IGNORED

My first venture problem

Today when I fired up the bike it started acting funny it idles fine if i rev it the tach and engine will rise to about 2500 rpm just past 2500 the tachometer drops to 0 and it starts to hesitate. when I ride it it does the same thing it gets to 2500 the tach drops and it will still accel but isnt all there "here is where it gets wierd" if you hold throttle and keep accelerating once the engine gets to about 4500 rpm the tach comes back to life and holy sh*t you better be holding on, because its just runs like a champ till get back into that range.

Has anyone ever had this issue before. I am almost certain it is an electric issue.

Most likely the #2 cylinder. The tach gets its signal from the #2 ignition circuit. Intermittent issues are the worst to find.

I would start by cleaning and checking all of the connectors in the ignition circuit. Yes they are a PITA to get to.

Ok this morning I go outside to start diagnosing hit the start button and it is running fine. The only thing I can think of is when it rained the other night something must have gotten wet.
Yup, wet TCI!! Time to relocate it on top of the airbox. You will probably want to unscrew the 4 screws on the TCI case and take the cover off and drain the water out of it. Then bake in the oven at 250 degrees for a half hour or so to dry it out. When you reassemble the case put a bead of vasoline around the case edge where it joins together to help waterproof. When mounting on topof the airbox one of the "ears" needs to be broken off for clearance. A large self tapping screw holds it in place on the airbox...