IGNORED

2013 Venture

ediddy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6th gear would be nice.Also reverse for backing trailer up when loaded,would be good for parking in more spots.

To explain this... the "new" sixth gear would basically be what we have for the current 5th. Gears 1-4 would be changed in ratio's and become 5 gears. If the new 5th were somewhere between the current 4th and 5th would be okay with me as I find when 5th is too high (engine lugging), 4th sounds like it is reving a bit high. A new 5th would be good when trailering in this case.

The only gear I would change would be first. Make it lower for stop and go traffic, then mostly use second to start off from. Give the engine about 3-4 hundred more cc's for more low end torque. Other than that, leave everything else pretty much alone. Heck, if you could get the hp and torque to match, I'd say put in a 4 speed, after all, why shift, when you don't have to.

I already ahve my Venture. No need for another one and with the depreciation, I would buy it 2 or 3 years old anyways. What I am looking at is possibly getting a Kawasaki Vaquero as a second pony in the stable.

FYI the Vaquero will depriciate just as fast as a Venture. Better buy that Vaquero used.

Edited by 09RSTD

Nothing is going to happen.Looking very hard at the victory cross country. My 07 midnight is the best bike I `ve ever owned. But they need to get with the times. I understand if its not broken don't fix it. But!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not always a big advocate of getting with the times. Sometimes getting with the times is like walking closer to the edge for a better look but then taking one step too MANNNNNYYYYYYY>>>>>....... . . . . . :Avatars_Gee_George:

PS. I prefer having a cassette player on my bike to a CD player.

Edited by saddlebum

I only run 5th gear over 65 mph. I get mid forty for mileage. When you lug these engines they burn more fuel than normal.

:farmer:

I am one of those exceptions that run 5th gear 40mph and up if I am on level ground. I do not experience lugging and if I am riding up a slight grade I will wait untill I get to about 50 before I shift to 5th. the yamaha manual would have you in 5th at 30 mph. typically I average 45 to 50 mpg running 87 octane regular. Most of my riding is an even mix of two lane 55mph and freeway 70mph, round town well through town only takes a moment.

Al

:backinmyday:

My guess is they will follow the V-Twin route. Probably use the Strato Deluxe or whatever the bike they have now with fairing and bags. Add some do-dads maybe ABS, a radio-MP3/I Pod and a few K to the price. That way they will have a competive platform (V-Twin) engine size 1600-1700cc and can bump prices up to boot. Fuel injection will be a MUST. Emisions wise I dont know how they have skirted it.

Guest scarylarry
My guess is they will follow the V-Twin route. Probably use the Strato Deluxe or whatever the bike they have now with fairing and bags. Add some do-dads maybe ABS, a radio-MP3/I Pod and a few K to the price. That way they will have a competive platform (V-Twin) engine size 1600-1700cc and can bump prices up to boot. Fuel injection will be a MUST. Emisions wise I dont know how they have skirted it.

:big-grin-emoticon:

I'm assuming they will go the Vtwin route as well....better gas mileage etc. It's a shame...I don't own a Vtwin for a reason, and there are already plenty of options out there.

That will just leave Honda and BMW as viable options.

Not that I care a ton....my Venture isn't going anywhere, anytime soon :)

Its a shame that the V Max engine like the Goldwing engine may never see double duty again. In the Valkeryie the flat six was a winner. the V4 in the venture has always woorked so well. And you"d think spread costs out amongst a second model or third would be the right way to go.

Guest tx2sturgis

I did not see a 2012 Venture in the demo fleet this year at Sturgis.

If it was there, it may have been out for a ride, or in the shop having a new rear shock installed.

:whistling:

The large Kawasaki demo fleet was very impressive and those Vaqueros are sure purdy!

I did not see a 2012 Venture in the demo fleet this year at Sturgis.

If it was there, it may have been out for a ride, or in the shop having a new rear shock installed.

:whistling:

The large Kawasaki demo fleet was very impressive and those Vaqueros are sure purdy!

Brian, I rode the Voyager at a demo day recently. Same as the Vaquero, just with the tour pack. VERY nice riding machine. I really like the Candy Lime Green on the Vaquero. It makes it go faster.....................

Ditto on the Voyager....the ride is great and I really like the fixed fairing. That enhanced heat dissipation system is also a nice fix, but not sure the passenger's foot will enjoy the heat blowing right next to it. I also don't like how flimsy some of the "fit and finish" feels, like the trunk and saddle bag lid hinges.

I am visiting Kawi and Yamaha in CA this week on business, and hope to get a little more intel on the plans for the Venture in 2013. Like I said before, few if any of the U.S. guys are in the loop on model changes, and everything has a secret code name. But there are some signs that a 2014 model (to be offered in limited quantities next year) might be in the offing. I seriously doubt it will be a V-twin, but you never know. These guys seem to love the VMAX 4, and it would be so much more cost efficient to just boost the CC's and power then to start over. EFI is a must, though. All engine OEM's are tasked to upgrade fuel efficiency, lower emissions and "go green", or risk serious EPA compliance penalties. That includes all Japanese imports, Briggs and Koehler.

Bobby G, I'm glad you noticed the flimsy fit and trim. Makes me realize I wasn't imagining things when I test rode the Voyager.

I think the Voyager is cool and unique looking. It rides out great, and I really like the fact that it's liquid cooled. However, I was a bit put off at how flimsy and light weight all the plastic parts seemed to be. The windshield was so thin I noticed it vibrating from the air pressure while I was on the interstate, and the side bag doors were wobbly when we had them open. Another thing that bothered us was the passenger backrest didn't seem like it was attached firmly onto the trunk.

I don't know if Kawi was going for light weight to improve performance, or we're they just trying to save cost by going with a thinner material?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been checking this post every day hoping that there is some good news but none yet. I realy don't expect any but I'd love to be surprised. I spoke to a dealer yesterday and told him I loved the bike V-4, air cooled and all but I wanted Yamaha to just step up.

I find it hard to agree with a bike that hasn't been updated since '99 going for the same price point as bikes that have seen numerous changes in the past years.

Heck some of the competition didn't even exist in 99. Victory? Voyager? Come on Yamaha I don't think most of us want a totally different bike just an update of what we've got.

I'm hoping to buy a new tourer next year and Yamaha isn't even on my radar and that's so wrong, I've had more Yammys than any other make and I'd like to continue that.

Is anyone hearing anything else?

A friend of mine got a new Voyager a year ago. On our last ride together, we swapped bikes for a few miles just to see what the other side was like. I was very unimpressed. It felt flimsy and was noisy. It just felt very cheap. The only new bike I've ridden besides the new Harleys that I really liked was a Goldwing.

A friend of mine got a new Voyager a year ago. On our last ride together, we swapped bikes for a few miles just to see what the other side was like. I was very unimpressed. It felt flimsy and was noisy. It just felt very cheap. The only new bike I've ridden besides the new Harleys that I really liked was a Goldwing.

Easy,

That is true I have a buddy that has one and it looks great from about 15 feet but once you get close it does look flimsy. I didn't ride it (we aren't that close).

I agree on the Goldwing and I love the way it rides. But I can't see myself on one just yet. Heck--I'm still silly enough to look atbuying a sportbike.

I have looked over and over agian at the Cross Country Tour but not just yet.

Guest scarylarry

I own a voyager and I can say which jumping from one bike to the other VV will seem a lot different..

I like mine but there are some downsides to it as well, one is tranny clunks and there is no room for the passenger with a backrest added..

A cross country tourer would be my next new bike...Only thing I don't like is there is no heel and toe shifter...

I got the itch again for a big bike about 3 months ago. In hindsight I never should've sold my '04 Midnight last year, but that's water under the bridge. I got the hots for the Victory Vision 8-Ball, but just couldn't warm up to the fixed fairing. Then I checked out a Cross-Country, WOW, that is one nice ride. Weighs almost as much as the Venture, but is low and balanced, VERY sweet, just not too many comfort accy's out there yet. I talked to my dealer-dude about the new Ventures and he said that they were still teasing with fuel injection, but he said it probably wasn't going to happen til they make a wholesale change to them. He's heard rumors of some Victory-like changes, maybe a big v-twin, but he also said he's heard that they are looking at dropping it completely and revamping the 'liner into a big tourer. When I found this old '99 I decided that the several thousand $$'s I saved would be better held on to for possibly/probably triking it in a few years, plus, it's paid for. Besides, I already know what the Venture is, and even if it is "outdated" it's still got killer looks. Then again, I guess that's why there's so many 1st Gens around here too, huh? I like the looks of the Voyager/Vaquero too, but most everything I've read say they've got a lot of vibration in them, and I just got rid of that with the Roadstar. It all comes down to what you like and are comfortable with, after all, it's your $$'s you're spending.