to seeing all the "naked" owners coming across the bridge.

May the only bangs we hear be the back firing of those 2nd gen Ventures!!!

:)

Another chart shows gun ownership in comparison to level of education. Apparently, people with more education have less of a need to own guns. Can

I really don't think it's "spin" and don't know that it explains everything but I think that a big part of it is that most universities here now are ultra left wing in their teaching and ideologies. One of the left wing ideologies is strict gun control.

Thanks for that link. You are correct, very interesting charts indeed. Unless they are simply lying, looks to me like these particular crime rates per 100,000 citizens took drastic upturns in those countries that began to prohibit the carrying of handguns immediately after those bans became law all the while the same rates were and are dropping in the US.

To be honest, if someone could assure me that they had taken all the guns from our criminals I'd gladly give up my hand guns and kepp only my long guns.

Your mention of the role that immigration plays is interesting to me. Here in the US we have become a breeding ground for gangs of extremely violent foreigners who enjoy our legal systems habit of turning them loose on our citizens when in their own countries they would more likely to be beaten, killed or left to rot in jails. Yes, we too have our homegrown good-for-nothings but when you realize that 1 out of 3 inmates in the US are in the country illegaly you begin to realize just what an effect this illegal immigration problem is having on our day to day lives.

Another chart shows gun ownership in comparison to level of education. Apparently, people with more education have less of a need to own guns. Can anybody put a spin on that one?

I imagine that anyone can find a chart somewhere for just about any point they want to make, but that is certainly not the case in these parts.

I have shot competition with handguns for most of my adult life with folks from all walks of life. I don't see much difference in the level of education than I percieve here. Many highly educated people enjoy the sport of shooting just as they enjoy the sport of riding. A prime example is my oldest son. He has a BA and two Masters degrees and is the Vice-Principle of a Salt Lake City High School, shoots regularly and is quite handy with any firearm.

DJ

Simple logic, no spin. Correlation does not say anything about causality. Crime goes up in the summer, so do ice cream sales. Does that correlation mean we should outlaw ice cream?

I could pose any number of reasons for the correlation between education and gun ownership, all of which would be pure speculation. That same correlation probably exists between income and gun ownership. It may even exist between vocation and gun ownership. But it would still not say anything about the cause of that correlation. It would still be only speculation to imply causality.